NEM Ecosystem - Community Reinvigoration Strategy

I read the NEM Community Reinvigoration Strategy (JP).

It says that the Japan Advisory Group is an elected volunteer member. However, the current NEM Japan team is an unelected, paid member.
Perhaps these two teams need to work together, but I feel unfair.

If the purpose of the management team is to gain insight into the Japanese community, it would be good to have a group of professionals hired by NGL to collect and analyze what the Japanese community has to say.

It is questionable whether a direct dialogue with management is necessary. I’m not good at English, and I tried something similar through an interpreter with a former NF president before, but in the end I couldn’t communicate well.

Or you can create your own Japanese subsidiary within NGL. In order to make Japan better through NEM, I think it is very important for Japanese people to have discussions in Japanese. Although Japan is a global country, there is a closed-minded side to it.

If you were to do marketing in Japan, you would have to adapt to the Japanese market instead of doing the same thing as their parent company. There are many expressions that are difficult for Japanese people to understand just by translating the text created by the parent company.

And the subsidiary should report the situation in Japan to the parent company on a regular basis. I think this is the best way, but I think it’s hard to find people who can fulfill the mission.

What do you think led to the acceptance of NEM in Japan? That’s because there were Japanese people on the initial core team, and also because TechBureau Japan was involved. It’s simple.

6 Likes

to place japan in a special position leave a strange taste

i want NEM to be a global project

and if there is a aim to push for local regional communities on top

then it should start first continent size units with europe america asia

and later if demand exist u can break it down to smaller units

and that based on language and not nationality

english
german
french
spanisch
portugise
chinese
japanese
korean

and so on

to be honest as myself a close to 50 year old and non native english speaker
i think u can expect 98% of blockchain/crypto early adopters to be able to read and understand english
and constant improve because each time a word written they dont know they google in their favorite online dictonary

refuse to learn and improve is not the mindset of early adopters

we are pioneer who reach out for new frontiers

we are the best of mankind we adapt and improve to whatever is needed to prosper well in this new enviroment

learn a common language is one of the less demanding tasks on our voyage

and between master a language and be able to read and communicate is a big difference

no one demands we able write perfect harvard english

7 Likes

we are the best of mankind we adapt and improve to whatever is needed to prosper well in this new enviroment

Now, this is a good Slogan for the community! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t think English is appropriate as a common language.
of course we can understand if you speak perfect harvard English.
but if you speak “Tell me about it.” , we will try to tell you more about it.
Even “Google” is telling we to do so.

And when the debate becomes incandescent, you use like those words a lot.

3 Likes

Hi all, thanks for all the discussion so far, its good to see it has people thinking. I will try and round up several replies in one.

@cryptonit @gevs

DAO is a strong word…etc

That is fair. It doesn’t need to be called a DAO, we just need another word for it and Dorian has several in a later post that look goo. The activity platform also use the term Social Mining, but its a bit unclear. Ultimately NEM community can call it whatever we like to refer to a pool of tokens that the community can choose to allocate to community members for supportive tasks, contributions etc. We can work on this name over the next few weeks, it may even be a good first task/vote!

@Stinghe_Dorian

Regarding the detailed document that you have provided…etc

Thanks for consideration of it and your reply(ies) raise several useful points. Regarding solid/concrete plans it was written that way on purpose. NEM Group is not trying to tell the rest of community what to do and impose that, we are trying to start a conversation as a community member that we think there are some things which should be considered.

The amnesty concept is one of those, we aren’t sure if its wanted or not either, but it has caused a lot of bad feeling on both sides. So we wanted to ask if people think it is wanted or not. If people think it has broken part of the community or not etc. If it is wanted, we are happy to help co-ordinate it, if its not then the community have decided that rather than an entity, we would like it be a conscious community choice though. We are trying to think of ideas for everyone to move forward from that means every positive news story and post doesn’t turn into a 100 reply thread most of which is X person did this, Y person did that and isn’t focused on the progress. It happens to often on the forum and on twitter, which ultimately hurts progress and forward momentum.

