How to get NEM started on a Mac

Just an update - following multiple de- & re-installations, some further efforts opening ports on the router, and a bit of mixing and matching the instructions from linux and Mac OS, I eventually got everything up and running on both.  Thanks to all for your help.
Good luck all!

jk

But you don't know what finally helped?

Do you see an issue in one of the tutorials? Should we improve something there?

But you don't know what finally helped?

Do you see an issue in one of the tutorials? Should we improve something there?

Yes there are problems with the tutorial.... i'm trying to figure out the best way to get around them now

Yes there are problems with the tutorial.... i'm trying to figure out the best way to get around them now

Which problems? I want to improve the tutorials, but I can only do that, if you tell me what was wrong for you ;)

Which problems? I want to improve the tutorials, but I can only do that, if you tell me what was wrong for you ;)

i am scoping the problem right now

https://forum.ournem.com/tutorials/mac-users-with-workingunworking-clients-please-read/

Hi thanks again mixmaster

Truthfully I am not sure what helped but do think that there may have been some step missing from the tutorials in this thread and also from the ones on nem.io, since I followed them scrupulously on Mac OSX and also Linux several times, cleaning out computer each time, and no action - however for some reason at some point it started working on Linux, AFTER I had given up just re-doing the same stuff & started trying random things I thought might help… - possibly after I typed my best guess at command for starting NIS and NCC separately into a terminal window, as well as the advised one to start Monitor - or possibly after I had another go at opening/forwarding more ports on my router.
I then went back to Mac OSX and rapidly had success there too, my impression was it was by typing ./nix.runMon.sh into terminal although I am not sure.  However, there are some problems remaining, I can't seem to boot a local node (again), getting error messages when trying to auto boot or boot from in wallet.
Btw it's always the top left part of the shield which remains unlit, what does that signify?
Thanks

still not working.  What does this message mean?

21:00:25 INFO Acquiring exclusive lock to lock file: /Users/new/nem/mon.lock (org.nem.monitor.NemMonitor canStart)
21:00:25 SEVERE Could not acquire exclusive lock to lock file (org.nem.monitor.NemMonitor canStart)

top left part of the screen is the NCC I think. 

okay, just to make sure, I added this step to the tutorial.

On Mac go to Finder, then click "Go" at the top of the screen. Go to Computer, then Macintosh HD, then users, then your user name, and then delete the NEM folder.

so please do the following.

1) uninstall any NEM program you have

2) delete any folder called package that you would have used to run a stand alone

3) go to Finder, then click "Go" at the top of the screen. Go to Computer, then Macintosh HD, then users, then your user name, and then delete the NEM folder.

After you have done those three things, then please try to follow this tutorial gain for Mac.  Yesterday I noticed there were some mistakes and if you had been following it, it wouldn't have worked. Not exactly sure how those mistakes ended up in there as they weren't in the original one. 

It should work now though. 

http://blog.nem.io/mac-installation-guide-standalone/

For anyone who are still having issues on the Mac, here is one way you can do to resolve it

1. Update Java as per usual.

2. Verify that your Java version is the latest 1.8, in the terminal do
> java -version

3. If you see something like 1.6, it is not going to work. Now that you have updated Java, you start to wonder why isn't this working

4. What you can do is, change directory into the NEM standalone director, open up these files
nix.runConsole.sh
nix.runMon.sh
nix.runNcc.sh
nix.runNis.sh

Replace java with "/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java"
If you run the update correctly, the latest Java bin should be stored in that directory.

For anyone who are still having issues on the Mac, here is one way you can do to resolve it

1. Update Java as per usual.

2. Verify that your Java version is the latest 1.8, in the terminal do
> java -version

3. If you see something like 1.6, it is not going to work. Now that you have updated Java, you start to wonder why isn't this working

4. What you can do is, change directory into the NEM standalone director, open up these files
nix.runConsole.sh
nix.runMon.sh
nix.runNcc.sh
nix.runNis.sh

Replace java with "/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java"
If you run the update correctly, the latest Java bin should be stored in that directory.

Oh great tips!!! Thank you.

Also, just a summary from another post. 

Hi, there are a couple of common issues. 

1) Before installing a new version of NEM, you definitely need to uninstall any old versions of NEM.  So first uninstall any and all versions you can find.  (Each version will have its own folder in Applications).  And for added measure it is important to on Mac go to Finder, then click "Go" at the top of the screen. Go to "Computer", then "Macintosh HD", then "users", then your user name, and then delete the "NEM" folder. http://blog.nem.io/how-to-remove-old-nem-software-versions/  http://blog.nem.io/how-to-find-export-or-delete-your-wallet-and-address-book-file/

Only then after having uninstalled all versions and deleting the NEM folder, should you then try to reinstall.  (following the instructions above will delete your wallet, so want to back it up just to be sure.  And as always be sure to back up your private keys)

2) Mac might not allow you to install NEM due to security settings. If this happens, please go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Install anyway.

3) In Mac I went to System Preferences → Security & Privacy → Firewall → Firewall options → + → NEM 0.6.xx → wallet → okay. If that still doesn't work in Mac, you may need to turn your Firewall off.

4) It is very important to have the latest version of Java 8 running.

5) 10.10 Yosemite and up required to use the installer.  If you have 10.9 or lower, you must run the stand alone. 

These are all the common sticking points that I can think of with Mac.  I'm assuming you don't have any third party virus scanners or firewalls or things like that because they aren't really needed on Mac. 

Please let us know if it works.

One last trick is to try the stand alone.  I actually run it half the time on mac anyway just because it is a little more fun.  http://blog.nem.io/mac-installation-guide-standalone/