Is a Message ID essential when using Changelly?

Hi,

I am having a nightmare with Changelly today. I sent LTC from my Ledger cold wallet in exchange for XEM. In the Message space I wrote ‘Top Up’. They are now insisting on a message ID and the word ‘Top Up’ is obviously not what they are expecting to see. I sent the LTC over 13 hours ago and the transaction is floating around on the blockchain as uncompleted. I have provided everything they asked for except this Message ID.

If they send the XEM without a MESSAGE ID will it effect the security of the transaction as it is going direct to my NEW desktop wallet?

I read in forum dating back to 2017/18 that a Message ID may not be required if it is not coming from/to a main exchange like Binance but Changelly are unable to cancel the transaction and return the LTC and they won’t send me the XEM without the Message ID or me saying to send it without. They have told me to talk to the NEW wallet support.

I am using official NEM desktop wallet V2.4.8 and sent the LTC direct via Ledger Live.
Please please please help - I am going totally crazy here :crazy_face:
Thank you so much
Kevin

If you are using an official wallet message is not required at all (only correct address). The message is only required when you sending it to exchange.

If they insist you can make up something like 837483748
Their support looks less qualified these days…

1 Like

Thank you so much @CryptoBeliever you are a OG legend :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The Chagelly people said they would tell the ‘team’ so watch this space …
I will post an update if they send the NEM through without further drama.

As you said they are not the quickest - they were asking me for information that did not relate to XEM it turns out. One was an email asking me for Destination ID reference which, when I questioned it, they concluded was actually only relevant to XRP transfers. Then they asked me for something else which they said was in the transaction data but I could not find it anywhere, then when I told them I could not find it, the next person who came on to chat said, Oh I see Gloria misled you with wrong information request! They really are not at all well organised considering how long they have been in the space! I had to deal with Kucoin support a few months ago and they were much more switched on.

UPDATE
Following the excellent advice provided by @CryptoBeliever :sunglasses: I told Changelly Support that the Message ID was NOT required in this case as it was going direct to a private wallet and not an exchange- they then agreed to process the transaction and my missing NEM arrived in my wallet within about 25 minutes of my sending the last message. I literally wasted about 8 hours emailing and chatting to support people trying to find a non-existent Message ID and to finally convince them that it was not required, in the meantime, the market was going against me - madness!

Hope reading this thread will help someone who suffers a similar discussion with Changelly.

1 Like

Further Update: @CryptoBeliever
I made a second exchange transaction using the desktop Changelly widget today and after clearly writing a message in the Memo box stating that this was a transfer from one private wallet to another, both under my control, it did not need a message ID included. They have again blocked the transaction exposing me to slippage - last time it took over 13 hours to get the mess sorted out. What is wrong with these people? As NEM includes Changelly as their preferred in wallet exchange partner, can someone from NEM not bring this issue up with Changelly as they are costing all NEM desktop wallet users a lot of wasted time and at the end of the day, money. I even told them that NEM said that a reference ID was not required in this case but they still are insisting on me providing one. I think I will have to go back to using Binance to make future exchanges as the in wallet app does not work without major interaction with the support desk at changelly and talking to them is like talking to a :brick: wall

@Iain_Wilson for your information.

1 Like

Nice to meet you @Iain_Wilson . After spending over an hour 30 on the chat app with 3 different support people at changelly I finally got a lady called Zoe on the line and she was keen to look into why my transaction was actually stuck as it had exchanged from LTC into XEM but did not get automatically sent to my desktop NEM wallet. The box asked for a Message ID - I could not find one anywhere so I entered a message to avoid the problems I had last time (or so I thought). I wrote “Private wallet to Private wallet transaction - no ID numbers required”. Well apparently if I had left the box completely empty, without hitting the space bar, putting a dot, a dash - nothing just empty space - then the transaction would have gone through automatically as they know that No ID can go straight through with NEM - but because I wrote a non-numeric message in the box it threw up an error and asked for an ID but no one really knew what kind of an ID they wanted to see or needed. I told Zoe that I was not the only one having big problems with changelly as the NEM Forum had plenty of similar Message ID issues dating back to 2017. So in this case, nothing is literally better than putting something.

I had the same issue with Changelly. I had typed a message as a memo for myself. Changelly claimed that the message could not be seen and they wanted to know what it said. They held my funds momentarily while I explained to them that the message was not required, that it was just a memo to self.

I advise to leave the message space blank to avoid the issue. I got lucky with the person I communicated with at Changelly, and he was able to release my funds within minutes.