I finally got harvesting set up for my Symbol account, and here’s a couple of observations. Not sure if the final item is a bug, but the whole thing could certainly be improved for better user experience.
1) Choosing a node
This is something of a lottery - I attached to a couple of nodes who left me pending activation and never accepted. Eventually, after a few days waiting and after chewing through a few XYM in delegation fees trying different nodes, I eventually found one that activated immediately.
Each attempt to connect to a node costs XYM, and there is no way to know up front if a node is accepting harvesting connections. At least in the XEM ecosphere, you could see immediately if the node had slots free, and all nodes listed with slots would accept harvesting.
It would be more open and transparent if nodes signalled willingness to accept (and their rake if this is variable) when selecting from the list, so that users can make an informed choice and know they will be activated.
2) Harvesting status
Also something of a lottery - the documentation says that nodes can spoof acceptance and the only reliable indicator is actually earning blocks. That’s a pretty poor experience - especially in a world class blockchain where smart/aggregate transactions are an option.
Also, I have Symbol wallet set up on two machines - I connected to harvest via one and it shows active, but when I check in the other, it says “Harvesting status cannot be detected. Please select the node you are harvesting on.” … even after selecting the same node in the harvesting section.