Building a community

Telegram does no favors for NEM in general because anyone who isn’t familiar with it will see how dead the NEM forum & Reddit are and they will believe the project has no support.

It’s crazy that they would ban anyone because even people that are critical of the project bring activity and discussions. I hope that anyone that has been banned will set aside the past and focus on bringing back life into NEM.

2 Likes

Great to see you here!

I hope there will be a follow-up to your post, it is very valuable feedback and it is important that the community re-engagement plan takes your input into account. (/cc @DaveH @davidshaw)

Thank you for mentioning me [twice :fire:], I hope together we can all work on a better community engagement.

2 Likes

Do you agree that Telegram hides the community engagements? They should make a policy for only posting in the Reddit or on this forum from now on because otherwise people speculating on the coin cannot see that it has a large worldwide community. I think a policy needs to be implemented because Telegram is hurting NEM right now & has been for years by the looks of our old community boards & Reddit.

1 Like

It’s clear that a forum without activity doesn’t give a good image. Abandoning Telegram would require an assessment of the consequences though.

An advantage of the forum is to aggregate knowledge over time. In telegram, answers to the same question have to be repeated. In a forum, we can hope at least some people will use the search functionality (when the forum is lively).

Another benefit of the forum is that it is asynchronous, which might make it easier for developers to answer questions. Maybe if developers committed to answer technical questions on the forum once a day (so they avoid interruptions), that would be beneficial to all: 1) developers who don’t have to monitor the telegram channels but would still be active in the community and be accessible, 2) the forum, which would see some activity, 3) community members, who would know they’re not on their own when they have a question. With time, this could become a virtuous circle for the forum and the community.

1 Like

NEM Community should include development individuals and organizations, project parties, volunteers, investors and so on. Therefore, no matter in the whole NEM ecosystem or in the future token economy, NEM community building undoubtedly plays the most important role. I hope to reshape the community and become part of an active community.

Yes @rb2nem you are not alone! :grinning:

2 Likes

Its fantastic to see more of these kinds of posts and subjects coming, we are definitely watching and trying to work any ideas into the plan that is being written.

Do please contribute to these threads! There are a few just now, linking them all in comments from each other:

@TulipMaina https://forum.nem.io/t/tasks-order-book-to-mobilize-community-volunteers
@rb2nem https://forum.nem.io/t/building-a-community
@Rat https://forum.nem.io/t/warning-to-community
@Stinghe_Dorian https://twitter.com/StingheDorian/status/1252948440398659585

I will come back on this one shortly with a specific post as well, great initiative @rb2nem and to echo @gevs it is awesome to see you back and still keen to contribute.

4 Likes

Telegram is bad for community engagement. Everything is invisible. Please consider using Discord as other cryptos like Syscoin, Geth, Pivx etc do.

On Discord you have a history, you can search, you can have different channels for different subjects, announcements, etc.

For example, check the Syscoin Discord to see what it’s all about.

3 Likes

This is true, a well-organized Discord with a main channel and sub channels could be more effective than telegram …

It does seem there is no 1 way to do ‘community’. Some coins seem to rely solely on reddit, others on discord etc… ETH, which has one of the largest crypto communities, has a forum with little to no activity.

4 Likes

something like this? Or feel free to open one.

5 Likes

Telegram is terrible and it was clear to me from the very beginning of its use, but it was probably fashionable. Information flows through Telegram and goes into oblivion, like in sand. Not to mention the fact that Telegram is unsafe. My score is 2.

Discord is original, but it also requires registration, and its messages seem to be missing from the search engines. Is it suitable for the accumulation of systematic and structured information with convenient navigation on it? My score is 3.

There are many chats and platforms for communication. Among them are interesting, new and experimental. But I think forums are the best basic solution for community communication. All other means of communication can only be supplements. Forum forum. nem. io is already better (my score is 3+), although from my point of view it is heavy and inferior in convenience forums like bitcointalk. org (my score is 5). Having NEM forum like bitcointalk. org would be a great solution. A similar forum forum. nemcoin. com was first (in 2014, my score is 4+), but then, unfortunately, migrated from it to forum. nem. io.

2 Likes

A certain part of the community will always want to be able to talk/chat directly and instantly in some capacity, and this is what Telegram/IRC/Discord is used for in different communities.

Discord is simply the best option. When used properly, as an official server by the official NEM organization and a group of mods, it becomes a central hub. For example, every announcement goes on Twitter, with a link to the relevant blog/post to the website/forum/github, and those tweets are published in the #announcements channel on the Discord server.

This announcements on Twitter to Discord might not be preferred by some, but frankly Twitter is simply very popular for people only wanting to follow their favorite news sources. By making this a habit, you automatically create an active Twitter account, and information is not scattered between different medias. It is a recommended approach from a marketing point of view if NEM wants to work on visibility, reach and community engagement. Something that in my personal opinion is missing for the last couple of years.

Over time a group of the community will always be online and be willing to help others. Note that some bigger communities use English as the main language but also have community channels for specific languages. This keeps the community together and allows - for example - to have an English-Japanese person in both the general and the Japanese community channel, allowing for more direct diffusion of thoughts and ideas.

I’m in multiple communities, and those with a well managed Discord server are the most convenient (as information source) and seem the most alive due to community engaging with each other.

Some even have a #telegram channel that echoes what is going on in Telegram, which acts as a catalyst for people moving from Telegram to Discord because people don’t have to miss a thing. Soon enough Telegram diminishes because it doesn’t compare to Discord.

