NIS1 & NEM Naming Convention

I agree NEM must be used as the parent company as so many other names refer to NEM…NEM Ventures etc…we ARE in a New Economy Movement and the name becomes more relevent the bigger we become.

NIS from Nem and SYMBOL from Nem should both be used

1. NIS (forget the 1) has been around for ages and nobody really knows what it stands for and thats fine…people will recognise better the much improved product that is SYMBOL
  2. Both blockchains are from Nem…
    3.Capitalise the blockchain names but not the parent company.
  3. Keep the token names for each blockchain

Calling Symbol “Symbol by NEM” is a step backward in my opinion. It is for a couple of reasons.

1. It causes unnecessary confusion for both newcomers and seasoned vets alike. Newcomers joining the community and interested in Symbol now have to understand the history of NEM, how Symbol derived from NEM and thus why it’s called Symbol by NEM. This is confusing. This is unnecessary.

2. NEM is antiquated technology. We’ve been told for the past 3 years that Symbol was far superior technology. So why are we clinging on to an outdated brand. Now, if we want to call Symbol NEM2.0 to hold onto the initial NEM branding that is an argument to be had. But we don’t. The rebranding served multiple functions. First, it provided a sense of professionalism that NEM’s liberal New Economy Movement and Bitcoin Forum origins cannot provide. Second, rebranding helped us distance ourselves from mistakes of the past (NEM foundation bickering, Exchange hacks and our anonymous founder UtopianFuture’s burner accounts). And yes, I know the exchange hack was no fault of NEM’s but it remains a stain on it’s name to this day.

Microsoft doesn’t say ‘Windows 10 by Windows 95’. It would be one thing if Symbol was an update to NIS1 and not a new piece of software all together.

But in my opinion, we are creating unneeded hurdles for anyone new to Symbol. Symbol is unique. Symbol is better. Don’t muddy the brand by complicating to others. And maybe even more importantly, the NEM team should devote most if not all resources and time to Symbol over NEM. Why waste time or money on, again, we’ve been told over and over, and outdated piece of tech. Good piece of tech, 100% up time piece of tech but outdated nonetheless.

1 Like

The confusion and naming nomenclature seems mute to me. I see it this way: NEM = XEM + XYM. The New Economy Movement (NEM Group) has two blockchains and two coins, XEM and XYM. There is nothing confusing about it to me.

Just get rid of the NIS1 thing whatever that is. I have never been quite sure what NIS1 is within the naming standards.

2 Likes

sorry if I intervene

The problem is marketing

for example: on reddit there is no good talk about nem (xym xem) beyond the project

I definitely don’t agree with changing the ticker name.
It would ruin the continuity of the chart.
I believe that the past price movements are the history that nis1 has built up over the years, and I can’t stand the thought of losing that.

And suppose a newcomer sees NEM news and partners.
From now on, when you search for ‘‘NEM’’ on coinmarketcap or any exchange, if you get two kinds of results, NEM Symbol and NEM (name), it’s fine, right?

I think DanJonBob summed it up nicely!

2 Likes

I generally think that “NEM” or the “New Economy Movement” can be a house name or brand name with many products under that name and even companies too.

To me it is like “Star Wars”. Yes, the first movie is really called Star Wars: A New Hope, but when it first came out, people only called it “Star Wars” and the “New Hope” tag wasn’t really used anywhere on any marketing materials or when people talked. It wasn’t until later on that there were additional movies that the name “A New Hope” caught on. Now there are Star Wars TV shows, books, movies, and games but they are still “Star Wars”.

I think in the future, we could have other “NEM” branded products. Like a lightning network that works interchangeably with both NIS1 and Symbol to connect them in layer 2. Or a DID product on a private side chain of Symbol utilizing 0 knowledge proofs. Or whatever, I don’t know (and I just made up those examples so don’t get excited). But it would be nice to me that IF we went from 2 products in this house to more than 2, to keep the name “NEM” associated with them even if they do have a different name people commonly call them. I think it will make each product stronger, just like anything “Star Wars” is automatically a success the moment it is associated with that original Star Wars movie.

