Symbol Launch - General Status Update (12-Feb-2021)

All,

Following on from the previous update thread: Symbol Launch - General Status Update (09-Feb-2021).

Progress

Over the past 2-3 days, the below has occurred:

1. Release created, with all known key issue resolutions included and a fork configured in it :white_check_mark:

2. The release has passed regression testing :white_check_mark:

3. The release has passed internal performance testing on a copy of Testnet we run :white_check_mark:

4. We deployed the release on an NGL node on Testnet and found a deployment issue, subsequently resolved :white_check_mark:

The first node we upgraded went well but unfortunately had an issue after a couple of hours so we had to back the release out, no functional issue with the patch, just a deployment challenge. Testnet was unaffected.

The past two days have been spent working through the deployment challenge and that has now been identified and resolved. :white_check_mark:

Result

We have now successfully deployed the patch on a small number of NGL nodes on the live Testnet and are monitoring and running automated tests for the next 1-2 days to confirm the nodes are stable, the patch resolves the issues and is ready for public release.

Assuming the tests pass successfully, likely to complete late Sunday night UTC, the next steps are:

• Monday UTC, we review the test data and check for any critical issues :white_check_mark:

• If no critical issues above, then late Monday UTC we release the patch publicly :white_check_mark: white_check_mark:

• A fork will be configured to occur ~2 days post release, exact height to be confirmed when released :white_check_mark:

• The network is given time to move on from the fork (1-2 Epochs at least = 12 hours) :white_check_mark:

• We look to run the NGL Stress Test within 24 hours of the fork, exact timing to be communicated shortly after the release along with anticipated run time :timer_clock:

• Result of the testing will be reviewed and then a new Launch and Snapshot process can be decided and communicated :timer_clock:

Snapshot and Launch Date

What is clear based on the current date and the work still to complete above is that this will not occur in February, until the above process completes, as stated previously a new date will not be selected.

Any communication (telegram, twitter, forum etc) that one has been selected before the process above completes, is speculation and misinformation. The steps will be confirmed with updates transparently as has happened all the way through this resolution and the date will be communicated publicly by an official representative on the NEM Forum

22 Likes

What a suprise :rofl:

3 Likes

This is not a surprise.
It is communicated very clearly where there are problems and what can be expected in which time frame.

There is really nothing more to say.

1 Like

How long do you plan to be from the announcement of the launch date to the launch date?
One week? Two weeks? or?

Anyway, it depends on the result of the test to be done in the future. I think so.

4 Likes

PS: Except that all those who push should participate more here. Sry…

2 Likes

It is likely to be 2.5 - 3 wks (still being confirmed) to ensure everything that needs to happen can happen and that external partners have the time required to enable integrations, listings, security processes etc.

There are also several tasks for the team to complete between testing pass and deploying the Mainnet, creating genesis block and that kind of thing

7 Likes

I think it would be better if the main net could be launched by March 16, FINSUM 2021.

And since Symbol is still not in the news in the major crypto media (outside of Japan), I think you should focus on PR activities.

9 Likes

Not sure, but some one suggested not to give a date until it is really final ? Sry …

2 Likes

2.5 / 3 weeks for the announcement or for the launch?

I think we can expect the snapshot for end of March 2021.

1 Like

Hey guys :slight_smile:
I think even if the symbol launch is delayed it’s not bad and maybe it is a good thing.
Reasons :

1. You can still buy cheap Nem (after that it will be difficult)
  2. Nem will have more partnerships and good news before launch symbol so an even higher price when it is launched.
  3. The seriousness and the quality of symbol will be respected
5 Likes

Nope? Few days or a week before announcement about the possible launch date…

前にも言ったように
可能であれば、目標日を3/29に設定することを強くお勧めします。
その日はとても意味のある日だからです。

4 Likes

The FIN / SUM meeting in Japan with Nem and the Japanese government and Japanese banks for the presentation of Symbol as a blockchain solution as a financial solution is scheduled for March 16-18, 2020.
So for sure symbol will be in place before this date.
The current drop in the price of nem is fantastic for institutions that want to buy cheap nem before which the price increases.

5 Likes

How should we tolerate when nthng1 answers nothing?

Nothing

By Randall Mann

My mother is scared of the world.
She left my father after forty years.
She was like, Happy anniversary, goodbye;

I respect that.
The moon tonight is dazzling, is full
of itself but not quite full.

A man should not love the moon, said Milosz.
Not exactly. He translated himself
into saying it. A man should not love translation;

there’s so much I can’t know. An hour ago,
marking time with someone I would like to like,
we passed some trees and there were crickets

(crickets!) chirping right off Divisadero.
I touched his hand, and for a cold moment
I was like a child again,

nothing more, nothing less.

Source: Poetry (April 2013)

3 Likes

Patch Testing Successful - Release Confirmed for 15-Feb-2021

I have updated the original post with a few indicators that I will try and update as we go through the process.

The weekend testing has passed successfully and we are preparing a release of Core Server, REST + SDKs which will contain a fork.

This will take a few hours and be released during the day Monday 15/02 UTC.

25 Likes

Symbol 0.10.0.7 Release Announcement

9 Likes

какая примитивная речь. Виден почерк серьезного инвестора с 1000XEM:)

День добрый.Откуда Вы знаете)).Может 1000 xem,может 2,может 1000000 ))
Я просто говорю про факты.Не надо Людей нервировать.
Есть трудности конечно. Да процесс это нелегкий - все это понимают,но зачем анонсы делать - а потом переносить,переносить.
Вопрос только в этом.))))

1 Like