NIS1 & NEM Naming Convention

Totally agree - I think everyone was really excited around the Symbol launch but this seems to have fizzled out. There doesn’t seem to be anyone (apart from community members) promoting Symbol, mostly on Twitter. Both coins need promoting as is without a name change. Changing the name of an established brand is not going to help with awareness and will lead to further confusion as well as alienation of a large number of prominent community members.

There must be examples of successful launches of new blockchains - why can’t we learn from these and attract new users? Such a shame that all I seem to see on Telegram and a lot of Twitter comments are negative because of the events of the last few months.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining this in such detail to me. I appreciate it and can see your thought processes when coming to the conclusions that you reach. I’m just missing the final step, so please let me know if I misunderstand you.

If you would brand the NIS blockchain as “NEM”, what would you call our community and ecosystem (which includes the NEM blockchain and the Symbol blockchain)? If you would call that NEM as well, then we’re back to the same problem. Which is that the NEM ecosystem and the NIS blockchain both have the same NEM branding.

From what I can see, the quickest/cleanest way to fix this is to keep the NIS brand (removing the “1” since it is redundant) and rebrand the logo so it doesn’t look the same as the NEM ecosystem brand logo.

5 Likes

Man, why no one talks about that? And why NEM don’t have a page on WIKIPEDIA explaining its history? I never heard about this “New Economy Movement” before.

2 Likes

ZKPs are clearly established in the Symbol Roadmap.

If these POI polls are not valid, which ones are?

NEM - BlockChain Explorer
NEM - BlockChain Explorer

I haven’t heard anyone propose changing the ticker or pronunciation of XEM.

Seems these people would support empowering Symbol to better capitalize on the NEM brand recognition, rather than assigning NEM to a blockchain they lost interest in.

IDK where you got that idea. I don’t think anyone has suggested completely taking anything apart. The discussion is around rebrand of NIS so that NIS and Symbol, as siblings, can share the common parent brand. - NEM.

Yes. Symbol is NEM 2.0
The fact that there can be 2 of NEM demonstrates that NEM is not a single blockchain. So let’s help Symbol capitalize on that branding, instead of giving overwhelming NEM branding support to NIS1.

2 Likes

Maybe I have misunderstood the whole thing now but I have the feeling we are going around in circles. We have a problem with the naming or even the branding. So maybe let’s summarize the whole thing, i.e. what is the problem and what are our options:

NEM - NEM2
NEM - SYMBOL
NIS1 - SYMBOL
NIS - SYMBOL

and so on…

Personally, I think that the naming and logos of the two chains are too far apart, but that’s a personal opinion and I’ve introduced it often enough before. Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of the symbol name and its logo but that may just be a matter of taste.

2 Likes

And exactly this subliminal statement does not help either symbol or NEM. And I don’t mean NIS.
I don’t make something better by badmouthing everything that got me to this point.

2 Likes

simply put, the coka cola company is named after its first product. that’s why i used to say that a successful product becomes a brand, rarely the other way around. after that, fanta came out as a new product under the cola banner. a good example of how nem can be used as a name of the organization and as a project name at the same time…

2 Likes

Just look at CMC or hundreds of other places featuring XEM. NEM = XEM.
XEM is “the NEM Coin”
XEM uses the same logo and branding of NEM Group, NEM Software, NEM Forum, etc.

Does NEM = XEM?
Or is NEM the ether in which XEM, XYM, and future products are a part of?

Coke is a consumable product with sales driven by personal preference of that flavor.
The technology in carbonate beverages isn’t the primary factor in user choice.

I’m skeptical that demand for a version of software will continue to grow, regardless of technological innovation & competition - simply due to it’s flavor.

3 Likes
  1. I have the feeling that we are not really making progress and I have noticed that some people have opted out of the discussion. It should all be summarized again and brought to a decision.

2. You know the meaning of an illustrative example.

1 Like

That’s a great example. There are 2 reasons why I don’t think it is a good comparison here:

1. As you know, Coca Cola is still Coca Cola Limited’s flagship brand. Coke at no. 1. Fanta at no. 9 in popularity. Source: Top 10 Most Popular Soft Drinks (Sodas) Will NIS1 retain top spot in the future over Symbol? Nobody here thinks so, I believe. But keeping NEM branding for NIS1 makes it still look like the leading product to those new to NEM.

2. Coca Cola Limited doesn’t have the problem of people hearing about Coca Cola Limited in the media, and then accidentally buying Coca Cola when they meant to buy Fanta. That’s the problem here. New buyers hear something about NFTs from NEM (the ecosystem), go to an exchange, see the NEM brand used for XEM and buy the token. Only later do they realize they bought XEM instead of the XYM they actually wanted.

7 Likes

i think this model can often be observed in other economic fields. of course, one can always disagree - i respect that.

@DanJonBob

Hi,
Before discussing further here, perhaps we should first outline how the strategy for the future marketing looks like.
Thx

As a summary of all the posts I believe most are of the opinion here:
1- Keeping NEM as the parent company and NEM as the blockchain is no good
2- We need to push Symbol as the better Chain and most important chain of the NEM brand
I think we should start here. Either accept this intermediate result or if wanted get a POI vote out, but do it ASAP. Let’s get the ball rolling

My suggestion still stays:

• Keep NEM as the parent company without a logo, just NEM.
  • Keep Symbol/XYM as the most important chain and push it hard as the best project. The chain has launched, the name is set, no need to change it again so fast after launch. Just push it harder
  • Drop the NEM name of the chain but keep the logo. So it would become NIS/XEM for example, but it needs to be official so CMC and the likes can change it

Edit: Changed ‘there is a general unanimous opinion that’ to ‘most are of the opinion here’

1 Like

I think this are all wrong conclusions you made there.

