Lightning Networks on Catapult?

I was wondering whether or not we’re going to see the neccesarry ground work for lightning networks/payment channels with catapult.

Would anyone be able and willing to answer that ?

Maybe there is going to be something similar ?

I’m not sure how exactly it would work, since NEM doesn’t use the UTXO system, but it should still be possible right ?

This is clearly a very usefull feature to have, especialy for businesses, so I think it would be a mistake to not make this possible with such a big revision or soon after.

bump since I really think this is important and I can’t believe nobody can answer this at all.

I don’t know of a lightning network in the roadmap.

Catapult will have some “lightning network” features, such as more transactions per second.

I don’t know much more than that though.

Thanks Saul, I appreciate you answering :slight_smile:

In theory, I guess we can do something much more secure for cross-chain support. That will be implemented later one. As for payment channels, yes, with things like time locks and multisig, you can do some cool things.

I suspect NEM will do “lightning networks” much better than Lightning network after Catapult has all its features.

5 Likes

have any projects started working this?

That tech would very valuable when considering micropayments,
could it benefit XEM faucet platform for instance?

Like sending faucet micropayments to a “private nem blockchain” and then when user withdraws,
the total amount is written in the public nem blockchain and transfered to the user.
It could be done without a blockchain of course, but think about p2pools, they have sidechains too.

There would be a huge save on fees, so that the faucet only pays important fees when sending the total amount txs in mainnet.

Another example is a prepaid balance for buying coffes.
The user pays 15-20$ to open a channel, between him and the shop, and keeps spending money.
Then after some time, channel is closed and balances are claimed and written to public chain.

@Jaguar0625 any info or insights on this?

Not to my knowledge.

3 Likes