2 Likes

Almost all the NEM community has a telegram account and dont have a discord account.

NEM Community is known to be lazy (Remember the binance votes ?) and many wont bother creating a discord account.

NEM Community is almost dead, imagine if you ask the few left to switch to discord, you will get 5 actives people lol.

Also, everybody in crypto is used to telegram. Imagine someone hear about NEM, he will just go on telegram and clic. If he has to create an discord, he will maybe not come.

Every crypto community works with telegram and it doesnt prevent some hyped crypto to have a big community. Did you check the telegram chan of the others cryptos ? I havent checked but im sure that a crypto such as LINK must often have thousands posts a day.

Also, I took a crypto randomly, Tezos, look at their reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/tezos/

They have dozens comments a day, some post have more than 20 comments (it is not a lot but it is still a lot more than NEM)

So it is possible to have a community by using telegram. The problem is not telegram, looks further why the community is dead :slight_smile:

Me I know why it is dead :slight_smile:

1 Like

The problem is simply the number. Around 200+ Nember registered for the election a year and a half ago. The number of participants in Nemred and Nemberia is steadily decreasing. In addition, the Telegram channels are unpopular after events and disputes of recent years.
Of course, it takes a base of communicative participants so that the whole thing does not look like the Gobi desert. Not everyone wants to take part in sober, clinical conversations.
Japan is a great role model for me, many noticeable participants on different platforms. There is discussion, development and a feeling of community. At least I feel that when I look at them from the outside.
There are only a handful of supporters outside of Japan who are active, otherwise a rather small group seems to be waiting for financial success. This is my summary of Nem community 2020. We don’t have to go back to why this is so now. It’s like that, this is what we have to work with now.

3 Likes

the best way to communicate is in the forum and discord, I speak Spanish and in discord there are no topics in Spanish, in the forum I translate it with google and instead in telegram it is only in English, Japanese or Chinese, it’s a misunderstanding also to ask a question

2 Likes

So you mentioned one that doesn’t use Discord. I mentioned three that do. Your point?

I think you mean some when you say everybody. Especially for some, there is often a #telegram channel so oldschool people can continue using Telegram.

Many others have a sparkling community and mention an official Discord server on their website.

I’ve mentioned Syscoin and Pivx. Other examples of reasonably widely known crypto with with an official Discord server on their website are TRON, Dash, Crypto dot com, Ethereum Classic, NEO, IOTA, Zcash, Ontology and VeChain.

Perhaps. I don’t know about this. I’m offering my opinion relevant to the topic. I’m hoping some effort will be made by the NEM team. As a hodler I’m encouraging any positive development.

3 Likes

Already 8 People in the Chan. That is a 700% up in only 18h. Nice Pump… 0 Scams yet…yet

1 Like

Forum and telegram are just communication tools, there is no good or bad. The key is whether someone manages the content and users and forms a positive interaction

6 Likes

The value of cryptocurrency is different from that of stock. Stock has price earnings ratio. The company behind it can create value and bring capital inflow. Cryptocurrency depends on people’s consensus and emotions. So, first, cryptocurrencies come to a consensus through the community, second is technology

5 Likes

Not entirely. Blockchain as infrastructure and ecosystem could create value as well.
So for example having applications using blockchain could generate more activity on the blockchain
more transactions and those people holding the token could harvest more fees .

More activity = more fees = token price increase.
There could still be price earning ratio also in cryptocurrency.

2 Likes

Hi @rb2nem

Sorry the reply took a bit longer than planned, this is great post and its really good to see you both still around and keen to get involved. There feels to be an early group of people with similar feelings which is great to see.

Everything in your post is very sensible, well measured and on point. Couple of specific points to respond on below:

Transparency: to feel involved in a project, people need to know what happens in that project so that they can participate if they so wish

This is something we are trying to achieve as quickly as we can, there will be a few bits that take longer than others but if anyone has questions (forward looking ones) that they want to know, we genuinely encourage them to be asked. Any dev that isn’t out in the open already will be moved into the open as we can, some of it is outsourced and under contract etc so it may not be immediate but will be worked towards.

Openness: there’s no point to be transparent if any and all proposal coming from non-core community member is rejected

This whole section makes complete sense, I’d encourage anyone who has a proposal to put it out the community (as you rightly state, which includes core…and the entities).

Responsivity: People interested to get involved in the community, will probably come to the forum with a simple question

This one is likely be a combination of being open and transparent enough that the community feel they also have the information to answer questions, coupled with responsive support. If anyone spots a topic that isn’t getting answers quick enough, I would encourage them to push it into TG or somewhere as it is very unlikely to be intentional. Its a challenge to have the people with the information be active all the time because it stops them doing things like coding, but its also important that are accessible. I know for the tech questions slack is generally the quickest one for a response. You are right as well - @gevs does a great job of balancing work and being responsive.

And later on, who knows, maybe new leaders will emerge based on their achievements, bringing new and fresh energy to the project

I think this is the panacea/best end game, the intent with these changes is to push the progress forward hard in the short-medium term and ensure we reinvigorate the community at the same time, to make it a welcoming, more active place, with the hope that over time it doesn’t need that extra motivation/reinvigoration. Time will tell if we get there or not, but there feels to be a good energy building from various members of the community.

@Stinghe_Dorian Discord looks to be building well 53 offline and 8 online just now, so I assume that is ~60 in total, about 6x since your message above :wink:

Thanks again for your post, and look forward to being part of the community with you :+1:

4 Likes