Complete guide to run a dual node on centos 8 using symbol-bootstrap

@spizzerb , one comment.

The first

symbol-bootstrap start -p mainnet -a dual -c custom.yml

Can be changed to:

symbol-bootstrap config -p mainnet -a dual -c custom.yml

So you don’t need to stop the server to get the encrypted addresses.yml. The file will be created without running the server.

If the desktop wallet harvesting page displays “Activation in progress”, you still need to click the “Activate” button at the bottom to start harvesting.

That’s I already did, of course! Now it looks like that harvesting is working (at the bottom is just button “Stop Harvesting”), but still there is “Activation in progress” info (with yellow circle). When I activated the process, Importance of my account was 0% (now finally has non-zero percentage) … could be this the reason, why Harvesting process still isn’t “in green” ?

i’m still stuck on “Activation in progess” but in the bottom of Harveting wallet page i have only “Stop Harvering” nothing else… (my wallet has Importance > 0), stop harveting → changing node → relink all wokrs btw same message “Activation in progress”

@spizzerb this guide help to setup my two nodes and to link them with my two xym accounts.
Big thank you for this.

But now I am confused, it seems I miss an important fact here, both nodes show up in the list of nodes at Symbol node list
But they do not have the flag to be a SuperNodes.
Both linked accounts have enough xym to be eligible.

What do I miss?

The SuperNode Rewarding System is not yet active, the start of the community rewarding systems was delayed for two weeks. See this specific announcement for details.

However, some nodes probably already have enrolled for the SN program, based on the instructions for the testnet. That might be the reason some are displayed as supernodes on the page you mentioned, I’m assuming, as officially there can be none at the moment.
But there certainly will be other supernodes added when the guides with instructions for the reward program are published and supernodes can register.

1 Like

Node didn’t start.
symbol-bootstrap healthCheck:

got this after
symbol-bootstrap start -p mainnet -a dual -c custom.yml

Hey Dimas,

Hard to say what went wrong at this point. Maybe yo uwant to try to start over with the whole guide?

You could also join slack (Contributing — Symbol Documentation) to get support

1 Like

I had the same problem. After changed old CPU’s to CPU’s with supporting AVX2 instruction all working fine. Connect to my node http://harvest-symbol.com:3000/ for harvesting and I will be happy, if you connect to my node with 3M XYM and more I will be happy more and more times %)

2 Likes

Thank you for this guide!

First time trying to set this up … getting similar error as DIMAS:

after running symbol-bootstrap healthcheck

Interesting - I just moved virtual server with successfully running docker/symbol-boostrap instance to another physical server, and observed exactly same issue, as Bugboy described (Unhandled promise rejection). But virtual server and OS environment is exactly the same (I just did import of whole image file of virtual server). Really strange … there’s just difference due to processors. I tested virtual server firstly on AMD Ryzen, then VM has been migrated under a little bit older Xeon.

So, could it be the issue related to some missing processor sets/flags, e.g. AVX/AVX2 ?

trying to setup node on another machine
now i have this after installing docker

Hi, one way …

" sudo usermod -aG docker $USER "

1 Like

Thank you very much
also i noticed that docker have new release 1.28.6
should i install this version?

For a “new” installation it is certainly recommended to use the current version.

got the same error on Xeon E-2286G

And Xeon E-2246G

Both supporting AVX/AVX2

and at the same time works great on E-2246G which I set up a week earlier

i am confused now

Same with Xeon E5-2620 ::

2021-04-07T20:47:48.941Z info Testing http://localhost:3000/node/health
(node:8937) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: #
(node:8937) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag --unhandled-rejections=strict (see Command-line options | Node.js v15.14.0 Documentation
ctions_mode). (rejection id: 14)
2021-04-07T20:47:48.971Z warn Rest http://localhost:3000/node/health is NOT up and running YET: {“statusCode”:503,“statusMessage”:“Service Unavailable”,“body”:"{“status”:{“apiNode”:“down”,“db”:“up”}}"}

It’s really weird. I don’t know, if this could or couldn’t be related with some updates in symbol-boostrap code. But on the first server, I’m doing upgrades continuously and it’s still working. Can be some of devs so kind and give us some hint, with what this issue could be related ?

Yeah I was getting same errors … little frustrating unable to get a node up and running. Wish there was a video tutorial on this

I’m going to switch hosting companies and see if that helps.

Hi I’ve got the same issue.
I started with fresh installed Centos 8 and followed exactly the Instructions above.
The Server is a VPS from Netcup: netcup GmbH - vServer / VPS (VPS 4000 G9) @spizzerb do you use an Virtual Private Server or an Root Server from Netcup?

I tested an older netcup RS Server: RS 4000 SAS G8SE
There it worked without any problem.