NEM Node Rewards (please give feedback)

Someone controlling 51% of all public nodes can also lead to a consensus attack in certain networks. This is true in the case of NEM, especially because of delegated harvesting. Assuming that most people will use delegated harvesting because it is easier, then someone controlling 51% of nodes also controls approximately 51% of importance as about 51% of users will have delegated harvesting active on their nodes. This is why botnets are so bad for NEM.

That's only true if 51% of importance are harvesting on those nodes. If I have 100 nodes and only a small percentage of importance is actually harvesting on them then it doesn't matter that i have such a butload of nodes.
That's why people should only harvest on their own nodes or on nodes from people they know they can trust to some extent. Noone should ever pick a random node and start harvesting on it. If everyone does that it could lead to some serious issues down the road.

Should we limit the total sum of harvesting power (importance score) for a node?

Should we limit the total sum of harvesting power (importance score) for a node?

Not sure that's possible.
Also it wouldn't be very effective. Someone with evil intent could always collect all the harvesting power from serveral nodes he controlls.

Oh yeah, you're right of course.

Just came back to check on what's the status on Node Rewards. Looks like it's still not active yet. Is it?

right.  we need somebody to build it. 

main devs are very busy working on core NIS features right now that need to be done quickly.

My 2 XEMs for this discussion is that people can deploy a lot of nodes quickly using AWS 1-year free trial. But for that to work properly, the rewards program has to be adjusted to the performance that those vpses can provide and they probably need to be configured to work with slightly worse-than-ideal bandwidth limits.

Maybe a lot of these nodes could compensate for a few very good ones?

Actually, lots of nodes (especially slow ones) will actually slow down and hurt the performance of the network.

Point taken.
How is the idea of reducing the entry point for people already hosting nodes standing at the moment?

when is this planed to start?

We are testing internally right now. Next phase will be public testing. Should start soon.

3 Likes

Any updates on expected hardware and network requirements ?
I guess you’ve performed some tests already so it would be nice to get an idea of what is required.

1 Like

I use a 5 year old MacBook Air. I chose that because it had a good amount of RAM (4 gigs) and an SSD and uses almost no electricity so even though it was five years old It seemed like a good choice. I always have a good internet option at my house but I am pretty geographically separated from any other nodes as I live in Korea. Any information I have coming in or out is crossing fiber on the ocean floor.

My node does really well in all the tests except bandwidth. I usually pass every test but when I fail it’s almost always bandwidth. I think that’s because I get caught in a bottle neck somewhere else as the data comes and goes out of the country.

I’m not sure but I think when we have more nodes up and going that won’t be as big of a deal.

Running the node on the MacBook Air is nice. I have it set up so I turn the node on and then close the lid. The processor is usually over 95% free so I know it’s barely sipping any electricity on a computer that was already very light on electricity. So I’m basically running a node for free with some old hardware and my house wifi.

I realize a lot of people won’t have old MacBook Airs but I’m curious to see how many people maybe have an old notebook computer or something like what I did instead of going the cloud server direction which especially a lot of people to do.

1 Like

Well, mainly I was wondering whether it would be possible to pass the tests on a raspberry pi kind of device?
I’m confident about my internet speeds but curious about the hardware.

If something like this could pass the tests it would certainly encourage people to run a node.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-PC-ubuntu-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-and-Compatible-with-Raspberry-Pi-2/32448079125.html

Isure hope such a device will not pass the tests. The point is to encourage strong nodes. We can’t scale up the network to more tx/s with nodes that can hardly run the software as it is with next to no load.
I have no problem with the network becoming smaller if it at the same time becomes stronger i.e. more powerfull nodes.

I also think a Pi won’t pass the test for a powerful node.

It would however let you harvest and earn block rewards.

If you’re not afraid to type some commands, I can send you instructions on priv, how to do this… (activate delegating on a multisig account)

EDIT Actually, I’ll post it in some separate thread and will link it here.

As far as I know activating delegated harvesting on an account that is under multisig is so easy.

You just open NCC. Open the account of a signer. Click “Delegated Harvesting”. From the drop down menu click the account that you want to activate. Enter password and click send.

Or maybe I am missing something?

OH, I’ve forgotten it was added, nice catch ^^

1 Like

I would suggest to expand the entry point to cover a lower threshold such as 100,000 XEM could also share a few % so that it could attract more people to use and buy XEM, and increase the circulation and price of XEM

1 Like