I changed the ‘unanimous opinion’ as clearly you don’t follow this.

I went through all you replies here, but could not actually deduct your actual opinion. Maybe you can clearly state what you think should change, and to what it should change.

One of your posts mentions
keeping NEM as the umbrella company, and nem chain needed a new name? Isn’t that what I was saying?

Hi, marketing has a really huge impact on brand performance and productivity, so analyze your target audience and focus on what your client likes.

1 Like

hi, lets brake down what i would like to see since you asked.

first let me get some quotes:

so how exactly did you come to this conclusion?

personally, i stick with nem and nem 2 +a project name like symbol or catapult.

Otherwise we should stay with NIS1 or NIS and SYMBOL. i hope that explains my position for you.

NEM Naming Convention recap

There has been a useful discussion about this topic on the thread, with much input. This post is a collation of the discussion and some of the suggestions, with the aim of outlining possible options for a way forward.

NEM is a very deep rooted brand and one we are committed to building. Today, NEM has two primary protocols: Symbol and NIS1. Additional products will be available in the future.

It appears that the most pragmatic solution presented thus far, is to implement change to the NEM NIS1 name and to add a NEM prefix to both protocol brands.

Whichever option is adopted, the feedback is clear that the focus going forward must be on simplicity and clarity, enabling easy navigation for everyone in our community to find what they need within the NEM ecosystem and for the two blockchains to thrive both independently and as part of the NEM ecosystem.

The Challenge

We have three brand components in our ecosystem, two of which use the same name.

NEM (the ecosystem), NEM (the NIS1 blockchain), and Symbol. There is a need to create brand clarity between ecosystem parts and protocols.

A quick recap of the problem we are trying to solve.
People outside the community see NEM as a blockchain, not an ecosystem. For many new people NEM = XEM.
People searching for NEM need to understand that both Symbol and NIS1 exist within the NEM ecosystem.
Using NEM more clearly as part of the 2 protocol names would help support and build the NEM brand and provide clarity on the fact that NEM has 2 blockchains.
There is clearly a need and desire to find the most straightforward approach and come to a timely decision.

It is clear that we must focus on building the Symbol brand as a priority.

Some of the practical suggested ideas include

NEM is the ecosystem brand and therefore the priority long term for brand building. We therefore should use NEM as a prefix wherever possible to bring coherence and brand awareness.

Symbol and NIS1 are protocol brands. A solution to the naming convention challenge is to prefix both protocol brands with NEM. This would bring coherence and alignment.
In this case, the Symbol name would evolve to NEM Symbol. For the V1 chain this would be called NEM NIS1. The difference with NIS1 is what to call the protocol.

Suggestions include No change (NIS1), Classic, NIS, V1, Original, XEM and a ‘new name’.

Consolidating and putting these options to a vote appears to be the appropriate next step, noting there is a minor challenge that voting only exists on NEM NIS1 right now, we will have a look at how to solve that shortly.

Websites - the official website names would align to fit.

Official social media platforms For Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Facebook, Reddit we should continue with NEM official to enable all aspects of content and communication for the ecosystem. (for clarity these will include both Symbol and NIS1 content).

For Community Telegram the Symbol and NEM (English) channels are being consolidated with redefined purpose, as recommended by the admin groups and supported by NEM Group.
Upon clarity of branding, separate community channels that are token specific can be explored.

In summary, what the above NEM naming convention could look like;

Ecosystem Brand; NEM

NEM Protocol brands; NEM Symbol & NEM (name*) (*subject to vote)

Tickers; XYM & XEM

Website addresses; NEM - nem.io
NEM Symbol - nemsymbol.io
NEM (name) - nem(name).io

Social channels;
NEMofficial (twitter)
Nem.io (instagram)
NEM(Facebook)
NEM (linkedin)
NEM (Reddit)
NEM Forum
NEMHub

CommunityTg Groups;
NEM Official (Symbol & NIS1) - @nemred
NEM Casual (Symbol & NIS1) - @nemberia
NEM Trading (Symbol & NIS1) - @nemtraders

This approach could provide clarity and simplicity for the ecosystem. If something like this approach was decided on, we would then work through all internal and external applications to apply this approach. For clarity, external applications include exchanges, hardware wallets and relevant pages on their sites etc.

The discussion thread is open until EOP today. After this we will consolidate and agree a way forward. It would be interesting to hear further comments and input on the above to help resolve the name challenge. A community vote will then be organised to make the final decision.

JAPANESE

7 Likes

So it doesnt change anything since for 99% of people in crypto: NEM = XEM

The most important is the ticker. If the ticker stay as “XEM”. People will see XEM as “the NEM Token”

They will buy XEM when they see a NEM news or partnership.
Only because people will see the NEM News on social media and think “oohh, thats a NEM news, so it is XEM token right ? Ok i’ll buy it” and since the ticker is the same, they will just buy XEM and wont realize that there is a new token.

If the ticker change into “NIS”, they wont see “XEM” anymore (For exemple, they wont get any result if they type XEM on the binance search bar) so they will have to make research about “What is the token of NEM ??” and finally see that there are 2 chains (and XYM is the newest and the one you will build partnership on)

2 mosts importants things:

• Change the NEM logo (It’s incredible that people in NEM didnt understand for that long that having the XEM logo on the NEM Twitter and social media is really bad for XYM Marketing)

• Change XEM ticker (people dont care about changing XEM name if you dont change the ticker. The most important is the TICKER. When they check on CMC or exchange, people read “XEM”, they dont lose time reading all the name (Like people reading XLM instead of Stellar Lumens)

Hello, it seems to me that you need to develop and stick to a marketing plan along one chain. The fact that “NIS” and “NIS1” now mean the same thing and refer to the same code will make work more difficult.