I encourage all of you to come up with alternative plans in parallel and release them for discussion

100% agree with this, we want the community to be engaged and decide the direction, we are just trying to help move past frustration/apathy. Its been great to see initiatives (like discord) over the past few weeks. No one pretends to have all the answers here, if there are better suggestions, we definitely want them out in public and to be implemented.

@Stinghe_Dorian @gevs

XRP army

Yep, I agree, some of their techniques are not naturally how NEM community members tend to act and they can even be quite hostile sometimes. We don’t need to be them, it was more a quick and easy reference to saying NEM would probably benefit from a public and vocally supportive, organised group. As a community we can work out how best to do that for NEM.

@tresto @TakaNobu
Thank you for the input, particularly with the language challenges (I have seen some chat on NEM Japan I will try and reply via translation soon). I am concerned that some of the messages have not survived well from English to Japanese. The main points I want to make sure are clear across languages:

1. NGL are not telling the community how to behave, or trying and enforce that.
  2. The code of conduct would not be written by NGL, it would be written by the community and agreed by the community - the behaviour in NEM Japan for example appears to be a good level or respect and questions. Hard questions are not a problem.
  3. NGL is saying we think there have been problems, mainly in the English speaking community, and we think it would be healthy to try and fix them. Rude and disrespectful behaviour we think has been a problem and want to help heal that problem.
  4. NEM group are not and do not want to be admin on any community channels. Any community channels, they should be controlled by the community.
  5. The input here is valuable and being listened to, it is also similar to the focus group/advisory concept to ensure we are able to hear the feedback and understand it.

@tresto on some specific items:

Japan Advisory …

The current NEM Foundation team in Japan are paid by the NEM Foundation, you are right. Mikun as Community Lead, Etsuko as Communications/PR lead and Kevin Newman as Business Development. The Advisory Group is different to this team. A team of paid people will continue to exist in Japan via NEM Group we need to work with that team to work out how to structure this most effectively. The same is true for other regions. We are working to move the tech and sales teams first. That is being worked through just now and conversations will start very soon on this approach as well.

The advisory group, needs to be defined with the community, if it is useful and wanted. If it is not we can have a different approach. That will be done via conversations, survey(s) and focus groups.

The goal to make sure the community voice/questions/ideas are understood well. In both directions. We plan to work with the community to see how that should be achieved and more detail will be published in the next 2-3 weeks. All of the community, both in Japan and outside Japan. There are members of the community who speak both languages and may be willing to be more involved. The Activity Platform part we think could help with this, but we want to speak to everyone about this over the coming weeks to make sure it can.

I also agree. Direct dialogue will be difficult (my Japanese is very very bad!), it will probably be via local teams and bilingual community representatives who can help be a bridge. This hasn’t worked well so far and we want to work together to see how best to achieve this, because it is important for everyone. We can, for example, also help Japanese projects and companies expand to other regions if we understand what is being done and how best to help.

If you were to do marketing in Japan…

We agree and understand this, some of the team have experience in Japan and other non European language countries/cultures. This is one of the reasons that an in country Communications and PR lead exists already. It is very important to ensure marketing is tailored correctly for several regions, Japan is one of those.

Japanese subsidiary within NGL…

Whether it is a legal subsidiary, or a team employed by the parent company, we agree and know there is a requirement to ensure the approach is localised and information passed well in both directions. We are looking at this as part of the re-organisation of global teams and expect to have more news on this in the next few weeks. The job of this team is likely to be a combination of promoting the project/technology and assisting the local community to do the same, capturing feedback and ensuring responses and messaging are understood.

but I think it’s hard to find people who can fulfill the mission

It is a very difficult mission, but we think it is worth the effort and want to work together to find the best way to do this - whether paid, volunteer, combined, focus group, advisory group etc. If the community has any ideas do please send them to be in public or private, we will also begin these conversations very soon to try and help.

What do you think led to the acceptance of NEM in Japan? That’s because there were Japanese people on the initial core team, and also because TechBureau Japan was involved. It’s simple.

100% agree

I hope the above is understandable. I have tried to write it so it has short sentences and hope translation is simpler. Let me know if anything is unclear please.

