Catapult Public Testnet Update

Dear Community,

We would like to address the Catapult Public Testnet Launch. Please see the statement below.

Testing ran into several roadblocks with a mix of configuration issues and correct keys generation. However a few nodes have been deployed. With breaking change from fushicho2, the tech stack needed complicated debug, and this has also delayed the delivery window since moving over to a testnet requires wallet, explorer, REST, SDKs, all to be ready and compatible for it. More details on this will be outlined in the coming migration updates. Thanks for everyone’s patience and support.

Japanese as follows:
Catapultのテストネットのローンチの件です。当初2019/11/27に公開予定でしたが、追加の対策が必要になりました。以下の説明をご覧ください。

すでにいくつかのノードが展開されています。

しかし、公開へ向けてテストを行ったところ、設定の問題と正しいキーの生成の組み合わせによって、いくつかの障害が発生しています。

Fushicho2からの重大な変更により、技術スタックには複雑なデバッグが必要になっています。また、テストネットに移行するには、互換性を持つウォレット、エクスプローラー、REST、SDKをすべて揃える必要があります。そのため、配信時期が遅れています。

詳細については、次の移行のアップデートで説明します。みなさまの忍耐とサポートに感謝します。

4 Likes

sorry for a stupid question, but Does this mean that the testnet is running or not?

2 Likes

Haste makes waste
急いては事を仕損じる…です

Please make sure progress
確かな前進があれば良いです

2 Likes

That´s right. But that should not stop the migration team from posting the right information at the right time. If the start date is 27.11.19, I should already know some days before if I can keep the appointment or not. I should then share this information on 27.11.19 with the community. It may seem petty, but that is the least we can expect.
Nobody has a problem with it, if due to technical difficulties
the time is shifted by a few days. The scope is still there (at the moment).

3 Likes

[quote=“Migration_Committee, post:1, topic:23934”]
moving over to a testnet requires wallet, explorer, REST, SDKs, all to be ready and compatible for it.
[/quote]

ARE YOU JOKING?

THE MIGRATION COMMITTEE DOESN’T HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT TECH OR WHAT’S GOING ON WITH AT THE TECH DEP

I THINK YOUR CURRENT CTO/PROJECT MANAGER IS INCAPABLE OF SHARING A BURNDOWN CHART WHICH WILL SHOW HOW MANY WEEKS WE ARE AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL TEST NET RELEASE.

THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS. IT’S SUCH A BIG THING, AND YOU UPDATED TO THE COMMUNITY 4 HOURS AGO? THIS SHOWS THE COMMITMENT AND RESPONSIBILITY OF THE TECH TEAM AND OTHER PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS.

I AM SURPRISED TO SEE THAT NEM’S TECH MOGUL JAGUAR DIDN’T NOTICE THIS BEFORE THEY POSTED THE PREVIOUS UPDATE!!!

3 Likes

It’s not added here (probably because of holidays in USA) so I will paste from @nemred.

image

2 Likes

Also, while of course this is a disappointing topic, your tone, your rudeness, and your choice of all caps will result in a severe disinclination of a serious answer.
If it were possible to communicate it earlier, the comms team certainly would have.
If you have something actionable, would love to hear it. In the future we are working diligently to avoid delays in communication such as have happened.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure those dates for wallets and explorer are for production ready, not available for testing. So the launch of testnet shouldn’t be dependant on those dates listed for wallets and explorer i think. Someone more involved in clients can correct me if im wrong, but i suspect those dates for production ready wallets and explorer will be pushed back due to delays in public testing using a testnet representative of main net to test them on going live.

Additionally, the tokenomics proposal is highly unlikely to be published publicly on the 30th per the infographic above. The date listed on that infographic should have been changed. There has been a very comprehensive proposal put together and is currently being reviewed internally. It’s likely the tokenomics plan will be further disseminated to wider groups early-mid next week. IF that goes very smoothly, we could see the tokenomics proposal released publicly late next week for review ahead of a PoI vote but that is dependant on all key stakeholders being broadly in support of the proposed plan.

On testnet, the main net configuration hasn’t been fully decided just yet, this is dependant on tokenomics and a few other factors/decisions so going forward people should expect a semi main net representative testnet to be released followed by a restart incorporating any bug fixes and updated configuration so that it is fully representative of main net.

All in all, the Q1 launch date is still on target although the fault tolerance for this date is pretty tight at this point. If there are any major issues or large delays around decision making it could push launch into early Q2 but for now its still on target. Nevertheless we are rapidly closing in on cementing everything this this side of xmas, at which point we should be able to head into 2020 with hardened plans and announce the reference block and launch date - what a nice christmas present that would be :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:thinking: This is a strange post because its a new account in our NEM forums assuming the name/misspelling of an original member (Lionheart) and then the “likes” under this post are also new accounts made the same day right after this post went live. So in short, you put a lot of time into making this new account and then the condescending tone/attack style tells me this post was done to try to hurt the integrity of the team. Things like saying, " THE MIGRATION COMMITTEE DOESN’T HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT TECH OR WHAT’S GOING ON WITH AT THE TECH DEP" and " I AM SURPRISED TO SEE THAT NEM’S TECH MOGUL JAGUAR DIDN’T NOTICE THIS BEFORE THEY POSTED THE PREVIOUS UPDATE!!!" is just obnoxious.

Moving forward, if you want a serious answer please frame it up in a more constructive way. We’re happy to answer hard questions.

That being said, there are some legitimate concerns hidden in the wild all caps/bolded text/thick red pen marks above. @kodtycoon responded with some detail on the context of the delay but here’s some more detail from Foundation tech team that might be helpful for you and community to know.

Foundation has had the network running since 0.9.0.1 release and just keep updating nodes as components update themselves. Meanwhile, devs are working on a few additional updates and Foundation tech team continues running and updating as new builds are pushed. So while it wasn’t communicated in full detail, progress is happening. :+1:

Expanding to outsiders running their own nodes makes sense once the internal teams get through this stable period. Also, config changes via tokenomics developments will need to be reflected which will reset the network. Tokenomics proposal should hit early next week so keep that in mind when you read the latest migration update that goes out sometime today (Friday Nov 29).

So those are some specific bottlenecks we’ve had and due to timezones and holiday break. End result is there was some unfortunate communication delays and folks under pressure to let community know what was happening. We’ll work on improving this.

6 Likes

oh…

【あるべきようであれ】です
障害に観える出来事も 必要なのでしょう

Events that can be seen as obstacles I need it too

Yo man, stealing my user name - not cool :smile: Reminds me of STUPID WATERGATE from John Oliver. That was stupid.

Anyway. I’m not very worried about the test net launch. I believe in Alex. I think few delays are okay, but proper communication is appreciated.

5 Likes

Thank you, real Lionheart. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We’re working to better improve overall communications. We know folks are excited and want to see Catapult live on public chain and we do too. Thanks for the support, everyone.

6 Likes