Max supply of XEM coins

At anytime are XEM coins burned from the max supply? Transaction fees/gas? Anything? Will 9 billion XEM remain for the existing XEM?

NEM foundation tends to hold some coins to further development. There was also some set aside to provide original stakeholders with silver NEM physical coins, but weren’t distributed. Symbol is changing some of that supply, and has a plan for unclaimed XYM after 6 years.
Tx fee is about .05 per transaction, so roughly 5 cents if the price goes up a bit more.
9B XYM and 9B XEM will remain, so long as people don’t burn their coins by sending them to unknown addresses where there is no known private key to move them again.

Thanks for the reply! So the fee doesnt automatically burn the coin?

No, it stays in circulation, goes for that block to the harvest. Proof of Importance selects an address that qualifies, randomly, and sends them the transaction fees. It’s like mining in Bitcoin.

Thanks so much! I couldn’t find this info anywhere. You’re awesome!

You’re welcome.
XYM will work a bit differently, I don’t know the details yet.

https://docs.nem.io/ja/gen-info/how-local-delegated-harvesting-works

Would this documentation answer your questions?
https://docs.symbolplatform.com/concepts/fees.html
What else wound you add?

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about XEM. I wanted to know if the transaction fee is burned for good or do all coins continue in circulation. I know that the coins sent to the wrong address are pretty much burned but the transactions fees would be nice if those were burned also. Maybe :slight_smile: I’m not sure if it’s good to have 9 billion coins in the supply if you are looking at holding the coin long term. Thanks for the info!

The number of coins is mostly irrelevant, more coins just means they will cost less, market cap is more important. Although some new people wont buy BTC because they cant afford one, dispite a whole one not being important because they are infinately divisible

To me the marketcap is unknown yet. Blockchain is too new and there is truly unlimited opportunity in utility. The psychology of supply is important to the masses that invest. Why? Because they do what they are told. More supply is less money for my coin. But I know its irrelevant. Someday most investors will know that. Thanks for your reply.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.