Catapult Brand Update #1

Hi Daoka,
I hear the frustration in your feedback (and quite a few other Japanese members) so I want to make sure that the community knows that we are proud of NEM – it’s solid technology and has good projects (like the ones Opening Line has built) and there is a future with NEM. There is planning around how to continue to support NIS1 and Catapult and this planning extends across ecosystem entities.

For this discussion, the exploration around a new brand is not just due to Coincheck or negative press. It’s not black or white. There’s more context to look at for the big picture. It’s why we shared the discovery decks and competitive SWOT. The exploration around pivoting to a new brand (or rather supporting 2 brands) is much larger than this and the purpose of this first branding update was to introduce conceptually / directionally what this looks like.

I’m seeing some community talk about branding as mainly being the logo and ticker – it’s more than this though. Logo and ticker are only one aspect. Certainly design plays an essential role to creating and building strong brands.

One way to expand thinking on the brand could be how we are approaching investing in our core strengths and focusing more on who the customers/users are for the protocol – not just now but also the future. Then we support our customers by innovating and offering products that they need/want. Those products/services fold up into a larger brand strategy. This is why NEM and Catapult can both exist in the same world. They serve different audiences which is why it is important to look at Catapult through the lens of enterprise and not just community.

Keep asking hard questions like this.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing us the progress in Catapult branding.

I would like to put my opinion here.

Three top reasons why I have selected NEM/XEM blockchain rather than other blockchains were as follows;

1. Ecological
  2. Best performance but easy to start
  3. Heartwarming community

These factors seem to be forming current NEM brand and shared by NEMbers. So, these are also creating Catapult brand and appearing to outside people and companies.

Apple brand started from ‘the computer for the rest of us’ and ‘think different’. Most of the enterprise companies, such as banks, fintechs, games, distributors, and so on, already have their favorite and suitable blockchains as you reported. Can NEM change their minds? Maybe no. Then, who and where are ‘the rest of us’?

Finding new applications of blockchain seems to be an important task for Catapult branding. Then, in which field? In my opinion, education, medicine, science, agriculture are candidates. Because, people involved in these fields do not have suitable blockchains yet. These fields requires;

1. Ecology
  2. Easiness
  3. Support

So, let’s release the best blockchain ever, and, wait for people who think different.

Hokkaido

—Japanese Translation by Google—

Catapultブランドの進捗状況をお聞かせいただきありがとうございます。

ここに私の意見を述べたいと思います。

他のブロックチェーンではなくNEM / XEMブロックチェーンを選択した3つの主な理由は次のとおりです。

1.エコロジカル
2.最高のパフォーマンスでありながら開始が簡単
3.心温まるコミュニティ

これらの要因は、NEMブランドを形成し、NEMbersによって共有されているようです。そのため、これらはカタパルトブランドを生み出し、外部の人々や企業にアピールするでしょう。

Appleブランドは、「The computer for rest of us」や、「Think different」から始まりました。銀行、フィンテック、ゲーム、ディストリビューターなどの企業のほとんどは、すでにお気に入りの適切なブロックチェーンを持っています。 NEMは彼らの考えを変えることができますか?たぶんできません。それでは、「the rest of us」とは誰でどこにいるのでしょうか?

ブロックチェーンの新しい利用法を見つけることは、カタパルトのブランディングにとって重要なタスクだと思います。では、どの分野で?私の考えでは、教育、医学、科学、農業が候補です。なぜなら、これらの分野に関係する人々にはまだ適切なブロックチェーンがないからです。これらのフィールドには以下が必要です。

1.エコロジー
2.簡単さ
3.サポート

だから、今までで最高のブロックチェーンをリリースしてThink Differentな人々を待ちましょう。

目指せ北海道

8 Likes

It is a statement that ignores the opinions of the people currently using it.

BTC was hacked and stolen many times.
If you rename,Many people think that New Shitcoin was born.

4 Likes

agree.

Enterprise are part of the community, and also there are enterprise people who are involved in the community.

3 Likes

Thank you for replying.

I want you to know, the community activity is enhancing enterprise adoption.

FiFiC was initially app created by an individual.
Now, FiFiC has influenced the adoption of NEM / mijin.

OpenApostille gave me the work of NEM / mijin.
Now, our company developing a product using Apostille.
This product is for the enterprise.

The Shizui project you know was also born from the community.

