Harvesting as node owner

Hey guys,

can somebody explain me the difference between delegated harvesting and remote harvesting?
I already checked out the docs here and here but still don’t get the difference.

So my basic understanding is this:

If I’m a node owner remote harvesting is the way and if I’m not delegated harvesting is the way to go.
Remote harvesting is used on a node, so that the private key is not directly saved on the node and potentially stolen when someone breaks into node
Delegated harvesting is used to harvest on a node if you have at least 10,000 XYM.

What’s the best practice if I have > 10,000 XYM and have a node running. I used symbol-bootstrap to setup the node.
What steps do I have to take to link my main account my node without exposing my private key data?

What confuses me is this part of the documentation:

“To clarify, Symbol Bootstrap automatically creates a remote account (labelled remote in the addresses.yml file) and sets it as the signer of the new blocks (using its private key in the harvesterSigningPrivateKey property). Then, the symbol-bootstrap link command announces the AccountKeyLink and VrfKeyLink transactions required to finish the activation.”
(Activating remote harvesting — Symbol Documentation)

Best
theboda

Edit: typo

Remote harvesting - you using your remote account private key directly in your node configuration.
Delegated harvesting - you sending a request (via transaction) to node to include your remote account into harvesting.

Why remote is better for node operators? Because delegated harvesting can be rejected by node and over time your address can be also kicked. If you will configure it in node configuration it will be not removed.

Thanks for that clarification.
How do I connect/link my Desktop Wallet (with my XYM) to my remote account (on the node) for harvesting?

Can I just activate delegated harvesting and select my own node? What would be the disadvantages? There I can’t be rejcted because I own the node.

If you will use delegated harvesting you can be kicked as any other delegator.
Here instruction how to use delegated harvesting: Activating delegated harvesting using the Desktop Wallet — Symbol Documentation