NEM Community fund for little projects

I think NEM community isn’t using the Community fund for little projects. Seems like just business is taking advantage of it (it’s not bad).

I would like to see full nem open source projects of 50.000 XEM ~ 100.000 XEM size made by 1 ~ 3 developers. I do think that this kind of projects doesn’t need a huge marketing to get the community fund approval.

I would like to ask you, nem community, why aren’t we getting this kind of community fund project proposals? Do you think it’s so hard to get a successful proposal? Are the guidelines hard to follow?

11 Likes

Well good question.
I think it could be hard as a single person (or few) to advertise and encourage enough people to vote for the proposal.

2 Likes

Also if you read the https://nem.io/wp-content/themes/nem/files/CommunityFundDao.pdf
The whole procedure and style of writing is really not targeting individuals.

Eg:
“The company must have already opened a legal bank account and shall have either money in the bank to substantiate the completion of the project or show su cient XEM in their account(s) that they are serious in doing the project.”

1 Like

From my personal experience of nem library community proposal, it was hard. Back then, we received a little help in sharing the community proposal among different channels, but mostly we had to do it by ourselves and taken a lot of time.

Currently, NEM Foundation shares some ongoing community proposals of Twitter for example. If the community proposal is professional and serious, all of them should be shared to get the community proposal if the community wants to fund it.

The next project of this size could be a pilot to know how the community responds to a small size project and find methods to make it happen :grin:

Also if you read the https://nem.io/wp-content/themes/nem/files/CommunityFundDao.pdf
The whole procedure and style of writing is really not targeting individuals.

Eg:
“The company must have already opened a legal bank account and shall have either money in the bank to substantiate the completion of the project or show su cient XEM in their account(s) that they are serious in doing the project.”

Next line says Not more than 500k shall be allocated to non-company public entities :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anyone can start a company in Australia, all you need is an ABN (free) and then register your company name , about $480.00.
This whole “We are a company” thing is a sham.

Did Mark Zuckerberg or the guys that invented Google require millions in up front funding?

Just because some blokes pool in some cash and send a screenshot of their bank balance to the Nem foundation IMHO, its leaving the smaller guys out, you know people cry about ethics, yet the little guys are still there plugging away… will Nem follow the pack or will they actually make some moves to ensure fresh new ideas are accepted?

I like your idea and I would vote for it.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi All!

I think, it good idea. I vote on.

I agree this is not used very often for little projects. PacNEM was such a project but it didn’t use the community fund, rather bounties.

as mentioned by @aenima, it seems the community fund DAO maybe doesn’t apply to individuals and that’s why lone wolves will rather choose the Bounty Program than the community fund proposal, I think.

I would love to see this changing too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps people see the effort that goes into these proposals are turned off by the effort required. For some it’s looked like not too far off a full time job.

I’d lower the PoI requirements and make the voting module more prominent before pushing for this. I’m sure more than a few wallet users don’t even know it’s there or what it’s for.

I think the nature of the fund should be for stuff that otherwise would never have a chance of getting funding anywhere else. Businesses have a billion other places to find money. I don’t think they should be here. It’s a unique pool of money and it ain’t getting replenished.

I’d lower the PoI requirements and make the voting module more prominent before pushing for this. I’m sure more than a few wallet users don’t even know it’s there or what it’s for.

Do you think lowering the PoI requirement will incentivise the creation of little projects? Have you some thoughts of how to do it?

I think the nature of the fund should be for stuff that otherwise would never have a chance of getting funding anywhere else. Businesses have a billion other places to find money. I don’t think they should be here. It’s a unique pool of money and it ain’t getting replenished.

I agree with you, it should focus on funding projects that haven’t another alternative to get funding

interesting thoughts, I do agree on the uniqueness of this Fund.

I would love to hear about smaller projects too because as you mention, Businesses usually have far more opportunities for Funding than Individuals.

People who might consider submitting for a smaller project are probably turned off by the idea of having to attract that much attention.

Maybe less PoI isn’t the best way. Maybe wallets with a certain balance beyond a certain age should be eligible for smaller votes, or perhaps forum or Telegram accounts.

PoI is a heavy hammer to use for a small job. There are passionate people who know a lot who don’t have much, or any, PoI.

1 Like

, or perhaps forum or Telegram accounts.

Proof of Community Activity for smaller Community Projects :slight_smile: anyone dev jump in here, Forum / Telegram activity is usually undervalued, LOTS.

I think some projects we saw during the nem global hackaton were perfect to this kind of funding.
I’m usually in the Community funding groups but almost never anybody approach to us with a small but cool open source project.
The POI I think is not the problem. It;s the project it self. Make it easy to undersand to everybody, make it useful. Some projects are too complicate, asking a lot of money and difficult to get customers.
I like the Japanese approach, they are launching cool small projects with success.

