NEM Official Logo

@ARGpentem If you can think about it, that would be great. I think this is a hard question, but you are definitely capable of coming up with a good answer.

The point is, we should get to the meaning first, then we can discuss symbology and design. Start with the heart and the body will follow. What I want to do is to help Loi get to the heart. Then he can do the rest as he is a professional :D

I don't like this. You should let things unfold naturally over a due course. Having an official interpretation of NEM is the polar opposite of decentralization. To me  "A new economy starts with you" is a good concept and could be the underlying message for NEM.

@ARGpentem I didn't ask what the official interpretation of NEM should be. I asked how you would personally explain NEM to your mother.

@ARGpentem I didn't ask what the official interpretation of NEM should be. I asked how you would personally explain NEM to your mother.

I prefer to think in abstract terms. If you want a good story, I am the wrong person to ask. To be honest i found the question uninteresting.

@ARGpentem If you can think about it, that would be great. I think this is a hard question, but you are definitely capable of coming up with a good answer.

The point is, we should get to the meaning first, then we can discuss symbology and design. Start with the heart and the body will follow. What I want to do is to help Loi get to the heart. Then he can do the rest as he is a professional :D

I don't like this. You should let things unfold naturally over a due course. Having an official interpretation of NEM is the polar opposite of decentralization. To me  "A new economy starts with you" is a good concept and could be the underlying message for NEM.

How is it that a circular or a cubic logo makes one think that "A new economy starts with you"?  Doesn't it need some interpretation and therefore, as you put it, the opposite of decentralization?

If we want to make it abstract, then even an abstract idea like a stone can suffice. My opinion still is that this is all very subjective. We should just put all these to vote lest this whole thing will get emotional and messy.

??? Tomoe logo is now displayed on coinmarketcap

Edit:
Sorry guys, my main problem is that i can't get behind the decison process. I favour a different logo, but that is not the point here. I am just wondering why the Tomoe logo is actively pushed although the majority of the community is not convinced. I would stay quiet if most of the people prefer the Tomoe and the community found consensus but it seems to me it is currently not the case here.

Instead of living the "…starts with you" spirit i feel like "will be enforced to you" atm.
I hope that there will be a vote for the final logo and the people who are working on a proposal are not influenced by those who are pushing the Tomoe.
Otherwise i would expect a Tomoe with slightly differnt colors and borders as the final proposal.

"…sometimes things just need to be pushed"
Well, this may apply for complex decisions where it would be to difficult and time intense to explain it to everybody in the community, but where is the problem to ask "Do you like the logo?" before announcing it?

We all want our best for NEM, i hope we can do better for the final logo decision.

@owon: The current logo is for interim use to give us a consistent public image. Before different sites used different designs for NEM and this logo was the main design:

None of the current logo designs are really where we need to be, which is why the logo committee never reached consensus. Once we get something really great from Loi or someone else, then the community will vote for that design (including the current logos as well, so everyone will have a choice).

In the interim, it is important to have a consistent public appearance.

@owon: The current logo is for interim use to give us a consistent public image. Before different sites used different designs for NEM and this logo was the main design:

None of the current logo designs are really where we need to be, which is why the logo committee never reached consensus. Once we get something really great from Loi or someone else, then the community will vote for that design (including the current logos as well, so everyone will have a choice).

In the interim, it is important to have a consistent public appearance.

I agree with owon 100% that I am concerned more about the decision making process than the final chosen logo. I will be happy with any logo chosen by the community in a transparent and democratic manner.

The question is why multiple other logos were not in the discussion, notably the cube by Loi, the abstract NEM by gvan ? You could have shown the community 3-5 logos and ask for an opinion or a vote in a few days. That would be fairer to the designers and to the community. 

That should have applied for an interim official logo as well. So far the way the tome was announced was similar to the way an interim president is installed without any public debate or voting.

@Argpentem: The final logo will be chosen by the community.

Post-V1 launch, decentralized governance is going to be very important. We have been discussing various ideas and I am sure you saw Spaw's post about voting.

Rather than voting on forums, though, I think we can use NEM's messaging system for secure and open voting. That way sock puppets or people who have no stake in NEM won't be able to vote. Once a system like that is in place, the decision making process will be open and decentralized.

Hi makoto,

thanks for your feedback.
Although i am not satisfied with the election process i agree that it's important to have a common public image.