To me the confusing part is really having on a name for the original NEM chain that everyone could agree on to make this concept stick. Does it get a tag like “A New Hope” in the way of “NIS1” or “XEM”? Or we just leave it “NEM”?

I think this is a great community discussion.

8 Likes

‘New Economy Movement’.
If it is realized, we are fine with it.
As long as the concept survives for future generations, we are fine with it.
Whatever the name, can we do it?

1 Like

10 Likes

Hi, I’m newbie and have a Symbol node
but let me participate this conversation (my English not good).

Change the name is good discussion before marketing, branding, it’s important thing.

Tought how this subject came about NGL decide the name SYMBOL in a harry,
so if change the name it should be focus on Symbol, not NIS1.

I agree those idea
→ NEMoriginal / NEMsymbol
→ NEM1 / NEM2

easy to understand that symbol is upgrade version of NEM to newbe :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m very convinced that opinion above.

4 Likes

NEM1 / NEM2 is not bad. Many brands do this (Sony with their playstation, Apple with their phone…) and it is easy for the customer to understand witch one is the lastest (and it gives strong credibility in the NEM BRAND)

But since Symbol has already be marketed everywhere, I guess they can’t change…

1 Like

I suppose you must be laughing yourself.
No, the mistake was and is to make NIS(1) and Symbol dependent on each other in marketing, but also in the community.
We have two blockchains here that can both easily find their place among the top 50.

2 Likes

Thank you for being here.

1 Like

Just keep NEM (XEM), less confusion. Don’t create more issue when we have more serious challenge in front of us.
Symbol by itself is fine.

NEM and Symbol’s main problem is not NIS or XEM, NEM or Symbol.

2 Likes

It’s been 1 year and half that Symbol has been announced (I think it was announced on January 2020)

So it’s been almost 2 years and nobody thought like "It can be very confusing for Symbol that our logo (The NEM logo that we can see everywhere, like social media and even on this forum) is the same than the XEM logo (So people think that NEM = XEM and wont understand what Symbol is) " ???

I mean, there are people paid for more than a year to do the marketing of NEM and they dont even understand that it is a problem ???

Can you explain me ?

1 Like

I said the problem is marketing😀
: I’m a beginner in cryptocurrencies but not in marketing :nerd_face:

I am inclined to agree with the critisisms aimed at NEMs marketing department.
Why on earth the name SYMBOL?

Surely a unique name (like NEM) should have been chosen instead - Ethereum/Cardano/Litecoin etc.
Instead, Symbol, a frequently used english word is selected.

Google ‘symbol’ and we all know this won’t display anything crypto.
Bad decision making imo.

However, this far in, I am not sure how useful/damaging changing names now would be?
I guess Ripple and Nano did this - and seemed to benefit?

Honestly if the people in charge think re-naming Symbol would get more attention/clarity/higher profile, then they should cut their losses and go for it.

If it is too late, then we need to move on.

Some people say, “Give the customers what they want.” But that’s not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they’re going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, “If I’d asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, ‘A faster horse!’” People don’t know what they want until you show it to them. That’s why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.

Steve Jobs :smiley:

let me refresh everyone’s memory on how this came about. it’s also helpful to just search the forum under catapult branding. I want to avoid wasting any more time. This conversation has already been had, we were only allowed to vote on ticker. Parts of the current leadership were already there then.

2 Likes

The marketing team or the person in charge is already completely changed ? the confusion is because of the failure of markting of “symbol”.

NEM Core group is almost non-existent, none of them are known in Blockchain/Cryptocurrency industry. Having so much issue, but we have not seen any statement from NEM Core group. Kristy should be given bigger role, and everyone else should be out. (The Telegram group moderator have been doing a great job)

EDIT: Want to add Core Devs are great, and Devs are great, Telegram moderators are great, Kristy is great. But everyone else from the business, marketing side are almost non-existent at all. Big fail. and now We want NIS1 back, and confuse people out of Symbol?