NEM Wallet Beta 2.4.4 - Bug bounty paid in XEM

All wallets that you can create in 1.x.x should give you a .wlt file.

So in theory users should already have it

3 Likes

Okay, I rephrase my question: Will it be possible to recreate a .wlt file from just a passphrase in NanoWallet 2.x.x, too?

@SuperSecretDude this looks like option to create brain wallet and brain wallets creation is disabled :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but right now itā€™s not possible to access brain wallets, either. And most brain wallet owners probably just remembered a passphrase. (brain wallet plus saving .wlt file and private key means you could have created a simple wallet in the first placeā€¦)

Then again, I am asking mostly, because that feature just vanished silently and there is no official word about it. Not even the warnings and features of 2.0.1x mention thisā€¦

Maybe should be information about this that brain wallet is removed and deprecated (for example third not active button with tooltip). Tooltip could also tell user that if he want use new wallet should generate first wlt file in old wallet and next import into new wallet. Maybe also should be put there warning that brain wallets are danger to use and should generate simple wallet and move funds there.
@mizunashi @Quantum_Mechanics what do you guys think about this? Maybe in some next version it will be goos to add something like this.

In my opinion itā€™s good that brain wallet was removed. Many new users could cause many account stolen.

Is Trezor wallet fully functional with the NEM wallet?
Can i use it now or should wait for offical announcement of the functionality?

There is, btw, a huge advantage brain wallets have: I can proof ownership by being the one whoā€™s able to create a walletā€™s private key.

So, there is also very good reasons for just keeping them away from stupid peopleā€¦

Is a Trezor tutorial going to be put together? Iā€™ve never used one. I also want to generate a new address/ account entirely Trezor side. I donā€™t want it on my computer. Is this possible?

Trezor published a guide here https://blog.trezor.io/announcement-trezor-integration-nanowallet-nem-xem-cryptocurrency-feature-803e7ffbf023

2 Likes

@SuperSecretDude

Creation of brain wallets is indeed disabled.

Itā€™s still in the code, just a couple lines to uncomment, but I donā€™t think we will have this feature again.

Maybe it could be added to an advanced mode

Brain wallet owners can still access their wallet with the .wlt file, the wallet password is the passphrase.

Brain wallet or simple wallet, in all case you must save the private key, and wallet file is mandatory because no private key in the brain wallet .wlt, just basic data for booting.

How do we restore the XEM from a Trezor seed if the device goes missing? Iā€™ve never come across anything else XEM related that uses seeds.

I canā€™t find an answer to this anywhere.

Please purchase TREZOR newly and enter the backed up word password into TREZOR.
Newly purchased TREZOR will be able to access the previous Wallet.

So another Trezor is the only way?

This is no good. What if Trezor the company fails and the software is no longer supported?

With Bitcoin and other coins you can use other wallets with the seed.

My private key was now encrypted and afterwards printed and hexdumped using xxd, to be able to just have it lying around while still feeling good, but I think being able to just use my passphrase would somewhat be more elegantā€¦ But, well, I got the message.

Currently, NEMā€™s software that supports word passwords does not exist.
Hardware wallet, TOREZOR only NEM is supported.
For this reason, TOREZOR is the only way to recover from word passwords.
Currently there is no degree of freedom in the method of restoration, so there are problems.
In the future it will be resolved.

Thank you for the answer. Thatā€™s not good. I wish Iā€™d known that before buying a Trezor just for this.

Thereā€™s no way Iā€™m risking anything on one companyā€™s methods.

So thereā€™s no way of accessing the private key to write it down from the Trezor? I know thatā€™s against the point, but itā€™s also the point.

Unless there something like this - https://iancoleman.io/bip39/ for XEM then this is no use to me.

2 Likes

I canā€™t find the sha256 checksum for the new win64 Nanowallet zip. Iā€™m guessing the one in the OP is for the Universal client?

The universal client uses Chrome right?

Iā€™m rather use the win64 desktop client if not using a Trezor. Can we have the checksum for that too please?

Itā€™s on GitHub.

2 Likes

Ahhh thank you.

I did look on GitHub but couldnā€™t find it, Iā€™m a GitHub newb though.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. Merry Christmas.

Wrong nodes are indicated green.

On December 29, I was in a situation where my transaction from account to account was suspended as Unconfirmed for a long time, and was eventually canceled. If I had opened the node menu before starting the action and looked at the Block height of the current node, to which Nanowallet automatically joined, I would see that its block has Block height: 1435105.

I did not think to check the height of the block, because until that moment I had never had any problems with transactions.

At the same time, normally working nodes (which most) had Block height at this point: 1436717. They can be viewed in the same drop-down menu, sorting through them.

As a result, my transaction stuck as Unconfirmed for the Deadline, which by default is 24 hours (?). With coins, in any case nothing bad can happen, they can not disappear into nowhere, but the transaction ā€œhungā€ for a day, and after Deadline it was canceled, and the coins remained on my account.

To change the node after the transaction has hung is no longer meaningful and will not have an effect on this initiated transaction. But, realizing that the transaction will not take place, you can not wait for the end of the Deadline of time, and after replacing the hung node with a working one, immediately repeat the transaction. Which I did. On a working node, the transaction was confirmed in about a minute.

Conclusion.

When you enable the Nanowallet, itā€™s not enough to have a green circle on the Node button. Before the commencement of transactions, it is necessary to make sure that the current node has an actuale block. To find a working node is simple, for this you need to sort the nodes from the drop-down list and select one of those that have the same or different not more than 1 and most likely the largest Block height.