Symbol testnet node setup issues

Hi,

I recently set up a Symbol testnet node on Google Cloud but I am having some issues and I am not sure how to fix them:

1. The chain height is stuck at 47369 - http://35.246.83.120:3000/chain/height
  1. When I initially set up the VM on Google Cloud I had a 30GB disk. I left it running overnight and when I came back I couldn’t SSH into it as the disk was full. I set up a new VM with a 1TB disk (overkill but I wanted to see what was going on) and installed the Symbol server and transferred the static IP back from server 1 before deleting the old VM.

After logging into the new VM I noticed that 100s of ~250Mb (if I remember correctly) were being written to disk which would have led to the previous problem of the disk filling up.

Has anyone got any ideas about how to fix the two problems? I guess problem 2 is probably linked to problem 1 and writing error logs due to the inability to sync.

Thanks

Simon

Hello. There is known problem with release 0.9.6.3, with next release 0.9.6.4 problem with syncing from scratch will be fixed.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been trying to work out what I was doing wrong. I will wait for the update…

0.9.6.4 released -> NEM Symbol 0.9.6.4 Release Announcement

2 Likes

Thanks - I saw it the other day and updated. All working fine now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello. I am trying to setup the latest symbol public test net node.
I’m following the documentation from

I have successfully installed

nodejs version 12.19.0
docker
docker-compose

i have now tried to install the Symbol bootstrap with

npm install -g symbol-bootstrap

but i’ve got some warnings:

user@server:~$ sudo npm install -g symbol-bootstrap
npm WARN deprecated js-joda@1.11.0: This package is deprecated, please check/use @js-joda/core instead
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated request-promise-native@1.0.9: request-promise-native has been deprecated because it extends the now deprecated request package, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated har-validator@5.1.5: this library is no longer supported
/usr/bin/symbol-bootstrap -> /usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-bootstrap/bin/run
+ symbol-bootstrap@0.1.1
added 230 packages from 220 contributors in 15.688s

Are this warnings something to worry about ?
Thanks.

These dependency deprecation warnings have been fixed in the next release of symbol-bootstrap (0.1.2).
You can check its alpha release if you want:

npm install -g symbol-bootstrap@alpha

Cheers!
Xavi

hello. thanks for help.
It’s seems that i’ am still getting this messages:

user@server:~$ sudo npm uninstall -g symbol-bootstrap
[sudo] password for user: 
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for user: 
removed 230 packages in 3.389s
user@server:~$ sudo npm install -g symbol-bootstrap@alpha
npm WARN deprecated request-promise-native@1.0.9: request-promise-native has been deprecated because it extends the now deprecated request package, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated js-joda@1.11.0: This package is deprecated, please check/use @js-joda/core instead
/usr/bin/symbol-bootstrap -> /usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-bootstrap/bin/run
+ symbol-bootstrap@0.1.2-alpha-202010071355
added 230 packages from 220 contributors in 21.548s
user@server:~$ symbol-bootstrap --help
Symbol tool that allows you creating, configuring and running Symbols networks

VERSION
  symbol-bootstrap/0.1.2-alpha-202010071355 linux-x64 node-v12.19.0

USAGE
  $ symbol-bootstrap [COMMAND]

COMMANDS
  clean      It removes the target folder deleting the generated configuration and data
  compose    It generates the `docker-compose.yml` file from the configured network.
  config     Command used to set up the configuration files and the nemesis block for the current network
  help       display help for symbol-bootstrap
  link       It announces VRF and Voting Link transactions to the network for each node with 'Peer' or 'Voting' roles. This command finalizes the node registration to an existing network.
  report     it generates reStructuredText (.rst) reports describing the configuration of each node.
  resetData  It removes the data keeping the generated configuration, certificates, keys and block 1.
  run        It boots the network via docker using the generated `docker-compose.yml` file and configuration. The config and compose methods/commands need to be called before this method. This is just a wrapper for the `docker-compose
             up` bash call.
  start      Single command that aggregates config, compose and run in one line!
  stop       It stops the docker-compose network if running (symbol-bootstrap started with --detached). This is just a wrapper for the `docker-compose down` bash call.

user@server:~$ 

Thanks for reporting this. Just to clarify, we have a fix done in Symbol-SDK already, but it hasn’t been released to Symbol-Bootstrap yet. It will be included in the next alpha / main scheduled release

Regarding the issue above I have anyway been able to run the public test net symbol node.

