NEM Beta 0.6.74

NEM Beta 0.6.74

This is SECURITY-related release.

• it changes httpasyncclient, which as experiments with node-rewards have shown, should result in a stable networking (there was an issue in httpasyncclient).
  • it fixes a security issue, found by expedite (bounty will be send #soon), details will be announced after holiday break.

Having that in mind we encourage to switching ASAP.

If you’re using the installer make sure to stop running ncc and nis before running the installer!

NEM requires Java 8
Remember installer requires 64-bit java
You can download java from official page: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

You can start NCC and NIS with an installer from the following link: http://bob.nem.ninja/installer/
Standalone version: http://bob.nem.ninja/

4 Likes

Thanks for the fix and update!

Docker config updated to this last version. See on docker hub or the helper scripts. If you use the helper scripts, it is just a matter of doing
./stop.sh ./boot.sh
and you’ll be running the latest version.

2 Likes

NIS crashes after these log lines:

2016-03-24 01:46:31.435 INFO e[0;32mcalculating trust valuese[0m (org.nem.peer.trust.CachedTrustProvider a)
2016-03-24 01:46:31.452 INFO e[0;32mtrust calculation finished (13 values)e[0m (org.nem.peer.trust.CachedTrustProvider a)
2016-03-24 01:46:31.524 SEVERE e[0;31msomething really bad happened: java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: network boot failede[0m (org.nem.nis.NisMain b)

are you using proper config file?

Windows installer seems to be broken, ie.:
-“uninstall.exe” doesn’t exist in “Program Files\nemwallet”
-the wallet shortcut in Start > Programs isn’t created
-the uninstall shortcut in control panel isn’t created

Also, when installed 0.6.74 for the first time (without touching existing installation of 0.6.73) I got this after launching the wallet:

2016-03-24 15:37:50.324 SEVERE Stopping Jetty Server.
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ServerConnector.open(ServerConnector.java:321)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractNetworkConnector.doStart(AbstractNetworkConnector.java:80)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ServerConnector.doStart(ServerConnector.java:236)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:366)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.nem.deploy.CommonStarter.a(CommonStarter.java:103)
at org.nem.deploy.CommonStarter.a(CommonStarter.java:195)
at org.nem.deploy.CommonStarter.b(CommonStarter.java:184)
at org.nem.deploy.CommonStarter.a(CommonStarter.java:82)
at org.nem.deploy.CommonStarter.main(CommonStarter.java:76)
(org.nem.deploy.CommonStarter a)
2016-03-24 15:37:50.324 INFO NEM Deploy 0.6.74-BETA shutdown… (org.nem.deploy.CommonStarter a)

Then after uninstalling everything, removing all folders, and re-installing 0.6.74 from scratch it started working.

OS=Win 7 Ultimate 64

That usually means that an instance of NIS already was still running. That has nothing to do with the installer. Next time, to be sure that after shutting down nem monitor, check with the task manager if all java processes have been shut down.

Yes, same config was working before.

I had installed the new version over the old one. That did not work.
Now, I deleted the package folder completely and reinstalled the new version.
Nis started ok now. I don’t know what the problem was.

Well, I described 2 issues actually: 1st one with the installer, and the 2nd with launching new wallet version (please note the word “Also,”). The sequence was the following:

(1) Existing installation was 0.6.73 - working fine, db synced, no issues
(2) Installed 0.6.74 directly over 0.6.73
(3) Launched the wallet - couldn’t start nis anymore, ncc started fine
(4) Removed everything from \Program files\nemwallet\ and \Users\nem
(5) Restarted machine
(6) Installed 0.6.74
All is working fine now, except delegated harvesting that I can’t start now with error 306.
Not sure why harvesting doesn’t work, and still investigating. Perhaps, the remote server that is currently down has locked my delegated key somehow - is that possible?

Looks like I was hit by many issues at the same time. The critical one was that I got error 306 after upgrading to 0.6.74, but I think the upgrade wasn’t the only reason, but also offlined server that was harvesting for my account. I’ve been doing the following to restore a correct state of my wallet (maybe some of you find it useful):
(1) Backuped up wallet, configs, mainnet DB, etc.
(2) Removed everything related to NEM from \Users\ and \Program files\
(3) Installed 0.6.73
(4) At this point Delegated harvesting was active, but not started
(5) Started deactivation of delegated harvesting
(6) Surprisingly “Stop local harvesting” came up. I’d expect “Start local harvesting” will be shown because the previous state was “Start delegated harvesting” - anyone knows why is that so?
(7) “Deactivating delegated harvesting” is now in progress

@tomkat:

1. The installer is fine there is no problem with it. The problem with nis not starting was that nis was not shut down correctly, not sure why that was the case.
  2. It was unnecessary to remove everything from User\nem. That actually caused the problem with the delegated harvesting. when you create a new wallet, a new delegated key for harvesting is created. Since the system doesn’t know about the new key, Attempts to start delegated harvesting fail.
  3. To solve 2) you have to deactivate delegated harvesting (i guess (7) indicates you already are doing that) and then activate it again.

If you encounter problems with new version in the future, don’t remove the users\nem folder. Just restart your computer or kill all java processes with the task manager.

BloodyRookie,
ad 1) Well, it wasn’t fine on my side at the time when I first installed it straight over the existing 0.6.73 installation.
ad 2) Ok, however, I created new wallet, imported the old account (that one that was used for delegated harvesting), and set it as primary, so it actually means I restored the previous state of my account. Do you mean that even after doing all of this, the new delegated key for harvesting was created?
ad 3) Yep, hopefully it will solve all isues :slight_smile:

What about no. (6) in my post above? Do you know why is that?

wrt to 2) : whenever you create a wallet and add an existing account, a new delegated key is created. So you have to deactivate and then activate delegated harveting each time you recreate the wallet with the account.

wrt to (6) : not sure how your config.properties looks like, maybe you have nis.shouldAutoHarvestOnBoot set to true.

NIS + Lightwallet can’t come soon enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, this option is true, but it’s true by default, isn’t it?

So, the conclusion isn’t optimistic. I had everything up and running for several days, and suddenly 2 events ruined my setup. Those were: update to new version + unexpected offline of the remote harvesting server. The only thing I did was downloading the new Windows installer and installing directly over the existing setup. Ultimately, I’ve lost 20 XEM for re-activating delegated harvesting. Not much but still… I think harvesting workflow still requires improvements.

It will be improved, but only inside lightwallet. We do not expect any changes inside ncc anytime soon.

I could run NEM Beta 0.6.74 on Raspberry Pi 2. Thanks you so much !

Delegated harvesting has nothing to do with a remote server. The delegated account is harvesting on your local NIS.
But you probably have the old delegated key set as boot account? In this case it would try to harvest with that account, but since you deleted the nem database the account is not known. Well hard to tell without seeing the configuration.

I do not know how to use the nis-ncc-0.6.74.zip file.
Do i just unzip it and place the files in the wallet and replace the same files?