The power of the community may be small at first, but it will become a big power by creating products and services.
The products made by the community provide hints when adapting to an enterprise.

When a specific case comes out, the company can imagine the benefits.
Now, many of use case created by community.

We should not forget that the community is affecting the enterprise.

8 Likes

I agree with the branding in the sense of the Catapult engine, but I’m against Catapult, an alternative to NEM.

“Intel inside” -> Catapult Inside
It’s enough.

2 Likes

This is machine translation. I’m sorry if there is a rude expression.

The original Japanese text is written below the text.

I do not claim to be absolutely against brand changes.

But there are some doubts.

Remember when BTC forked with BCH?

Some believers in BCH have repeatedly insisted “BCH is real bitcoin!”.

The original name has great value.

In order to support the decision to let go of that value, you need to prove that the new name has a much higher value than the original name.

For example, what are the proposed names for new names and logos?

If we look at it and convince it that it is really wonderful, many members of the community may be convinced.

Secondly, about the coin check theft case.

Remember Mt.GoX?

If Bitcoin changed its name after that incident, how would the public accept it?

(For example, think of the new name “segwit coin”)

“After all, Bitcoin had a problem!”

“They changed their name, and they started to be suspicious again!”

I think the world will react like that.

If NEM changed its name, wouldn’t the public think that there was still a problem with NEM?

Will USD change the name just because there was a bank robber?

If USD changes its name, it will create a weak brand image of USD.

If you think about it now, the coin check theft was a great opportunity for us.

We should have argued more loudly.

“The safe did not fail. The problem was how to manage the keys.”

“The safe was working properly. The safe could only be opened with the key of the safe.”

“Neither the NEM Foundation nor the core development was able to open the safe. The NEM blockchain worked perfectly according to its design philosophy.”

“The NEM blockchain faced a theft that was unprecedented in Japanese history, but was not defeated by the temptation of centralization.”

The coin check case can be transformed into a case that proves the high security of the blockchain by our public relations efforts.

The NEM blockchain continues to operate perfectly. At that time and now.

The key administrator made the mistake.

And the lack of our public relations efforts.

NEM blockchain is nothing wrong. Why do I need to change my name?

If you want to change the name, you need a reason different from coin check.

Finally.

At first, the apple logo was just an apple-shaped logo.

What has given value to the apple logo is the achievement of creating innovative products.

It is our attitude that creates brand value.

If we changed the name so that we could escape from innocent sins, would that action increase our brand value?

Does the world perceive our actions as “global brand company behavior”?

Please remember the Eco Bit.

Their logo and brand name are sophisticated.

But now, is their project a high brand value?

Their brand value was created by their actions, not names or logos.

Will their brand image improve if their names and logos become more sophisticated?

As I wrote at the beginning, I’m not against the name change.

But if you want to change the name, there is a more important argument than “Should I change the name?”

That is, “Does the new name and logo mark exceed NEM?”

What we need is a story.

A story created by beliefs and belief-based actions.

Why do we love decentralization?

Why did we lose the temptation of centralization in front of a huge theft?

Who made what efforts to achieve this?

What kind of world do we want to create through NEM?

Creating a brand is a belief and a build up of beliefs.

I support the name change if the new name and logo are more embodied in our beliefs.

Do new brands encourage us to claim the worldview we want to create?

It seems empty to discuss “should I change the name” without suggesting new candidate names?

I would like to ask the NEM Foundation to behave in a way that is appropriate for a “global brand”.

Thank you for reading a long sentence.

これは機械翻訳です。失礼な表現があったらすいません。

日本語の原文を本文の下に併記します。

私は、ブランド名の変更に絶対に反対すると主張するわけではありません。

しかし、いくつかの疑問があります。

BTCがBCHとフォークした時を思い出してください。

一部のBCHを信奉する人々は「BCH is real bitcoin!」と主張を繰り返しました。

オリジナルの名前は、大きな価値を持っているのです。

その価値を手放すという決断を支持するためには、新しい名前が、オリジナルの名前よりも遥かに高い価値を持つことを証明する必要があります。

たとえば、新しい名前やロゴマークには、どのような候補案があるのでしょうか?

私たちそれを見て、本当に素晴らしいものだと納得すれば、コミュニティーの多くのメンバーが納得する可能性があります。

第二に、コインチェック盗難事件についてです。

Mt.GoXを思い出してください。

もし、あの事件の後、ビットコインが名前を変えたら、そのことを世間はどう受け取るでしょうか?