I have found similar issue while installing the symbol-cli tool.
Here is the output:

user@server:~$ sudo npm install --global symbol-cli
npm WARN deprecated @types/ora@3.2.0: This is a stub types definition. ora provides its own type definitions, so you do not need this installed.
/usr/bin/symbol-cli -> /usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-cli/bin/symbol-cli

> tiny-secp256k1@1.1.5 install /usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-cli/node_modules/tiny-secp256k1
> npm run build || echo "secp256k1 bindings compilation fail. Pure JS implementation will be used."

> tiny-secp256k1@1.1.5 build /usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-cli/node_modules/tiny-secp256k1
> node-gyp rebuild

gyp WARN EACCES current user ("nobody") does not have permission to access the dev dir "/home/user/.cache/node-gyp/12.19.0"
gyp WARN EACCES attempting to reinstall using temporary dev dir "/usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-cli/node_modules/tiny-secp256k1/.node-gyp"
gyp WARN install got an error, rolling back install
gyp WARN install got an error, rolling back install
gyp ERR! configure error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-cli/node_modules/tiny-secp256k1/.node-gyp'
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.15.0-118-generic
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /usr/lib/node_modules/symbol-cli/node_modules/tiny-secp256k1
gyp ERR! node -v v12.19.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok 
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! tiny-secp256k1@1.1.5 build: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR! 
npm ERR! Failed at the tiny-secp256k1@1.1.5 build script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/user/.npm/_logs/2020-10-10T14_09_17_582Z-debug.log
secp256k1 bindings compilation fail. Pure JS implementation will be used.
npm WARN eslint-config-prettier@6.12.0 requires a peer of eslint@>=3.14.1 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN eslint-plugin-prettier@3.1.4 requires a peer of eslint@>=5.0.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN eslint-plugin-prettier@3.1.4 requires a peer of prettier@>=1.13.0 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.
npm WARN symbol-sdk@0.21.0 requires a peer of utf8@^2.1.2 but none is installed. You must install peer dependencies yourself.

+ symbol-cli@0.22.0
added 261 packages from 211 contributors in 23.464s

I have been able to use the cli tool anyway for basic stuff like creating new profile.
I have not tested all the options yet.

Another small issue in the following documentation

is mentioned how to run the symbol node with:

symbol-bootstrap start -p testnet -a dual

I had to use sudo command to make it work so

sudo symbol-bootstrap start -p testnet -a dual

also the path mentioned in the documentation where the configuration .yml file is

target/config/generated-addresses/addresses.yml

but when running the symbol-bootstrap command from above it created the addresses.yml file
on the following path:

target/addresses.yml

I do not have the config folder maybe because I have not called

symbol-bootstrap config before.

This just for you to know in case you need to make changes to the documentation.
In case i find anything else i will report it here or in a new thread.

Regarding the path to addresses.yml, it has been changed in the next version of symbol-bootstrap that you are testing (The config folder no longer will exist). Once version 0.1.2 goes live and becomes the current version, the docs will be updated.

As a side note, the start command calls config, compose and run under the hood (that is explained in the Using Symbol Bootstrap guide you were following but might need emphasizing).

I’ll let somebody else look into the sudo problem. Thanks for reviewing the docs!

hello.

what would be the easiest way to update the symbol-bootstrap software on a running symbol node?
do i need to stop the symbol node and than uninstall symbol-bootstrap and download it again manually and install it i mean run the whole procedure manually again like described in the documentation?

also is there or it will be there an option in the symbol-bootstrap to update the symbol node?
something like “symbol-bootstrap --update-latest” or symbol-bootstrap --update2 x.x.xx ?
“x.x.xx” stands for version numbers like for example 0.1.13 ?