Sent $5000 worth of Xem to bitrex.. forgot to add message

zksjdjjdjdjjjdjjdjdjjdjdjdjd

1 Like

Ouch >_< i know when i sent mine to changelly and forgot the message, they are currently working on getting it back, but if you sent it to nem chain and forgot the message , it will still go in their block chain i believe and you should be able to track it right now. so aslong as you got the info from bittrexx im sure nem can locate it in the chain and forward it to your account. im pretty sure it already left bittrex and entered into nems chain but does not no where to go …

My nem address doesn’t have a message ,just an address. did you set the message your self? im not a support guy just thought i could give you some insurance that their is a good / vary high chance youll get it back in time ive gotten all my payments back from all places ive messed up with over the times.lol the block chain is pretty secure and reliable in my opinion.

1 Like

i sent them an email, i sent to bitter address just forgot the message, how is it going to come back ? please , i appreciate your reply, i’m in discomfort , my wife is telling me try to sleep it off, but I’m glued to to the computer trying to figure out how to recover my xem.

1 Like

oh i just read it again, so basically its the other way around you have to contact bittrexx and they have to pull it from their chain if you sent it from your nano wallet, thats what i had to do with changelly, once it left nems wallet it entered bittrex’s chain, if you got the txid which im sure you do, you can track it here http://chain.nem.ninja/

1 Like

track it with the explorer, copy the direct link to the information that comes up and send it to bittrex in a support email and im sure they can help you once it enters their site and im sure it did just doesn’t know where to go so its just sitting in the blockchain and will sit untouched… just locate the txid in the nem wallet and track it here: http://chain.nem.ninja/

1 Like

but i would listen to your wife, send bittrex a message tonight with info and address sent from with the transaction id, sleep it off look forward to their reply you have nothing to worry about, im sure of it… let me know how things go wish you all the luck with this

1 Like

hey i sent over those attachments, i’m going to try to close my eyes, i’m
new to crypto, that was my first investment, i just don’t know whats going
to happen, thanks for your kind words and help, i appreciate you, my god
bless you, and help you in times of need.

1 Like

ya i was new beginning of march, took a little bit of time to get use to, but in my experience blockchain is safe and as long as you have that info from your wallet youll be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started about the same time. So I still haven’t heard bsvk from bittrex. Is this normal, and how long could take before I ever see my funds again ?

1 Like

so you have to add a message when you send XEM or it this can happen!?

1 Like

On some exchanges, you are required to specify a “message” when accepting cryptocurrency. This is the way the exchange “identifies” your wallet. Other sites don’t require a message. If a site requires a message and you cannot specify a message, don’t send it. It will be left in the block chain without knowing what wallet to go to. I hope everything worked out here. Prayers that all is well with the 5k investment.

I am a little confused by NEM needing a “message” requirement when sending XEM. I hope someone can assist with these questions please:

A) How do we know when we need to add a message when sending XEM in order for it to be sent correctly?

B) What information needs to be in the message?

C) Why do we even need a message? If we have a the deposit address that is all that is needed to send other currencies - why does XEM need to have a message on some translation or some exchanges?

D) is there no way for NEM technology to first identify if a recipient needs a message, similar to how if someone enters and incorrect address it is rejected?

I can see how issues such as this can cause users a tremendous amount of anxiety if they send a large remittance through NEM network then do not receive their money and have no fixed customer service to assist. I guess this is the big disadvantage of decentralization - no customer support to deal with issues when something goes wrong.

Really I feel that this issue needs to be resolved if people are to have confidence using NEM to send money otherwise we are taking a big risk each time we send a remittance. It is not much of an assurance by saying that the money is not lost and is probably parked somewhere. If the user is not technical they don’t have a chance of knowing what to do to get their money other than hope an pray someone somewhere might possibly help them… or not since there appears to be no real accountability to anyone if something goes wrong on a transfer. Even the NEM wallet states “We except no responsibility for lost funds” - in which case who will accept responsibility for lost funds when the technology does not work as it shoud?

Thank you
John

Bittrex gives you a message to send along within the deposit. This method of deposit is used with a lot of blockchains that support messages because it’s more secure. Of course older blockchains like bitcoin don’t have messages so they had to come up with more complicated ways to handle deposits for it.

Chains that support messages often have one address for the exchange to deposit too for all deposits. Then they give you a message which represents your account.

The benefit for them is that they only need to secure one account instead of 10,000s of accounts and private keys. This makes it better for them and they can have a secure system. They also save on tx fees not constantly having to move coins around and consolidate.

They also make it very clear to send a message with the deposit.

2 Likes

Anybody that doesn’t send a message can contact an exchange for support and send another tx with a message to prove they own the Account

I hope you get your money back! That’s simply a poor result that the return can’t be automated and that a message is so vital!

If we are sending XEM from Poloneix to our NEM nano wallet do we need to include a “message” if we do where do we get the message from?

NEM wallet --> Polo (requires messages)
Polo —> NEM wallet (no message required)

1 Like

Just checking to see if all went well, with getting your nem back :slight_smile:

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Exchange Support. Lost XEM at an exchange? Post here!