NIS Synchronization Problems

@ButtCrack: After opening the wallet, NIS needs 1 minute to boot. 1 minute can be perceived as a long time if you are waiting for synchronization to start.

Well, as I said I let it run for some hours.
It was booted and all that time it was stuck.
Also I have been using NEM now for some weeks so I know pretty much what can be expected.
I am one of those weird users that likes to watch the command windows or life debug outputs, for the info I read but most of all for what I call the "hart beat" of the network.
After a while you often see a pattern and just a quick look tells me if all is ok.
Have been playing with lots of p2p apps .
Torrent, ed2k, G1 + G2, TOR (daily online as relay only), i2p and a bunch more.
Have patched my WinXp to accept more then those 10 connection limit.
( 1024, seems to be enough., has been for some years...)
Tools that I often use TCPView and of course process explorer.
Process explorer kicks in at start up, that's how much I need it.
I feel blind without these. :'(
Please remind me to upgrade my Xp with unofficial SP4.  ;D
SPAM ALERT :
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10321&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sp4&start=0

But you are not still on Win XP...?

But you are not still on Win XP...?

Yes I am still on WinXp SP3 and will be for some years to come.
Normally I also have a Linux box, console only no need for a windows shell.

The patch for removing XP connection limits has been around for ages.
Works great, no annoying warning messages in Event logs.
Speeds up connecting to a swarm, useful for example with torrent downloads.
Then I forget the usual registry tweaks that have been around since the early days of XP.
Just to mention one, I have my system time updated every hour with a simple registry tweak.
Normally it would do that once a day (?) or even less.
Too lazy to check what default settings produce.

Using Windows XP is a risk. Win 7 costs only 40 $, so I don't understand that…

Using Windows XP is a risk. Win 7 costs only 40 $, so I don't understand that...

on my work there is several machines using win XP just cause old soft programs needed to do some specific tasks.

the others are win 7, which will have no more support next year. Even microsoft is going crazy cause devellopment costs.

Only the mainstream support for win 7 ends in January 2015, but the extended support lasts 5 more years. This means there will only be security updates as of January 2015.

Using Windows XP is a risk. Win 7 costs only 40 $, so I don't understand that...

Sorry for the delay.

As far as my knowledge goes and from what I have read or seen from others.
I think that 9 out of 10 security risks or getting infected is because users ignore basic rules for safe computing or don't know these rules.
(Probably up to 99% of infections require user interaction.)
Just a few to mention :
-blindly plugging in an USB stick.
-automatically clicking on a link of email or sites.
-disable "show file extension", default by Win enabled, stupid idea of MicroSuck.

Then we can add I guess that most infections seem to come from buggy browsers.
Exploits being exploited.
-Java, I have given up on the never ending list of security fixes.
(I really dislike Java, I only installed it for NEM and some other projects.)
-default setting's in all my browsers, indeed Java disabled
-.NET same story, not installed on my PC's, besides from being big time bloat ware.
Installing 100's of Meg just to run a simple app, that really sucks.
-Flash.
And a bunch more of buggy software, most inet related apps.
WinXp I would say is the least to worry about I think.

Support for consumers has been terminated, but it still continues for large company's, as long as they are willing to pay for it.
Support for embedded however will continue for some years to come.
Thanks to this great project, unofficial SP4, I guess I can safely add many more years to come :
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10321&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sp4&start=0

I do have virus scanners installed (2) but disabled real-time monitoring.
Scan on demand as such, and not when ever I click my mouse.
Preventing endless/useless scanning.

Maybe shocking for some, but on average I only do 1X-2X a year a virus scan of my PC.
And then Win directory only.
Exceptions are if I download a file using p2p or other untrusted sources.
Then I upload to www.virustotal.com, a long list of scanners testing your file.

In some 15 years of using windows, I only got 2 infections of my PC.
Reason, I wanted to see what happened if my PC got infected and if I could clean up the mess.
So I willingly run a virus for testing, my system went bananas, launching process endlessly. killed 1 and many more appeared.
Was fun, and I managed to kill it in the end.
The other was a browser hijack, homepage getting screwed up, fixed problem but it was back after re-boot.
They used a simple bat file to merge data back to registry during boot.
Easy to fix when.

Of course I could have ended up with a real and nasty virus, flash and bye bye bios, or ending up with a root kit.
In both cases I would have been screwed, big time.
A mobo bricked is no fun, same as a nasty root kit.

On a side note :
If I would upgrade it would cost 40 $ plus a new PC, so a couple of 100's $ (? )
Running old software on new hardware usually gives you a big performance boost.
And yes I am a bit weird I guess.  ;D

Well, you seem to know what you are doing. In that case the risk isn't too high. But as you mentioned there are "Exploits being exploited" and this is not also true for browsers but also for the operating system. You know this, I don't have to tell you. So you increase your (low) risk by these not fixed exploits.

Running old hardware should be done by running a fast linux distribution :wink:

@ButtCrack

About  > 90 % of problems are caused by using the Admin ACC instead of a normal user ACC.

This statistics was in some post here.

Well, you seem to know what you are doing. In that case the risk isn't too high. But as you mentioned there are "Exploits being exploited" and this is not also true for browsers but also for the operating system. You know this, I don't have to tell you. So you increase your (low) risk by these not fixed exploits.

Running old hardware should be done by running a fast linux distribution ;)

The disadvantage I guess if we talk about legacy support or being backwards compatible.
A lot of code ranging back even as old as Win95 has survived and is still being used in the latest Win versions.
So a bug found in latest win versions will very likely be present in older versions without support.
And indeed over time increases you risks of getting compromised.
But thanks to unofficial SP4, in combination like ongoing support for embedded and large company's the guys behind USP4 will surely be able to merge bug fixes from latest Win to WinXp.
Probably even at a faster speed then the monthly Tuesday MS patch day.

If you like Linux or don't mind learning it, you can compile your kernel and legacy drivers to run on stuff as old as i386 (?), and even run Linux on a floppy.
And for BOTH applies, easiest way for a boost is to run old software on new hardware.
;)

@ButtCrack

About  > 90 % of problems are caused by using the Admin ACC instead of a normal user ACC.

This statistics was in some post here.

Thanks for mentioning it.
I guess this one would qualify as "bad user habits", running Admin acount per default rather then "plain" user with limited rights.
1st priority of any attacker is to get Admin rights, aka "GOD" mode'.
And by running as Admin/root you make life a lot easier for the attacker or virus to get these.