Is NEM safe from government interference?

This is a completely noob question, but I wanted to learn about how safe NEM/Mijin would be from political interference?

An example is Venezuela and it’s petro coin, most Venezuelan citizens are having zero confidence in the petro coin at this moment.

My question is hypothetical in this example of the petro coin, say there was a labor-backed Venezuelan coin for it’s citizens not tied to the government and created on the NEM/Mijin network could this coin be shut down by the US if it wanted to destabilize the region?

The US example is being used since there is a long history of US influence on regime change that we’ve had in Latin America, and since NEM is headquartered in a US-allied country of Singapore. How safe is NEM from political instability or Neolibritatrian business models that tend to ask for forgiveness than permission when it comes to laws?

1 Like

Not really. Many countries of late have shown the ability to block the internet. For NIS you could just block all traffic on specific ports as they are consistent. All this goes for any internet service. Some specific projects have used tunneling to use https etc but that wouldn’t help if a country decided internet is off. A few groups are working on satellite based public internet for all but we are a long way from that.
This is just my opinion and conjecture…feel free to argue otherwise. :wink:

Nem foundation does not own Nem, nobody does

Well the internet is now centralized around such entities as Google and Facebook, in the western world.
Google imho dictates what gets a pass and what gets thrown in the shitbin.
Yet I do not think China has Google or Facebook.
So no I do not think governments could drop it but they indeed could make it difficult enough to send you broke unless you had a lot of ground support in your county that you were making it a currency.

The actual question is not about nem/mijin, it’s actually about internet.
So actual answer is “it depends”, you were referring to VE in question, so I would use it in description below.
If you have network of nodes inside VE, then without shutting down the nodes, EXTERNAL govt. should not be able to interfere. However, mind that big countries like USA/RU/CN have their own hacking groups AND/OR hire external hacking groups that could try to stop your whole network (with different means, not only directly attacking the network).

Another question is: could VE govt shut down such open/independent question. The answer most likely is yes, cause they have can simply order all ISPs to filter network traffic.
In most democratic and developed countries, any interference with how internet operates would be read as attempt at civil liberties and most likely would result in serious protests (sad truth is nothing would stri people up more, then taking them away images of cats).

Obviously you could have network that works on nodes running in different countries, but in this case, you hope, that governments of those countries won’t interfere.

2 Likes

so we are safe because of cat content, for now!

4 Likes

So many new comers shouting “lambo” everyday are now saying regulation is necessary and we must follow the law. These new comers seem to overwhelm the original liberty believers who doubt governments. If this trend continues, I can only pray we win at the end.

1 Like