How to Use Delegated Harvesting

read

The NEM developers have been focused on making the NEM platform secure. Delegated harvesting is an important security feature because now a person can safely use any node on the network to harvest without fear of having their account being compromised.

On most POS based cryptocurrencies a private key must be passed to a node for one to harvest/forge. This is a security risk because it exposes the private key to potentially malicious actors. In NEM a person can delegate their importance score to another account that has no actual XEM in it. If that account is exposed, there is nothing to steal. While at the same time, any funds harvested on the delegated account will go directly to the original account that initiated the delegated harvesting. All the same benefits with none of the risks.

Getting started

1) Setting Up To activate "delegated harvesting", first open your wallet up. You will notice that you have two options. One is to “Start local harvesting” and the other is to “Activate delegated harvesting”.

To activate "delegated harvesting", please stop local harvesting first. Then select “Activate delegated harvesting”.

You will then see a popup that explains it will take 6 hours to start harvesting. Enter your wallet password and click okay.

If you were successful, you should now notice that there is a new transaction in your Dashboard that shows that you have made an “importance transfer” essentially delegating your importance score to another account that you may now use freely without any risk to your real account.

2) Starting After 6 hours has elapsed the button that was once labeled “Start local harvesting” should now read “Start delegated harvesting”. You can click on this button and may now harvest on any NIS safely whether that be a local machine or a remote node.

If everything is working correctly, you will now see an option to “Stop delegated harvesting”.

You now have all of the benefits of remotely harvesting safely with none of the risk. Congratulations!

Trouble shooting:

If you get an error message 699, please try to restart the NEM software. (There is a known bug in the latest version that will be fixed in the next release.)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://blog.nem.io/how-to-use-delegated-harvesting/

Hello,
I try to set up the Delegated Harvesting. I have around 12000 XEM in the account. I waited for the comfirmation of 600+. When I click the button Start Delegated Harvesting I get this message. What did I do wrong, what can I do?
Oops!
ERROR 700
NIS: HARVESTING INELIGIBLE
All the best, Pete

You have to wait until your vested balance is over 10,000xem to start harvesting. 10% of your xem will get vested every day.

Hey there,

I’m trying to set up the delegated harvasting. I have 22,5k vested balance. I try to “start delegated harvesting” but I got this error and I have no idea how to solve this… The following message always pops up (the stars stand for a number):

Error at unlocking account, reason: remote *** attempted to call local/account/unlock with non-remote address ***

I’ve tryed to set up the delegated harvasting allready over a month ago. My Remote status is ACTIVE, Vested balance Over 10 000 XEM, but state of Harvested blocks remains still:
No blocks harvested. Any ideas what I´m doing wrong?