Few clarifications about harvesting

Started to read the docs about harvesting and have a few questions the answers to which I can’t find.

1. Docs tell me that I need ’ XEM Account with at least a 10,000 XEM vested balance’. It seems to be false as I need at least 10k + 7 XEM. 6 XEM for fees and 1 XEM to at least in the end of my life to get the XEM vested.
  2. Activation only needs to be done one time per account. This also seems false. As far as I understood if the account to which I am connected to is restarted I need to redo this. So I need to send a transaction (and lose 6XEM) each time the node is restarted. And because the nodes need to be updated (with new versions of software) the restarts are guaranteed.
  3. Local harvesting still forces me to lose 6XEM on a fee to start harvesting.

Can you please clarify whether my understanding is correct.

1. The information is correct, however to get to 10k vested you need a little more than 10k in account. You can use this link to see illustration how it will take to reach required vested balance with different amount > http://explorer.nemchina.com/#/harvestingCalculator

2. This is also correct, activation for harvesting need to be done only once. However, when a node restart, all harvester will be turn off/disconnected, you just need to connect to that node and restart harvesting, no fees required. You can also automate delegated harvesting by using this tool > https://nem-tools.com/#/harvesting/automated-restart

3. Harvesting activation is only once, but if you activate local harvesting after delegated harvesting or vice versa. The previous one will be deactivated, so, if you switch from local to delegated and vice versa, it will require fees again. Not so sure about this, can anyone confirm?

3 Likes

Start from watching my tutorial about Harvesting:

1. Use newer version of the wallet. Fees last time I checked were at 0.15 XEM per activation, and no additional fees for restarting.
  2. Restarts shouldn’t take any fees from your account. It’s not a trancastions as activation was (importance transaction).
  3. You are doing both things wrong
1 Like

Thank you very much for clarifications.

Thanks for the video. You have a good tutorial. It answers my 1st and 2nd question. Out of topic, but in my opinion I should not go to 3-rd party tutorials to find out that the documentation is obsolete. NEM can hire one technical writer to make sure that documentation is up-to-date.

BTW, your tutorial tells nothing about local harvesting. So your “You are doing both things wrong” is not helpful at all. What both things are wrong (apart of the fee amount), and more importantly what is right?

1 Like

How much XEM do you earn by vesting 10,000 xem for harvesting? Per day, week or month? Is it profitable?