NEM Supernode Command Line Tutorial for Debian 8.4

My node is still failing in computing power. Do you think it would help to top up to 2 CPU / 2 GB?
And if I do so, what should be changed in config files (Swap,…)?
At actual Rate this pays out in one Day, so I prefer to do that rather than screwing around with no daily return.

@BloodyRookie is convinced that a single core and 1GB of RAM is enough. If you switch to the stronger vserver though I’d still create a swap file if none exists (2GB if your vserver has 2GB of RAM). You could also increase the memory given to NIS and the servant (perhaps 1GB and 256MB).

what provider/VPS are you using?

Digital ocean 1GB?

No, it´s the Hetzner CX10. I´m moving to Century Link right now, hope thats better.

I followed this guideline and thought that I’ve set up a Debian supernode entirely, but every factor is FAIL result.
Would you mind if you check my node that has 153.126.161.104 ? What’s wrong with my node?

@kaito: i see in the logs

WARNING TheCoffeeTimes did not reply to ping, reason: org.nem.peer.node.ImpersonatingPeerException: entity source cannot be verified

That means you didn’t supply the correct delegated public key.

1 Like

posted in wrong thread, see NEM Supernode Rewards Program

posted in wrong thread, see: NEM Supernode Rewards Program

The delegated key cannot be changed that way, i need to do it manually. Will do it in 2 hours.

@kaito: deactivated the current entry and added a new entry:

http://supernodes.nem.io/details/241

Thank you so much! I appreciate this.

Just moved to a new VPS node on CTL.io but I see the tests are failing. Can you please check on my supernode ninja2016.dynu.com ? thanks @Paul and @BloodyRookie

How long ago did you move the vps?
Also your servant is showing a different public key than your NIS, please check the configuration of both.

you are right. ok now both servant and the NIS config files have the same delegated private key. let’s see if it works.

@BloodyRookie, my node is online and passed all the tests. thanks again.

I have followed the instructions on a new deployment of Debian. After run NIS for several minutes I can’t see the directory structure. Should this be nis-ncc/package/nem/nis/data?

KC

No, if you are running NIS as root, the db/logs will be in the folder /root/nem/nis/data and /root/nem/nis/logs. If you are running NIS with user kingcole the the db/logs will be in /home/kingcole/nem/nis/data and /home/kingcole/nem/nis/logs.

Thanks @BloodyRookie that helped me sort out the problem. I was running over SSH as non-root user and then using su, I’m guessing when I ran NIS the context was root rather than my non-root user? Anyway I exited from su and ran NIS again, this type the directory structure was created under /home/non-root-user/nem/nis/data. Back in as su to mv the unzipped database dump into the right place.

KC

@Paul thanks for writing the guide. I think I have my server running but I’ve noted quite a few deviations from you instructions and as a noob to Linux I want to make sure I got things right and not left myself with an insecure node. Here are my steps

Ssh to remote machine as user

Su to elevate privileges to root

After downloading, unpacking and moving the NEM package I ended up with the directory structure /home/user/nis-ncc/package

Reading the notes and comments I believe I need to create the file config-user.properties in the same directory as config.properties which is /home/user/nis-ncc/package/nis

Running ./nisStart.sh from /home/user/nis-ncc/package creates working directories for NEM at ~/nem/nis/data which I am guessing is root’s home directory?

For the servant part is the focus still ~/ so I’m creating the supernode-servant/servant under root’s home-directory rather than user, as I did for nis-ncc?

The shell script for supernodeStart.sh is

cd ~/nis-ncc
nohup ./nisStart.sh

But superNode.service appears to be running under root so nis-ncc isn’t under root’s home directory it is under user’s directory so should I change the cd line to /home/user/nis-ncc ?

NIS called by servant will be running under the context of root? Should I be taking further steps to protect the install as we are running under root? What about iptables?

How can I confirm that NIS has booted and is using the correct delegated private key and public address?

Many thanks

KC

Since I replied to KingCole’s questions in private:
1.) If you can reach your nis via YOUR-IP-ADDRESS:7890/node/extended-info in the browser and it returns a response with information about your account then everything is set up correctly.

2.) Installing everything as the root user is useful in case you have to update your node. You’ll find everything in the root user’s home directory.