Is NEM turing complete or plans to be?

I’ve seen that NEM kept adding features that weren’t in the original paper.
Is there a up-to-date source of added and planned features/functionalities?
Thanks to all

1 Like

there is a roadmap to V1 in the development contract that states the following:

The completion of V1 is planned to include the following features:

● Completion of all the features in the existing wallet

● Coloured Coins (Smart Property Tiles)

● Business Rules (a.k.a., Smart Contracts)

● Decentralized Asset Exchange

● Integration of multisig into the AE and business rules

● Snapshotting for quick syncing of nodes

Whilst the above is a wish list, the development team will have to assess if it is

possible at all to implement some or all of the above. The development team shall be

in no way bound to this.

So I guess in general the asset creation feature is finished, now time to look at a asset exchange and business rules to start to make NEM smart. Then on to snap shots.

As far as I know there are no plans to make NEM turing complete, but instead give it functionality to do the things that people would normally what that for. For instance, I watched the big Ethereum conference and looked at the highlighted top 20 projects and watched how they talked about someday they were going to build x on Ethereum. But time after time, I kept on thinking, you could actually do that now with the features NEM has already implemented and it would be easy with the APIs. We just need to get more working examples and the word out more so people can get it.

1 Like

there are a few very important points in this aimed V1 development goals that will make sure NEM become one of fundamental pillars of the new blockchain economy

congratz!

2 Likes

It looks like ProximaX (that uses the NEM Blockchain) plans to be Turing complete. This could be even better, as you get all the security benefits of not being Turing complete on the NEM blockchain while reaping the benefit’s of having a Turing complete token in your ecosystem.

1 Like