NEM Ecosystem - Symbol Launch Plan

I still like XEM, but it really makes me feel helpless.

4 Likes

This is the last chance I’m giving xem/ symbol. If this isn’t working by December, I’ll sell all my xem and forget about it forever. It’s been many times while we’ve been faithful in the community and it seems that it’s not serious anymore. It takes months to gain trust but only seconds to lose it. Lies and delays can no longer be trusted.

6 Likes

Promising development.

LONG XEM!

1 Like

NEM is good, just screwed up …

Although I agree that quality is important, it may not take a long time to test. Many public chains have various problems and bugs, but it do not affect their price rise and popularity.

1 Like

This is the time to support the team. If the software is not ready for mainnet, the last thing we want to do is to push the release. The new infrastructure must provide uncompromising security and trust to create value, otherwise there is no point in having it. Distracting the devs will not help either.

6 Likes

It’s standard development practice. Ethereum do the same thing.

3 Likes

Yes, you are right.But we are not Ethereum. We are NEM and face our own problems. We should make adjustments according to our own problems, not just follow standards or other chains.

2 Likes

from Q3 2019 to maybe Q4 2020.

Thanks Alex for destroying 1 whole year of NEM :slight_smile:

2 possible reasons for this (very big) delay:

1. Alex and her friends are uncompetent so they thought they could finish in 2019 despite it was impossible
  2. Alex and her friends did nothing so far except sueing / banning people and speaking good useless words.

I can imagine all those useless suckpuppets coming to say “OMG YOU TROLL, ALEX AND NF ARE THE BEST OMG” :slight_smile:

PS: Thanks David for your job, at least we can trust a competent person to lead NEM now :slight_smile:

I hope David will bulldoze all this by firing many useless people

4 Likes

roadmap is ok

what i miss is a clear statement that the already by poi confirmed xym tokenomics proposal is still the way it will be even after leadership change

for me tokenomics and that there wont be a ninjachange is the most important part

please confirm

2 Likes

Experienced people left, and inexperienced people stayed. Eventually leading to problems and delays

2 Likes

There’s no reason for this to be removed. The foundation has not done what they promised. If you make promises, you gotta be able to handle it when people are pissed that you broke them. The idea being, you shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep.

8 Likes

what about independent audit of NF?

1 Like
  • Core development work: It is very easy to underestimate development work, even by the most experienced or the highest qualified developers. In the case the forecasted development work would take less time, I would suggest to put extra effort into quality characteristics of the code, such as oo design, maintainability, refactoring and documentation. In the long term this can be expected to be of added value for an open source project.
  • Testing: I hope as many as possible members of the remaining community will be willing to participate in setting up testnet nodes and testing of releases 0.9.5 and ultimately 1.0. Up-to-date quality documentation together with clear instructions and guidelines for community members could facilitate this. Preparing that might take considerable time. Reducing the planned time for testing is not a good idea. The planned Rework phase could be very usefull as well.
  • Japanese regulatory process: Looking at the accounts of some Japanese exchanges, the Japanese market is still very important for NEM, and as it is recommended to spend as much effort as possible into getting important exchanges on board before the launch, specific focus on the Japanase regulatory process is justified.

After the history of the last years, little support of the remaining community for the new team or the project plan could have been expected. It should not be taken as a disapointment.
I like both the new team and the carefully constructed plan. Confidence and reputation needs to be earned. And the community can be expected to turn around as the provided timing is respected, deadlines are reached with success and when the exchange rate will finally bottom-out and start rising again.
So please, can you all make sure you do everything in your ability to stick to the plan?
Thank you for your efforts.

5 Likes

What about audit, which promised us Alexandra at the beginning of !!! MARCH.
And what about project list on NEM blockchain, which promised us Lewis on the !!! second half of January.
I’m very disssapointed about it. Especially because of they promised it, and then, when people asked them about their promises, they switch on real ignore.

3 Likes

Picking up a few subjects in one post. Great to see engagement and considered conversations from people on here, telegram and twitter.

@thilon

We lost a lot of players who love NEM.

We are looking at way to help reverse/resolve this issue at present, give us 2-3 weeks and there will be a community re-engagement plan, including healing rifts. We will also be looking to actively attract new members as well which is another part of the work. Target date for this strategy was 10th May and its still on track.

