Bumped off delegated harvesting

HI
This is the second time in the past month this has happened. I have logged on to find I have been bumped off the node as there is no longer any space, and I have had to select a new node for local harvesting. Is this common? What factors are being used to deselect me from the node once accepted. My delegated balance is quite healthy.
Many thanks.

I went back to local harvesting because delegated harvesting wasnā€™t harvesting anything for me.

hello there!

I would suggest you have a look at https://supernodes.nem.io/ and check for any with free slots on those. (I remember i needed to do a few pages before I could find oneā€¦) I really would recommend this because SN donā€™t have so many down timesā€¦ Also noteable, someone developed a Telegram Bot which will let you know whenever you harvest a block or harvesting is not active anymore: https://blog.nem.io/nem-chain-supernode-notifications-telegram-bot/

what you say is wrong @logart ā€¦ local harvesting is not going to harvest more than delegated harvesting doesā€¦ Your importance is the same no matter whichā€¦ What is going to change is that now your PC must be online for your account to harvest a block.

1 Like

I didnā€™t said local harvesting harvest more than delagated. I said Delegated didnā€™t work for me for some reason, it never harvest anything at all in days. i have a importance score of 1.5%. I chose a empty slot of a node and nothing. So i switch to local harvest and at least it finds 1 or two blocks per day.

I went back to local harvesting because delegated harvesting wasnā€™t harvesting anything for me.

I think if @NEMandertha1 asks for help, thatā€™s what we need to give him, full stop. :slight_smile: Iā€™m saying that you are wrong because there is no difference whether your account is local harvesting or delegated harvesting - and telling newcomers so, will spread misinformation.

I have not followed your problems and cannot tell but I have had at least 5 accounts which delegate harvested, switching from NCC to Nano, back and forth, etc. and none of them had been stopping since I selected SN remotes. There was probably a configuration problem with your account.

nevertheless @NEMandertha1 I believe to select a SN from that list and find one with a free slot will solve your issue, allthough I would always recommend to check on your Harvesting Status using the Telegram bot for example!

no offense @logart, really, cryptocurrencies and blockchain projects require an education process and I believe it is very important to point out misconceptions and disinformation. Iā€™m talking to you in an event of constructive critics, hope you understand there is no offense here :slight_smile:

1 Like

perhaps you can help me because delegated harvesting did not worked for me. I just said it because the user is having problems with delegated harvesting as well as me, not trying to spread misinformation. But i havenā€™t get any solution yet and iā€™ve ask for help lots of times.

Thanks gevs and logart
I will give gevs advice a try today. I was selecting nodes which were geographically close to me, so perhaps that is not important. I must say that support on this forum and the links you supplied are first class and will help both myself and others like me who donā€™t have a technical background but wish to support this project and the adoption of crypto currencies in general.
Have a great May Day.

2 Likes

In this case you mean delegated harvesting I guess, If the remote node you are harvesting on is rebooted then harvesting stops for your account.

We recently got all NIS updated to 0.6.87 so all active nodes have been rebooted.

2 Likes

All well now an have received a harvest fee today, Thanks for the explanation and have a great day.

I have to use delegated harvesting because I donā€™t have a fixed IP address. But I have yet to get started. About once a week I go thru this little ritual: I try to activate delegated harvesting but every single node in the list comes back ā€œNo free slots on selected node, please choose anotherā€. About how often does a slot become available?

this is awkwardly time intensive yes :frowning: the team is thinking about improvements on this iā€™m sure :slight_smile:

in the mean time, i recommend instead of going through that list you can try finding an active supernode : https://supernodes.nem.io/ usually, they have more slots open I think. yet iā€™m sure you will have to go to page 6-7 before you find one with open slots :stuck_out_tongue:

hope it will help:)

Yes, thank you, it helped in that I found a node with empty slots near the end. However, I still canā€™t seem to start delegation. I have far more than the required vested amount, I sent in the 6 XEM importance fee long ago. The tutorials donā€™t help at all because the wallet shown in them are not similar to mine (BETA 1.3.4) in the least. There is a section marked ā€œDelegated account Keysā€ with a text field ā€œDelegated public key:ā€ which is pre-filled with a long key value. Under that there is another text field ā€œPassword:ā€. The prompt says ā€œReveal delegated private keyā€ but the documentation doesnā€™t mention a password for delegation. Do I put something here? What? My wallet password phrase? Make something up just for delegation?

to view your delegated private key, you must input your wallet password phrase, yes.

nothing must be done except find a node with free slot + hit the Play button on the right. if you have done that you are harvesting - you can send me your address if you wish and iā€™ll look on the APIs if i can find something

I guess Iā€™m harvesting now. There doesnā€™t seem to be any indicator for that except hovering over the play button now says ā€œStop delegated harvestingā€. Iā€™ll give it a few days to see if something happens. Btw, after revealing the delegated public key, should I save it? Will I need to refer to it in the future?

hello!

in case you know the person who runs the node that you harvest on, then you can give him your delegated private key to configure it in his node directly. This would then make sure that you are always harvesting when this node is online. - right on boot of the node instead of waiting until you re-click ā€œPlayā€ ā€¦ Understand the difference?

further on, no there is no real indicator about harvesting except that the button is set to Stopā€¦ and yes you are harvesting then. wait a few days youā€™ll get blocks :slight_smile:

I let it run for a good day and nothing happened. Checking the run button and, sure it enough, it said ā€˜Startā€™. Sigh. I just take it that this is early in the development and things will gradually get better. Thanks, btw, for all your help.

Current system isnā€™t perfect, but itā€™s pretty good. What do you guys really expect? If you want a reliable node to harvest on, then set one up. Hell even get 10 of your friends together and share a node. You canā€™t expect a random node you chose to stay online. How many other cryptos allow you to tag on to someone elses hardware, and essentially let you harvest (or mine) with NO hardware cost on your end?

1 Like