Mobile App Design

I don't think this is a technical discussion and therefore decide that it should fall under the General Discussion category.

As you know, we are coming close to launch and things must move and not just making praises on how great NEM is going to be. NEM is only as great and as good as the results that come out of it and to achieve great results, we need to work on them to make it happen.

Now, I want to make it happen. Please give your opinions so that we can make a super duper design.

Will you all be kind enough to give your thoughts on what features our mobile app should have?

Hello.

I can only give you thoughts about the about features as I'm not good at design :slight_smile:
I think mobile app should be simple and should have just basic features because majority of people
are used to send and receive payments.
Other thing that could be done is an option (advanced mode ) that will change the app to show
other hidden features for the expert users.

The basic features should be:
1 (payments) send and receive coins
2) (transactions) overview of the sent and received payments
3) (address book) list of predefined NEM addresses
4) (messaging) send and receive messages
5) qr code scanning (payments over qr code)

That's it!
The rest that you can think of I believe should go under advanced/expert mode

Hello.

I can only give you thoughts about the about features as I'm not good at design :)
I think mobile app should be simple and should have just basic features because majority of people
are used to send and receive payments.
Other thing that could be done is an option (advanced mode ) that will change the app to show
other hidden features for the expert users.

That's it!
The rest that you can think of I believe should go under advanced/expert mode

Thanks Freigeist. Features are what I am looking at. Designs we leave it to the pro. ;-)

My advice
- klik on the QR Core for zoom
- Incoming balance notification
- Address Book

Was just looking around youtube and was really impressed by this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAywQ6spop4
Maybe some ideas from here can be considered.

Was just looking around youtube and was really impressed by this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAywQ6spop4

That's the best feature I have seen to date!!

Once upon a time, when I was young I had these mobile apps, when I left home.
lighter
flashlight
pocket knife
string (2m)

Would be a dream to have a smartphone with these old heritage-protected apps

lighter
flashlight
pocket knife
string (2m)

What on earth was the string for ?

lighter
flashlight
pocket knife
string (2m)

String (nylon) is for multiple use
You can use it for the string theory, which explains the universe.
As a fishing line
or stitching a wound (Stallone) - and much more

lighter
flashlight
pocket knife
string (2m)

Tie yourself up and hang yourself on a tree ;-)

Enable harvesting on app if possible, slow power consumption ftw, any old android phone/tablet would do  :slight_smile:

Enable harvesting on app if possible, slow power consumption ftw, any old android phone/tablet would do  :)

Won't be necessary once you can grant your harvesting power to a remote NIS.
Since the app will probably target casual users where many won't even know what harvesting is we should probably keep the feature set to an as needed basis. We don't want to give them features that seem like they do nothing for them other than drain their batteries.

Bear in mind, the target is the man on the street, not the geek. Remote harvesting will be a feature in the settings.

Ease of you
No frills
Fast to whip out and pay (NFC should be a feature)

Use should be like taking out a wallet, password swipe and pay.

Wallet should be kept with some balance (defined by user) and should not be loaded with $1 million.:wink:

Payment sequence could be configured to read QR and pay without question, i.e., pay after reading QR without needing to press a few more buttons.

Bear in mind, the target is the man on the street, not the geek. Remote harvesting will be a feature in the settings.

Ease of you
No frills

Wallet should be kept with some balance (defined by user) and should not be loaded with $1 million.;-)

Payment sequence could be configured to read QR and pay without question, i.e., pay after reading QR without needing to press a few more buttons.

you know the way smart phones have the security thing where you gota draw a certain shape out of 9 dots.. connect the dots in a particular way kind of thing? do you think that would be a good safe guard for users? they would be use to it and it prevents people from picking up the phone and messing with it.. just an access safe guard kind of thing? or would that be too little security?

This.

Amazing video! Let's just replace fiat from those apps and add NEM, and we have what we need. I think that besides of the mobile app wallet we could also start creating a merchant payment system at some point. So that out NEM mobile solution would consist of 2 different aspects: one for individuals and one for companies. Basically we could replace Optimal Payments :).

you know the way smart phones have the security thing where you gota draw a certain shape out of 9 dots.. connect the dots in a particular way kind of thing? do you think that would be a good safe guard for users? they would be use to it and it prevents people from picking up the phone and messing with it.. just an access safe guard kind of thing? or would that be too little security?

I think it could be a good idea. It would not be a bad idea to have some extra security in case of mobiles getting stolen, etc. And drawing dots is a really user friendly way of adding some security to the app.

Ease of you
No frills

Wallet should be kept with some balance (defined by user) and should not be loaded with $1 million.;-)

Yes, this feature is in!! The wallet is meant to be a "petty cash" wallet. Hence security should not be a big big issue. If one loses a physical wallet, there is no protection too. Hence a finger swipe is good enough. Still better than the physical wallet!!

Making it integrate with systems on the devices would be a boost.

Security features like using the fingerprint recognition on the iPhone for instance.

it has to be pretty and simple.  Just the vital information presented clearly.  One of the main reasons Google succeeded was the lack of clutter on the screen.

Also.  How will it actually work?  What will be the process between retailer and Nemster if it is going to be used as a retail portal?  Will it rely on people adopting Nem, or some system of proxy where nem becomes btc become gbp or usd or whatever?

?

Security features like using the fingerprint recognition on the iPhone for instance.

it has to be pretty and simple.  Just the vital information presented clearly.  One of the main reasons Google succeeded was the lack of clutter on the screen.

Also.  How will it actually work?  What will be the process between retailer and Nemster if it is going to be used as a retail portal?  Will it rely on people adopting Nem, or some system of proxy where nem becomes btc become gbp or usd or whatever?

?

"System of Proxy" is something we are also working on. But for fiat, it will have to be country specific. For BTC, it is simple enough. We should be able to do it.

Ease of you
No frills

Yes, this feature is in!! The wallet is meant to be a "petty cash" wallet. Hence security should not be a big big issue. If one loses a physical wallet, there is no protection too. Hence a finger swipe is good enough. Still better than the physical wallet!!

We can add additional protection to our wallets by using some simple, easy to use & totally free app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ukzzang.android.app.protectorlite&hl=en. I have been using it for my  Whatsapp, Personal pics, Messaging etc. and I am really happy with it. Really like the look on people's faces when they are unsuccessful in spying my Whtsapp :)

?

"System of Proxy" is something we are also working on. But for fiat, it will have to be country specific. For BTC, it is simple enough. We should be able to do it.

Some really creative ideas here. Feeling really excited to see what AltNemo will produce for us ;)