Is NEM Scalable?

If NEM were to become more widely adopted, would it be able to scale? Or would it face the same types of difficulties as Bitcoin?

Right now the network seems to be limited to processing only 2 tx/s (120 transactions per block, one block per minute). Also as the value of XEM rises, it will be harder to get enough to be eligible to harvest. I guess problems like these may be easily solvable with a hard fork, but are there any other potential barriers to scalability that anyone sees? What kind of transaction volume can the network actually support? I’d love to see these questions answered by someone with more of a technical background.

We are far away from 2 tx/s. And we could easily go up to 10 tx/s or more. It is just a matter of how much memory the nodes have.

I see, thanks. I realize that right now we are nowhere near 2 tx/s, but I’m just trying to think long term here. If we could go up to 10 tx/s, that would make NEM more capable than Bitcoin is right now, so I guess there’s nothing to worry about yet. It’s just that at some point it becomes an issue, so I hope the developers have some kind of plan.