Symbol Social Network - development thread

:wave: Hi folks!

The last time I contributed in NEM was around 2018… and after all this time, I’d this ongoing feeling to come back and build stuff with it. At least just for enjoying Symbol on some pet projects.

Indeed, during 2019 I tried to build a social network on top of Catapult (when it was still named that way :joy:), and somehow I “succeed”. A lot of tradeoffs to do back then, and the wallets weren’t complete enough to build a full solution.

Today, I aim to build the same project in a way that can be deployed into the Symbol Main Net. That’s why I started…

:tada::tada: https://symbolsocial.network :tada::tada:

Purpose

Design a full distributed social network on top of Symbol Blockchain to put the technology into its limits and share it as an example.

Scope

I will start by:

• Create a Post
  • Modify a Post
  • Comment a Post

Awards

• Give award (mosaic)
  • Give XYM

Do not expect a feature complete social network, it is about showing an approach on building on top of Symbol rather than building a product itself.

Cross-Functional Requirements

• Proper testing
  • No registration required
  • Consistency among instances
  • Multiple application nodes
  • Evolutionary Architecture
  • Continuous Deployment

Licensing

I’ll open source it so people can fork it and improve it if they want to.

More news incoming! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Welcome back dear :slight_smile:

Sounds like a lot of fun is coming!!!

I recently published Swapable, maybe we need chatables :smiley: - not sure if you would need anything similar, just hinting you to latest HD+QR+URI integrations :slight_smile:

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing some code there :()

:v:

EDIT: I just realized the gh-pages of the package above is broken, will be back soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

http://nemlog.nem.social/ :wink:

I’m aware of nemlog, but symbolsocial.network has a couple of key differences:

nemsocial.networks aims to be:

• Fully Distributed on top of Symbol (no registration required). The only approach to interact with the applications is via on-chain Transactions.
  • Deployed into IPFS
  • Example of how to build a fully distributed application on top of Symbol

nemsocial.networks DOESN’T aim to be:

• A social network feature complete. It will be a basic application
1 Like

Just wanted to make sure that you are aware of the project. Looking forward to your build and already subscribed to the mail list.

1 Like