Open sourcing the coin a mistake?

I brought this up to people investing in Xtrabytes. I think it’s smart not to release the full source code of a coin… if a coin is really good, like NEM, they’d be better off considering the code as part of their intellectual property, or a “trade secret” and give just enough code out to let people know it’s safe to use, but outside of that what good does it do releasing the full source code which lets people use it and make clone coins? Ripple went closed source and I think they were smart to do so, from a business and investment standpoint. How to you get a company to license the technology when they can simply copy the code and use it for themselves? I understand crypto has always been founded on the idea of open source but all big companies protect their confidential information that might constitute a trade secret. If they don’t, anyone can come along and take the information and use it for themselves. Is that smart for a corporation or entity seeking to protect it’s interests? Discussion is welcome.