Need help getting up to date

Hey everyone,

I have been around since NEM started and was one of the initial stakeholders. While I do very, very occasionally check my wallet I was thinking of starting fresh after formatting my computer. What would be the easiest and/or most secure way to start using NEM again. Also how can I delete everything and start fresh without losing my current XEM. I can no longer connect to the NIS for some reason and as such cannot export a .json for a lightwallet. Would it be best to just create a new wallet using my private key and start from scratch? Would I still retain all my XEM with this key? I got the key from when they gave out the XEM to the initial stakeholders. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

The most important thing is to definitely back up your private key in multiple places, then back up your wallet with a good password.

Either is good enough to access your funds on a fresh install, but having both is best practices.

Thanks for the reply. What wallet would you recommend if I’m not too into the technicals? I’m just looking to start trading it again.

I didn’t have a backup when it all stopped working, but I do have my private key. Would it be possible to make a new wallet out of that key and then backup that wallet? What happens to my old wallet if I just format and secure erase the drive with it on there? Will this cause any issues in the future?

Apologies for all the questions. Thank you again for your help.

Hello jyou17. The best wallet in today’s date is Nano wallet. I’ll take you through a step-by-step process:
-Please visit https://www.nem.io/install.html and download the Nano wallet.
-Extract the file to your desktop(or somewhere else you like) and double click on the file “start.html”. -It’ll open a browser in your pc and fire up Nano wallet.
-After this click on the “Signup” option in the top right hand corner.
-Choose “Private key wallet” and fill in all the details.
-Provide a Wallet name and type in a very strong password. Remember your password should be very strong. The password should contain, preferably, more than 20 characters(use special characters to make it more stronger). I prefer a password of more than 32 characters.
-Type in your Account address and your Private key. Leave the last option as “Mainnet” itself.
-Now your browser will download a wallet file. Copy it and keep it somewhere safe.

And now you should be able to access your account :slight_smile:
EDIT: Oh yes, after you are completed with creating the wallet. Now click on “Login” button on the top right hand corner. Select the wallet name that you just created and enter in the password.

3 Likes

+1. good post

Thank you for your informative and helpful post iaminitnow06. I will follow that exact process you have provided when I format my computer. I have my private key on a USB and in paper form stored securely and will most definitely create a strong password/passphrase. Thank you as well jabo38 when I have a new wallet I will definitely back that up too!