If the XEM price does not go up, NEM will not have enough participants, and there will not be enough test nodes for the Symbol test network

This is something we will keep an eye on as we run up to the formal version 1.0 testnet launch. With some luck the community re-engagement work will assist with this and it is certainly something that is on rader to mitigate :+1:

Although I agree that quality is important, it may not take a long time to test

The 3 month test period is something that has been a recommendation since mid 2019, it is agreed with the QA team and the Core Devs. At this stage we do not think it is wise to alter it given the amount of work being undertaken, but if that changes or people have other ideas for how to approach it, it would be great to get his discussion going on a separate thread to capture the details.

@cryptonit

what i miss is a clear statement that the already by poi confirmed xym tokenomics proposal is still the way it will be even after leadership change

Please accept this post as a clear statement that the PoI decision on Tokenomics is still the plan, there are also three people on the board that were involved in writing it (Iain, Jeff and myself) so we have intimate knowledge of it there are no plans to alter this direction. There will be a need to tweak the models slightly as it was working off a Q2 launch when done, but it will updating the rate of distribution not changing anything.

@corporal_clegg @issou

There’s no reason for this to be removed

This was not flagged or removed by any of the NGL team. I have asked for what has happened and will suggest it be reinstated. I agree, in order to heal rifts and focus on the future as a community, it is important that both supportive and critical statements be heard.

@M_J_Gol1 & @arroganz_93

what about independent audit of NF?

If we can try and keep this post about the launch plan and looking forward that would be helpful so as to not cross subjects in various threads. This is the subject of another forum thread already. No issue with it being discussed, it is just easier to try and segment conversations so they are easier to follow :+1:

@garp
These are all great points and we agree. Specifically on the testing, it is an area we know needs some focus as early as possible. We will be trying to work it into the community re-engagement work as well.

@arroganz_93
Edited to include your points - we crossed posts I think.

And what about project list on NEM blockchain, which promised us Lewis on the !!! second half of December.

This is included in the work to move various partnerships, NDAs, Contracts etc from NF to NEM Group. A stock take is required as part of that and various preparatory work has occurred already by NF over the past few months. It will take a few weeks to get everything together and in a format to communicate but it is being worked on. Lewis hasn’t worked for NF since late Jan, as we said in one of the AMAs from Japanese community, not sure why it wasn’t communicated but confirming it here.

Thank you everyone for the largely positive feedback, even with a date that is not to everyone’s liking. It is good to have a plan that we can all pull behind now and also be accountable to. I hope this caught most of the points, if I missed anything please ping me on it.

11 Likes

Dear @davidshaw,

First, thanks and congrats to the team for having respected your deadline. At least it gives a good start.

As you’ve seen in responses, lots of people around here are disillusioned. Those that have been around for years have had high hopes due to NEM providing unique features. But then came a series of disillusions… A rewrite from scratch just when NEM was doing well, leading to stagnating usage, only reinforced by delays upon delays. Questionable community building approach. Suboptimal organisation with Nem Foundation, Nem Ventures, etc…

I hope people in charge will manage to fix the problems of NEM. That will require earning back trust from what’s left of the community, which will take time. Personally I think, as I posted here, it requires another approach to community building: being transparent, inclusive, responsive. I hope your community re-engagement initiative will go in that direction!

It’s good to see some actual dates announced, but it’s still too early for me to be enthusiastic again. I share the sentiment that this is NEM’s last chance. I really hope the new team will deliver and turn around things though! That way, maybe I’ll be enthusiastic again regarding the future of NEM and Symbol.

I wish you and the team best of luck.

15 Likes

@davidshaw maybe it seems irrelevant to this topic but i think NF suffered from lack of content marketing. i think NEM Foundation needs a Chief Content Officer and NF must work on it to make strong relationship with people around the globe. never understimate the power of Content and content marketing because we live in the age of content and as the bill gates said: Content is King and i add this to bill’s qoute that Also distribution of content is so important. concentration on codes and making great and unique codes without content and content marketing is lame.

5 Likes

Extremely apprehensive give NEM’s inability to hit a single deadline its entire lifetime.

2 Likes