8 Likes

Love these ideas @Stinghe_Dorian please keep throwing them up as you have them, also the rest of the community. This is the type of energy, ideas and motivation we need to get the community back active.

Most of these are possible within the community activity platform/approach. I have made sure this comment is captured internally and Dorian I have a funny feeling I know who will be part of some of the focus groups.

Let’s try and keep this type of movement going, it is very motivating to see and will be a key part of what wakes up NEM as a sleeping giant (or doesn’t) in terms of noise and activity through this year

4 Likes

A little more time will pass and nem will leave the top 30.
Why was the new wallet created NBKXLNQ2GKTLQBTXNFOHULNJDA7T2Q57CZGQ2TFP - 394,151,003.85 xem (NEM Group (NGL))?
We need very good marketing, what is happening now is horror.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the place, but I’d really like to see a place where crossover between different languages is as easy as one click away. I’m a big proponent of our own official Discord server, were I could be in e.g. the Japanese and the English channel at the same time. An experimental server was discussed here. It would really help if the different communities are on the same server, and if people from NEM or representatives would hang out there from time to time.

@Stinghe_Dorian the Discord link is expired. Is the experiment over?

no link expiers every 24h here is the new one https://discord.gg/jKgRRq

Product, Price, Market and Community, these four parts are a complex relationship. Good Product and higher Price will undoubtedly make the Market and Community prosperous again. But the quality of the Community also affects Product and Price. Therefore, NEM Group may balance the coordination and development of these four parts, which will be a huge challenge.

If you study the encryption market, you will find an interesting thing. At this stage, in fact, Dapp or Blockchain Application is based on benefits, not technology. The original driving force for DAPP and Blockchain Application’s development is benefit, not technology. What is a good technology in the encryption market? The technology with profit is the “good” technology.

This is the opposite of the enterprise market. In the enterprise market, the technology that can solve the problems of enterprise users is a good technology.

Therefore, in the face of different markets, we should choose different strategies, price is more important than technology, or not, although sometimes we can’t agree or accept them.

1 Like

Coins located on the wallet NBKXLNQ2GKTLQBTXNFOHULNJDA7T2Q57CZGQ2TFP will be spent on these purposes? If so, why is this decision not agreed with members of the nem community?
The nem manual gives the right to choose the name symbol, but does not give the right to decide where to spend these moments. Maybe most of the community is against.

@Investor
Regarding leaving the top 30: That may be your personal prediction. I neither share it, nor do I think it helps anybody to phrase this prediction as fact. Maybe you want to think about that.

Regarding funding, read here: NEM Ecosystem Funding

Then maybe we could start learning Esperanto all together! :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @DaveH.
How much did you get paid for this job?
Who is paying you?
Was your job like this?

There will be no reinvigoration of the community unless the symbol is launched.
Once it is launched, it will naturally be activated.

3 Likes

As weird as this will sound … I originate from a small town in Belgium that is actually the only to have ever installed Esperanto as their main language. :smiley: years back, of course… when this town was requesting its independency…
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Moresnet

Let’s go with esperanto xD

7 Likes

Hi, so how I could get my Telegram bans ended?

1 Like

Part of the purpose of this post was to start exactly this discussion. There needs to be a conversation (a respectful one) by the community to say this is something that is wanted.

My personal view is that there should be a route back to the telegram groups for people who have been banned, providing it can be done manually and people are prepared to move forward from the issues of the past, agree to behave respectfully on both sides etc.

One idea might be to put up a google form to allow collection of this data that the admins can review and speak to the individuals concerned, explain the type of behaviour that is needed to avoid future bans and move forward. Clearly there are a lot of spambots etc in the banned user accounts list so we wouldnt want to unban every account en-masse, but I would have thought that type of process might work.

It would be great to hear both sides of this issue because it is important to try and work out how to move forward in a healthy way.

NGL will not try to control, mandate, instruct etc that bans be removed or kept, but we are happy to help co-ordinate the process to try and facilitate a route back

2 Likes

IMO Amnesty period would be needed to regain and attract old NEM-followers.

2 Likes

Congratulations. Coin nem flew out of the TOP 30.
This is the success of the nem team.