Any plan on distributed storage services?

I noticed that there are some crypto storage coins out there, and personally invest some.

On other platforms I discovered some discussions around this area.

I would like to start a topic here and see how the community thinks.

In my case, I am turning on the computer every day for harvesting, so why not do some Golem-alike tasks, or Sia-alike tasks? Maybe that may add additional value to NEM. And using NEM to do those kinds of transactions seems cheaper.

Nem is currently not pursuing storage solutions, although I personally find it very interesting and I think with recent youtube censoring incidents - the future will belong to decentralized social media platforms.

Hence recent popularity of mastodon.social, although I don’t think that is a proper solution.
Proper decentralized AND distributed solution will take much more time and effort.

Regarding tasks, that’s quite problematic, as (in general) there’s no easy way to prove, that given node has been working on some task…
Not to mention, that there already IS good system for dealing with this: boinc.

1 Like

thanks for the tip on Boinc.

I heard about the SETI project before, but didn’t know it was powered by Boinc.

My focus is more on storage. Hertzer serves my business well in terms of computing. But we desperately need a decentralized storage option.

I purchased some coins from Sia, Storj, MaidSafe as well, in case of future usage. But if Ethereum builds a mature Swarm, then we have to purchase ETH.

They bar their mainnet very smartly with these 2 things: you have to get their coins to access the mainnet.

If normal people want to gamble (Augur), or businesses want to have secure storage(Swarm), they have to adapt the virtual currency.