How to get NEM started on a Mac

Some people have had a hard time getting NEM going on a Mac, but I can confirm it is possible and this is how I did it. 

If you don't want to use webstart or if webstart isn't working for you, please try the stand alone version. 

It is actually pretty easy once you know how to do it, but like anything if you don't know, it is really hard.  hahaha

Step 1: Please make sure you have the latest version of Java.

Step 2: Download the stand alone version of NEM from here http://bob.nem.ninja (get the latest version) (the file you want is probably the largest file)

Step 3: unpack the file to the desktop and if done correctly, you should see a folder called

This was the old version.  Try this if the above doesn't work. 

Some people have had a hard time getting NEM going on a Mac, but I can confirm it is possible and this is how I did it. 

It is actually pretty easy once you know how to do it, but like anything if you don't know, it is really hard.  hahaha

Step 1: You will need the developers kit of Java.  Go here and download the version for Mac.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
(this may or may not be necessary, if you can get NEM to work with the regular java 8, please let me know in a comment)

Step 2: Download the stand alone version of NEM from here http://bob.nem.ninja (get the latest version)

Step 3: unpack the file to the desktop and if done correctly, you should see a folder called

reserved

Thanks a lot jabo38s,

I been able to start NEM on my Mac. Cheers

Thanks a lot jabo38s,

I been able to start NEM on my Mac. Cheers

Yeah!  ;D

Wow - the knowledge!!!

Thanks very much jabo38s - that's what I needed!

Finally up and running.  Many thanks to you, Rigel, patmast3r, Parana, mixmaster, BloodyRookie & everyone else who has helped me!

Great community in the true sense of the word, lots of people giving up their time to help me.

Thanks to all

jk

@jabo38s

when i attempt this i get

./nix.runNis.sh
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/nem/core/deploy/CommonStarter : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0

i am running the newest java Version 8 Update 31

thoughts?

Can you provide that nis log, please?

@jabo38s

when i attempt this i get

./nix.runNis.sh
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/nem/core/deploy/CommonStarter : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0

i am running the newest java Version 8 Update 31
thoughts?

This seems to be a good hint. Could it be that there still is some old java 7 installation somewhere on your mac? Maybe after installing the mac has java 7 as default?
Again I must emphesize that i don't have a mac and i have no idea how to check for old java 7 installations.
Maybe you can open a command window and type "java -version" (that is the way to do it on a windows computer).

Can you provide that nis log, please?

no i can't cause the log file is only created AFTER it attempts to start.  NIS and NCC never start so no logs are created

@Bonz: and what does "java -version" output in a command window?

java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

java version "1.6.0_65"

That's why it doesn't work. You got java 6 as active java version and you need java 8.
@gimre or @Jaguar, how do you switch java versions on a mac?

java version "1.6.0_65"

That's why it doesn't work. You got java 6 as active java version and you need java 8.
@gimre or @Jaguar, how do you switch java versions on a mac?

that explains why the webstart worked on the other macs to!  the browser uses the newest version by default

After Uninstalling java 6 it worked =D thanks guys

@Bonz: good to hear :slight_smile:

Hi I had some success with everyone's help previously by booting into Linux Mint on a USB Live stick on my Mac, just trying to get things going on Mac OSX & still having trouble.  Have downloaded latest client by standalone installer, definitely have Java 8 working or I think so, since java -version gives :
java version "1.8.0_40"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b27)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

NCC working fine, can make and open wallet, have verified address, private and public key, but at top of wallet getting persistent error message on yellow background:
No remote NIS found in the network, disconnected from internet? (at block 1)

I've reviewed the NIS log - link here: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/479688/nembot%20NIS%20log%20March%2030.docx
It seems these are the two error messages:

2015-03-30 19:18:35.925 WARNING Could not acquire exclusive lock to lock file (org.nem.core.deploy.CommonStarter <clinit>)

and then later:

2015-03-30 19:18:45.128 SEVERE Stopping Jetty Server.
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'nisAppConfig': Injection of autowired dependencies failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire field: private org.nem.nis.k.xq org.nem.deploy.appconfig.NisAppConfig.iw; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'hx' defined in URL [jar:file:/Users/new/Desktop/package/nis/nem-infrastructure-server__V0.5.19-BETA.jar!/org/nem/nis/k/hx.class]: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor argument with index 0 of type [org.hibernate.SessionFactory]: : Error creating bean with name 'flyway' defined in class path resource [org/nem/deploy/appconfig/NisAppConfig.class]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.flywaydb.core.api.FlywayException: Unable to obtain Jdbc connection from DataSource

then on for several pages about beans  :-X which doesn't help me much.

