How to get the public key from a fresh new accout in NanoWallet? (Solved)

First of all, this is my fisrst post, so hello to everybody in the community.

The issue:
I just installed NanoWallet and got the following Wallet Address (at least this is the address listed in 'Account" as well as in “send/receive”):

NBCVL62FMSMFAP7GYENQPY5Z554AE4E4HK3JW6SV

But I do not have a public key yet. As stated, in order to get a Public key, I need to make a transaction first. As I understand, without the public key, the address is not visible in the net, but still exists.

So I didn’t think much about it (about the loop it may cause), and bought some XEM at Litebit.eu, hoping that this will be accepted as first transaction or that once the XEM were in my wallet I could make a transaction. So far, my Litebit order is “on hold” (bad sign) and when I check my wallet addres in the nanowallet explorer, there is no transaction/activity associated with it.

My guess is that Litebit needs my public key to complete the transfer. But I need someone (Litebit in this case) to send me XEM to my wallet, so a first transaction is made, thus I will get a public key. Kind of an endless loop, catch 22, vicious circle situation.

I looked through the forum about this issue but only found threads like these, that don’t seem so have solved the problem:

In some other thread, the issue was solved by someone sending 1XEM to the “newby” account, then the newby placing an own “0 XEM” transaction (with the 0.05XEM fee I guess), so he eventually got the public key, the transferred the 1XEM back to the first guy. Two things I do not understand from this:

1. How the 1XEM transfer could be done without the public key, or rather, why they could and Litebit and other similar trader can’t.
  2. How on Earth did anyone get the public key in the first place, if even getting funds into your wallet requires it?

I thought about trying with Changelly, as it is “advertised” within NanoWallet, but I am very much afraid I will have the same problem, and I prefer to fight battles one by one.

So, philosophical debates aside (which are nonetheless important)…

Can anyone help me with how to obtain the public key? How did you solve it? How can I solve it? Is there anything I am doing wrong? Is there an easier path?

Many thanks in advance.

Solved!

I’ll explain. Apparently, Litebit had some issues while operating without public key, but not anymore. Litebit support contacted me, explained the issue, they solved manually, and I already got the XEM in my wallet. I still do not have a public key because I have not operated with the wallet (just received some XEM), but this no longer a problem, since now I have the funds to operate.

I was getting nervous because I read multiple threads with apparent no solution to this.

Now the solution to the issue. Quite simple. When buying your XEM in Litebit (I am guessing this will be the same with the rest of usual exchange/traders) you will have a field where to insert your wallet address. Copy/paste your wallet address, no mysteries here.

Now the trick. Just below, you will have another fill saying “Message/Key”. Leave it blank! If you fill it with some message different than the public key (as I did :cold_sweat:), the “system” won’t get through it. In my case, the Litebit support identified the issue, manually changed the “Message/Key*” field, and the transaction was done.

Case closed. Hope it helps to someone.

2 Likes

I am having this exact same problem, but your solution of using Litebit won’t work right now because Litebit is giving a message that they aren’t doing XEM because of some maintenance. This might only be temporary and maybe it will work tomorrow.

But could you or someone send me a tiny bit of XEM to get me started and I will send it right back.
My address is NASE3G-3S4O6O-VLX5YJ-EYCFAQ-DXXVY3-FCPX74-RSTB

Thanks to anyone who will do this!

@PhoneTrips
First of all please tell with which exchange you have problem.
Thank you

The exchange giving me trouble is Switchain. I get an error message: “We couldn’t verify your XEM address”.

But the Litebit exchange seems to be working now, so I’m figuring out how to use it.

Ok. Let me know if you succeed.

My problem now is that I need to get my Litebit account verified by SMS. I live in the U.S. and gave them two US phone numbers – which they seem to support – but I never receive the messages. I sent them a trouble ticket, but they haven’t responded yet.

If you still need I can of course send you small amount.

Yes, please do send me something and an address to send it back. My address is
NASE3G-3S4O6O-VLX5YJ-EYCFAQ-DXXVY3-FCPX74-RSTB

But I must also solve my Litebit problem because I sent them some Bitcoin to buy XEM and sold the Bitcoin for their internal tokens. It won’t let me use the internal tokens to buy XEM because my account isn’t verified, so I have these tokens stuck in their system. Hopefully their support people will look at my trouble ticket on Monday,

@PhoneTrips sent 0.5 XEM

1 Like

I got it, thank you. But the Public Key still doesn’t show up in NanoWallet and still the message “You need to make a transaction to get a public key”. I think I saw somewhere that this won’t happen until I do a transaction to send something, so please give me your address so I can send it back.

Yes. Public address will be visible in network when you do outgoing transaction.
My address can be seen in your dashboard :wink:

1 Like

That all worked perfectly and I have the public key now, thank you so much!

Hi Phone Trips,

I’m having the exact same problem and I’m caught in the infinite loop!

Could you please send me 0.5 NEM? I really need my public key, lol.
I will send the 0.5 back to you asap.

My address is NCRA46-LFE5OA-EENU52-PDQD4R-3N5CVS-6V6OCB-JKVO

Thanks in advance!

@java_hound
I’m pretty sure that public key don’t help you.
What exchange did you use?