NEM Group and creating balance 15/10/20

It’s been interesting to read some of the posts and debate on different platforms over the past 24 hours. I wanted to set out my position on what I’ve read. What’s also been interesting to read is the tendency for the debate to go in a particular direction or tone very quickly. Social platforms have many upsides but they can also spiral quickly. I believe we all have a responsibility to behave with respect toward each other, to assume good intent and before we press the post button reflect on what we are really trying to achieve with our communication. Raising issues, debating, having differences is all good but how we have those conversations is equally important.

I guess the first thing to say is that I won’t comment on individual cases. Dealing with hiring, redundancy, dismissals or resignations is always sensitive and in my view best managed with the individuals concerned. I’m sure you would agree that talking about individuals and their employment or performance isn’t something for a public debate. If you think I should then I would be interested to understand the thinking behind it. I also wonder if any of us found ourselves in that position wether a public debate would sit comfortably.

What I would say though is the that we make our people decisions based on how they perform, the amount of work we have to get through and the cultural fit. It’s no surprise to me that as we transition from one way of working under the old structure to a new way of working under NEM Group there is inevitably change. And that change isn’t for everyone or indeed not everyone will make the transition. What we have been doing is adding new skills and people to the project especially in the technical team - 7 new joiners in the last 8 weeks alone.

Trying to build a successful project that stays true to its roots but also adds professionalism, delivery and accountability into the mix isn’t easy. Our intent is to try and find the right balance. We now have symbol test net up and running, optin launched and more confidence about our ability to deliver.

We need to do better on communications and I think that issue falls down to me to fix. I’ve tried to not make the project about any one personality and focus everyone on delivery. On balance I have probably swung too far towards being in the background. You’ll see and hear more from me as the project progresses.

14 Likes

Personnel problems are your problem. We want to see improvements as soon as possible to get the product (desktop wallet) working properly. That’s all. The testnet is already working. But we can’t test it enough. Thank you.

2 Likes

" Dealing with hiring, redundancy, dismissals or resignations is always sensitive and in my view best managed with the individuals concerned."

Correct, … these are things that you have to clarify with the people concerned in advance.
But new hires in the area of managers are something else.
I couldn’t read anything about it here in the forum, sry. Nevertheless, other personnel changes should also be announced at the end.

“I’m sure you would agree that talking about individuals and their employment or performance isn’t something for a public debate.”

That is not the point. The community has the right to be informed about personnel changes.

3 Likes

As usual trying to be politically correct about everything in public, but stinking in private matters.

You are running a company, you have some responsibilities: both as an employer for which you are paid for, and both as a person which is more a matter of choice and respect - and in my opinion you fell short specially in the second.

You talk about respect, we don’t feel like you gave any to us.

You say “dealing with certain cases is sensitive and best managed with the individuals concerned” - you (nor anyone) dealt with anything directly, you just ran away from it avoiding contact with us - one day we were working together, the other we didn’t exist.

You say having those conversations is important, you didn’t have any, neither did we because we weren’t given, or have been given the chance even though we pursued it.

Maybe you will end up understanding this, because some of the hires you boast about having achieved, are already considering their positions in the company after seeing how others were treated, whether it be technically justified or not. If you were as talkative and correct as you think you are, maybe those would talk more to you rather than to us.

That is not the point. The community has the right to be informed about personnel changes.

The community and the personnel itself. But I agree, transparency should be key. Being transparent just for the matters you are interested in, is not transparency, and this is the essence from the NGL management to my eyes.

Edited post to down the tone a little since I was advised by my previous contractor that I don’t want to get into any kind of legal issues from saying stuff I should not - everything here is still my opinion nevertheless.

1 Like