I think you need to be incorporated to even ask for community funds, also a lot of activity on the forums (even I am not classifying). And the 3% rule is just too much of a marketing for 1-2 devs usually.

I would strongly recommend for the NEM Foundation to set up the bounty pool, of around 1M XEM per quarter. Please create the list of needed tools, for example:
-ledger nano integration to nanowallet (100k XEM)
-mosaic transfer integration in mobile apps (50k XEM)
-catapult libraries (10-20k XEM)
-trezor T integration (100k XEM)
-mobile phone voting setion (40k XEM)
-nanowallet/mobile phone send XEM to email module (30k XEM each)
-webcam QR code scan in NanoWallet (10-20k XEM)

If I would be NEM Foundaton member, I would take an effort to create full list of cool features and tools needed. Then I would bug Kristof or Jeff to set up a fund and make it official.
I can’t do that. But you guys can @deleted_user_1 @Trikar_Blockchain @gimre @jabo38

The whole purpose of community fund proposal is to give NEM holders tools for picking up the worthy project and I feel it makes sense in projects bigger than 500k. Foundation is there as the entity curating growth of NEM so should make fast and clear decisions on smaller projects, this is my opinion.
And it’s not only this particular case, I feel Foundation is sometimes turning around the responsibilities. NEM owners (decentralized mass of people) should decide about the things on the macro side, huge projects, development.
NEM Foundation should decide on swift actions, small projects, and ways of executing the will of NEM owners. This is highly centralized entity so swift actions should be their agenda. But the reality is completely different of course.

1 Like

I would prefer to help the community make this on their own rather than be a NEM Foundation driven. The community should find interesting projects and commit to them to create a strong NEM ecosystem.

We could promote some little projects, yes, but most of those are quite obvious and perfectly driven by the community. The community shouldn’t wait for the Foundation bounty if they think they can do some little project, they (should) have the tools to do it.

Make a 1M XEM bounty (random number by the way) by the Foundation doesn’t solve the problem.

The foundation will know where the most gaping holes are so they’ll be best qualified to decide which ones to plug.

But yes, community-decided stuff would be more agile. Either way there should be a more lightweight route.

I would like this to happen in a collaborative way.

There are already some initiatives by the community to create more content & software, and those initiatives could be rewarded by NEM Community fund independently of NEM Foundation, that’s my main point.

The main concerns here are:

1. It’s too hard by an individual to get a reward from community fund because of 3% of importance.
  2. NEM Foundation should publish known gaping holes

I agree with both, but I still have to push that we need community-driven initiatives.

I’ve been talking with different people that have ideas and want to promote them, I would like that those ideas still be community-driven. I would really like that to happen. Other communities that happen naturally, in NEM we haven’t that mindset yet.

I have been trying to engage the community to create software and so on, but this won’t happen if the community doesn’t know their tools to create things or they aren’t promoted enough.

This thread aims to find out the reasons and take some actions to solve them.

If people are committed, we could help define/help in some projects made by the community. A good example is this post → Using a secret lock transaction for an atomic cross-chain swap - NEM Catapult 101

On the other hand, we will work on publishing some project definition of that can be made to fill some gaps we have/know. Does it imply that NEM Foundation will put bounties on each project defined by us? No. Some, but not all of them. The reason is that I do think that the community should help each other, instead of being all NF driven. That should make the community stronger.

Next topic, how do we all do this? How do you think you could contribute in this?

2 Likes

I think there are enough bounties and incentives for all type of projects. Agree with Aleix that more bounties are not the solution. We need more collaboration from the community rather than ask constantly when moon, lambo, catapult, Xem 2$.
There is no lambo and 2xem price if there are not projects. All kind of projects.
As I said, Japanese community are launching easy projects (I think there is no bounty or reward for these projects).

Put ideas and community devs together.
For example make a list of cool and “easy” ideas that can be done with NEM features.
E.G create a POS or invoice creator using XEM for every merchant. Looks like Japanese community did, but its only for JApan. How about do one international.
Voting system. Is there any chance to create a general website without using the nem wallet and people can vote. (So when you vote you have to put your address for paying the fees but without downloading the nem wallet). That website can be use lby other organizations.

1 Like

ummm…
The foundation will proceed with the project proposal, but there are not many results.
At least, most people currently contributing to NEM have not received financial support from the foundation.

But they are already producing results.

This is only a part.
What do you think?

xembook
http://xembook.net/

TipNEM

Raccoon Wallet

PicoWallet
https://picowallet.net/

LCNEM Wallet

nem login
https://nem-login.com/login