(たとえば、「segwit coin」という新しい名前に変わったと考えてみてください)

「やはり、ビットコインは問題があったのだ!」

「彼らは名前を変えた。そして、また怪しいことを始めた!」

私は世間はそのように反応すると思います。

NEMが名称を変えれば、世間は、「やはりNEMに問題があった」と考えませんか?

銀行強盗があったからと言って、USDが名前を変えますか?

その程度のことでUSDが名前を変えれば、USDの弱いブランドイメージが出来上がります。

今思えば、コインチェック盗難事件は、私たちにとって大きなチャンスでした。

私たちは、もっと大声で主張するべきでした。

「金庫が不具合を起こしたわけではない。問題だったのは鍵の管理方法だ。」

「金庫は正常に動いていた。金庫は、唯一、その金庫の鍵によってのみ開けることができた。」

「NEM財団であっても、コア開発であっても金庫を開くことはできなかった。NEMブロックチェーンは、その設計思想通りに完璧に動作していた」

「NEMブロックチェーンは、日本史上類を見ない盗難事件に直面しました。しかし、中央集権の誘惑に負けなかった」

コインチェック事件は、私たちの広報努力によって、ブロックチェーンのセキュリティの高さを証明した事件に変換することができます。

NEMブロックチェーンは、完璧な動作を続けています。当時も、今も。

過ちを犯したのは鍵の管理者です。

そして、私たちの広報努力の不足です。

NEMブロックチェーンは何も悪くありません。なぜ、名前を変える必要がありますか?

名前を変えるのであれば、コインチェックとは別の理由が必要です。

最後に。

リンゴのロゴマークは、最初、単なるリンゴの形のロゴマークに過ぎませんでした。

リンゴのロゴマークに価値を与えたのは、革新的なプロダクトを生み出し続けた実績です。

ブランド価値を生み出すのは、私たちの姿勢です。

その私たちが、無実の罪から逃げるように、名前を変えたとしたら、その行動は私たちのブランド価値を高めますか?

世界は、私たちの行動を「世界的なブランド企業の振舞い」と認識しますか?

エコビットを思い出してください。

彼らのロゴマークとブランド名は洗練されています。

しかし、今、彼らのプロジェクトには高いブランド価値があるでしょうか?

彼らのブランド価値は、名前でもロゴでもなく、彼らの行動によってつくられました。

もし彼らの名前とロゴマークがさらに洗練さたものになったとして、私たちの持つブランドイメージは向上しますか?

最初にも書いたように、私は名前の変更に絶対反対というわけではありません。

しかし、名前を変えたいのであれば、「名前を変えるべきか?」よりも重要な議論があります。

それは、「新しい名前とロゴマークが、NEMを超えるのか?」です。

必要なのはストーリーです。

信念と、信念に基づく行動が作り出す物語です。

なぜ、私たちは非中央集権を愛するのか?

巨大な盗難事件を前にして、中央集権の誘惑に負けなかったのはなぜなのか?

そのために、誰がどんな努力をしたのか?

私たちはNEMを通して、どんな世界をつくりたいのか?

ブランドをつくるのは、信念と、信念に沿った行動の積み重ねです。

私は、新しい名前とロゴマークが、これまで以上に私たちの信念を具現化したものなのであれば、名前の変更を支持します。

新しいブランドは、私たちがつくりだしたい世界観を主張することを後押しするものですか?

新しい名前の候補も示さずに、「名前を変えるべきか?」という議論をすることは空虚に感じます。

そして、NEM財団におかれましては、「世界的ブランド」に相応しい振舞いをお願いしたいと思います。

長い文章を読んでくれてありがとう。

11 Likes

I think any name will succeed. Should I decide by voting?

I think you make some very good points. But to me it is like this. I go to my doctor if I am sick, but I do not ask my doctor to fix my car. Likewise I do not ask my mechanic for medical advice. The agency and people involved have analysed and thought deeply about NEM and Catapult. They have done extensive research inside and outside, speaking to many people and looking at the industry and competition. They have successfully advised and done practical global and national launches of many well-known brands. If the sherpa who has climbed the mountains in good weather and very bad, now advises you to take a specific path, do you ignore them? I understand it is very very hard but I would ask you to consider this.

貧弱なGoogle翻訳でごめんなさい!