Your discussions and plans about a NEM client integrated voting sounds promising but it might be a little to late for a logo vote if the stakes are already distributed. The community should have a chance to decide about the final logo! Only if everybody feels as a part of NEM we would be able to fully support the movement.

Hi makoto,

Although i am not satisfied with the election process i agree that it's important to have a common public image.

Your discussions and plans about a NEM client integrated voting sounds promising but it might be a little to late for a logo vote if the stakes are already distributed. The community should have a chance to decide about the final logo! Only if everybody feels as a part of NEM we would be able to fully support the movement.

I totally agree with you. If we were to go back in time, we would definitely have asked the community, even if it is just an interim logo. From now on we are definitely going to involve the community more in decisions like this.

Post-V1, the community needs to be able to stand on its own and run things. In the coming weeks, we will come up with some specific ideas (like secure voting using the NEM messaging system) and try to discuss with everyone what a good organizational structure will be (but this thread is not really the place to discuss governance...).

In short: I agree that we should have involved the community more in cleaning up our public image, even if this is just temporary. We'll try to do a better job from here, but also remember that NEM is about equality of opportunity; anyone can work and help to create/promote NEM, and your ideas will be heard (mostly coordination is done on https://trello.com/b/GEWEPSZJ/nem-promotion).

Specific to owon, thank you for your contributions so far. The address generator is great and helped us to find an important bug!

Hi makoto,

I totally agree with you. If we were to go back in time, we would definitely have asked the community, even if it is just an interim logo. From now on we are definitely going to involve the community more in decisions like this.

Post-V1, the community needs to be able to stand on its own and run things. In the coming weeks, we will come up with some specific ideas (like secure voting using the NEM messaging system) and try to discuss with everyone what a good organizational structure will be (but this thread is not really the place to discuss governance...).

In short: I agree that we should have involved the community more in cleaning up our public image, even if this is just temporary. We'll try to do a better job from here, but also remember that NEM is about equality of opportunity; anyone can work and help to create/promote NEM, and your ideas will be heard (mostly coordination is done on https://trello.com/b/GEWEPSZJ/nem-promotion).

Specific to owon, thank you for your contributions so far. The address generator is great and helped us to find an important bug!

I believe if you look at the history of our logo saga, there was much discussion on the logo. It is not fair to say that there was no community engagement.

People will always throng in at the last minute to say that the community "was never involved", simply because they were never involved earlier on.

Let's put this to rest with a final vote in the coming weeks and work on the movement, going forward.

Thanks for taking the initiative to try to conclude the logo earlier when no one else was able to help conclude it, not even the community, and conclude we had to!

Not to add fuel to the fire but there already was a NEM  interim logo in place (look in the NCC).

Not really. The logo committee of about 10 people never reached consensus and didn't agree to use that logo. That is why it was used in NCC but not on the official thread or elsewhere. UP's original logo was still in use until recently.

I like the logo a little more once I see it combined with the NEM flat text in place of the little box. It is growing on me more. A LITTLE more.

Just a quick update: Loi is working on coming up with a symbol for NEM still. We can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Regarding tomoe, it is a spatial primitive, like a circle, square, triangle, etc. It has been used for thousands of years across many countries. I think rather than this being a bad thing, it shows the connection between tomoe and the human psyche. When used in context, people will associate it with NEM, if we choose to use that as our symbol. Nothing has been decided yet, though.

Just a quick update: Loi is working on coming up with a symbol for NEM still. We can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Regarding tomoe, it is a spatial primitive, like a circle, square, triangle, etc. It has been used for thousands of years across many countries. I think rather than this being a bad thing, it shows the connection between tomoe and the human psyche. When used in context, people will associate it with NEM, if we choose to use that as our symbol. Nothing has been decided yet, though.

Makoto, thanks for the "XEMmary". ;-)

Hopefully we will be posting some updates here later today it will be ready.

We are finally starting the discussion in preparation for the official logo vote: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.msg7999572#msg7999572

We are finally starting the discussion in preparation for the official logo vote: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.msg7999572#msg7999572

Hope we can come to conclusion by the first week of August!

Hi, I have made a new logo concept. Logo Idea/Concept

Your logo is perfect just need some modifications in colour combinations. Else everything seems good.