I know you guys are all super busy but any ideas?  Couldn't get things running on Mint either yesterday so thought I'd concentrate on Mac OSX since if I get this working I won't have to keep turning my computer on and off

Thanks 

John

I think this could be because test net is kind of down. Not 100 % sure though, a core dev should be able to answer this.

Yes, this is normal… Now even the testnet clients cannot be downloaded any more…
All the peers on testnet "vanished" as they moved on the mainnet.
The preparation for going live and open to everyone is in full swing.

Hi I had some success with everyone's help previously by booting into Linux Mint on a USB Live stick on my Mac, just trying to get things going on Mac OSX & still having trouble.  Have downloaded latest client by standalone installer, definitely have Java 8 working or I think so, since java -version gives :
java version "1.8.0_40"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_40-b27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.40-b25, mixed mode)

NCC working fine, can make and open wallet, have verified address, private and public key, but at top of wallet getting persistent error message on yellow background:
No remote NIS found in the network, disconnected from internet? (at block 1)

I've reviewed the NIS log - link here: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/479688/nembot%20NIS%20log%20March%2030.docx
It seems these are the two error messages:

2015-03-30 19:18:35.925 WARNING Could not acquire exclusive lock to lock file (org.nem.core.deploy.CommonStarter <clinit>)

and then later:

2015-03-30 19:18:45.128 SEVERE Stopping Jetty Server.
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'nisAppConfig': Injection of autowired dependencies failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire field: private org.nem.nis.k.xq org.nem.deploy.appconfig.NisAppConfig.iw; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'hx' defined in URL [jar:file:/Users/new/Desktop/package/nis/nem-infrastructure-server__V0.5.19-BETA.jar!/org/nem/nis/k/hx.class]: Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor argument with index 0 of type [org.hibernate.SessionFactory]: : Error creating bean with name 'flyway' defined in class path resource [org/nem/deploy/appconfig/NisAppConfig.class]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.flywaydb.core.api.FlywayException: Unable to obtain Jdbc connection from DataSource

then on for several pages about beans  :-X which doesn't help me much.

I know you guys are all super busy but any ideas?  Couldn't get things running on Mint either yesterday so thought I'd concentrate on Mac OSX since if I get this working I won't have to keep turning my computer on and off

Thanks 

John

Hi John,

not sure if you solved it but we are live now.  it is best to delete all remains of the previous NEM and start from scratch. 

http://blog.nem.io/how-to-remove-old-nem-software-versions/

http://blog.nem.io/mac-installation-guide-standalone/

http://blog.nem.io/getting-started-with-nem/

Hi there.  Thanks for your concern. 
I've repeatedly read and followed all the guides you linked to, also jabo38s's guides before that.
I'm still totally unable to sort it out unfortunately.  After a complete scorched-earth mission on my computer, following all the guides and also hunting round myself, I removed every last shred of anything nem/nom/nis/ncc/java-related from my mac, again downloaded correct java version from links you provided, again downloaded stand-alone from bob-nem-ninja & was defeated.  Repeated entire process with installer and still no joy.  What happens is as follows - Nem community client screen opens fine, no wallet found as I successfully deleted everything again, make a wallet and then -

Error message across the top:  NIS needs to be booted. Please open your wallet and boot a local node via the popup dialog or configure the auto-boot setting. (at block 1)

Trying to boot local node from within the wallet:  Error 306

Trying to set up autoboot from NCC screen: Error 500

This has been the trouble the whole time.  I've never had NIS synchronize from Mac OSX & never managed to boot a local node whether from inside the wallet or by autobooting.

any ideas?

Thanks guys

John