あなたはいくつかの非常に良い点を指摘すると思います。しかし、私にとってはこのようなものです。病気の場合は医者に行きますが、医者に車の修理を頼むことはしません。同様に、私はメカニックに医療アドバイスを求めません。関係機関と関係者は、NEMとカタパルトについて深く分析し、考えました。彼らは多くの人々と話し、業界と競争を見て、内外で広範な研究を行ってきました。彼らは、多くの有名なブランドの実用的なグローバルおよび国内発売を成功裏にアドバイスし、行ってきました。天気の良い日と非常に悪い日で山に登ったシェルパが、特定の道を進むようにアドバイスした場合、あなたはそれらを無視しますか?私はそれが非常に難しいことを理解していますが、これを検討するようお願いします。

2 Likes

貴方、誰?

Does that mean listening to expert opinions without complaining?

Does it mean to ignore community ideas? Do you think there are no experts in the community?

2 Likes

First of all, thank you for sharing the information.

I think there is an information asymmetry between committees and communities.
So I don’t think community feedback makes sense Without matching levels of information.

I can’t agree or disagree with a rebrand. The reason is a lack of information.

It is not clear what kind of image the NEM has externally unless it conducts a survey by random sampling from the Basic Resident Register. Theses feedbacks here is not a statistical feature but seems to be arbitrarily biased.

I agree with the rebranding needed to achieve top priority, the professionals should make a final decision.

5 Likes

Do you know all story of " Japanese NEM Culture and Activity" ?
Do you create enthusiasm like this?
Have you assessed NEM as a loser(dog)?

Sorry,just curiosity.

4 Likes

By the way ,What blockchain project did you lead to success?
Please tell me for reference.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. This time is also a machine translation, so please forgive any rude expressions.

But I want you to understand. I am not against brand changes.

As I have already written, I agree with the brand change if I am convinced that the new brand embodies the idea of ​​NEM more than ever.

I don’t want to talk about titles, I want to talk about the contents.

Anyone can view the source code of catapult.

In-field programmers can check the contents and provide feedback.

But we can’t get any information about the new brand name.

That’s why I can’t agree with the brand change.

I would like to hear your beliefs and theories about the new brand proposal.

If it is “an expert decides because feedback is not necessary”, a new brand should be decided without setting up such a place.

First of all, we want you to show the strength of the marketing team in marketing that moves our community.

返信ありがとう。今回も機械翻訳なので、失礼な表現があったら許してほしい。

しかし、理解して欲しい。私はブランドの変更に反対してるのではありません。

既に書いたように、新しいブランドが、NEMの思想をこれまで以上に体現したものだと納得できれば、私はブランドの変更に賛成します。

私は肩書の話をしたいのではなく、中身の話をしたいのです。

catapultのソースコードは誰でも閲覧することができます。

そして、在野のプログラマーが中身をチェックし、フィードバックすることができます。

しかし、新しいブランド名称については、私たちは何の情報も得ることができません。

そういう状況なので、ブランドの変更に賛成することができないでいます。

新しいブランド案についての、あなたたちの信念と理論を聞きたいと思います。

もし、「フィードバックは不要だから専門家が決める」ということであれば、このような場を設けずに新しいブランドを決めてしまうべきです。

まずは、私たちコミュニティーの心を動かすマーケティングで、そのマーケティングチームの実力を見せて欲しい。

5 Likes

Did I say that? Interesting assumption on your part. I am sorry you are feeling not heard and that is coloring your communication. I will try to better communicate.

The task here is to launch an enterprise solution. What enterprise solutions have you launched?

OK, I agree with kitsutsukick

“First of all, we want you to show the strength of the marketing team in marketing that moves our community.”

CMO for NEM Foundation
最高マーケティング責任者

I think we all need to step back for a moment and take a breath.
No one is suggesting that community contributors or projects are not important. They are important.
Any discussion around a new name/logo/ticker was always going to have emotions wrapped up in it.
To look at NEM as an ecosystem from the outside is what the agency has done, and sometimes we need to swallow our pride and take the hard look.
No one is abandoning NEM, no one is belittling the name.
Actionable critiques and feedback are always welcome but attacks will not be tolerated.

Lewis’ point is, if you are thinking of a new brand, go to the experts, which is what we have done. Because that is what responsible companies do, consult the experts.

I’ll stop here because I don’t want to ramble on the length of a poem, but right now emotions are high. Let’s step back and evaluate. There is more information to be shared.

3 Likes