Total number of coins, part 2

NEM as a new economy symbol, should be regulated and appears to be formal and serious.
Why don't we ignore the f**king Chinese tradition which even myself, a Chinese don't care a damn, and stick to the origin 4 plan?

What is your rationale against changing other than the number 4? Look at the grander scheme of things. Don't just look at the leaf in front of you. There is a forest out there. Don't believe is one thing. Not giving a damn is another. Respect is another.

Let's take it seriously.
People value the price of something most due to their previous experience.
They would compare this one to that one and any anchor they've got in the past.
Why is bitcoin so valuable? By setting its amount exactly same as the gold, the founder smartly set an anchor for all the people buy it. They would link bit coin to gold subconsciously, that's how it work and why it's so valuable.
:) ;D
If we really want to increase the total value of NEM, we shall first find an anchor for people to judge the value of NEM.
My suggestion is that we should set the amount of NEM to something of real value in the real world.
Gold is a good choose, yet it has been used by the very first coin bitcoin.
Diamond sounds more precious, the known diamond reserves is 2.5billion CT.
If we set the total supply to 2.5 billion, we may indicates that NEM should be as valuable as diamond.
As a conclusion, we may end up by getting a total supply of 2.5 billion.

Let's take it seriously.
Why is bitcoin so valuable? By setting its amount exactly same as the gold, the founder smartly set an anchor for all the people buy it. They would link bit coin to gold subconsciously, that's how it work and why it's so valuable.
If we really want to increase the total value of NEM, we shall first find an anchor for people to judge the value of NEM.
My suggestion is that we should set the amount of NEM to something of real value in the real world.
If we set the total supply to 2.5 billion, we may indicates that NEM should be as valuable as diamond.

I don't think bitcoin has its value because of gold. (And it doesn't have the value of gold...)

And I don't think we should set the total amout of NEM to something similar beause any values and any gold, silver or diamond amounts aren't fixed.

Let's take it seriously.

I don't think bitcoin has its value because of gold. (And it doesn't have the value of gold...)

And I don't think we should set the total amout of NEM to something similar beause any values and any gold, silver or diamond amounts aren't fixed.

I suggest you all should read this post too and challenge it till it is made more right (It is never wrong either as we are all guessing). https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2531.msg6776#msg6776

I suggest you all should read this post too and challenge it till it is made more right (It is never wrong either as we are all guessing). https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2531.msg6776#msg6776

Yup, I've read it and it does make sense!

Basically, somebody needs to figure out a real reason why the number of NEM = XXXXXX because if we dont, people won't take us seriously.  I like the 1 NEM for each person on Earth idea, but really we need somebody with a numbers back ground to figure this out.  Not just me googling "how much money there is in the world" and multiplying that by 8 billion. 

I really liked your idea about the 8 billion.  But take a look at: http://www.worldometers.info/world-population Currently the pop. is 7 billion

What is relevant is this: What kind people have NEM, how many people will use it and what will they buy? 

This could be a situation in the future
In 20 years, NEM is the primary currency of earth with a total number of 8 billion coins.

[li]In 20 years, I think we will have more then 10 billion people, so the 1 NEM for every citizen doesn't quite fit the shoe-lid[/li]
    [li]Price of peanut butter is something like 0,00001 NEM. So, how will we pronounce this? Or will we use milliNEM? I personally don't like that. [/li]

What is the purpose of NEM? Do I want to buy bread and groceries with it, or houses and cars? Both?
    Is there a long term plan?

What is the purpose of NEM? Do I want to buy bread and groceries with it, or houses and cars? Both?

I think the purpose of NEM in my view is just going to be a fuel for transactions in the long run. The gems of NEM will come from the AE which will drive the entire NEM ecosystem.

Look at it as a containment of the crypto ecosystem.

Up until now, most blockchains are flawed. PoW promotes mining gear concentration (centralization) and PoS promotes wealth concentration (centralization again).  NEM is neither and will remain hard to be monopolized. This will promote a robust and vibrant ecosystem.

Yup, I've read it and it does make sense!

Basically, somebody needs to figure out a real reason why the number of NEM = XXXXXX because if we dont, people won't take us seriously.  I like the 1 NEM for each person on Earth idea, but really we need somebody with a numbers back ground to figure this out.  Not just me googling "how much money there is in the world" and multiplying that by 8 billion. 

I really liked your idea about the 8 billion.  But take a look at: http://www.worldometers.info/world-population Currently the pop. is 7 billion

What is relevant is this: What kind people have NEM, how many people will use it and what will they buy? 

This could be a situation in the future
In 20 years, NEM is the primary currency of earth with a total number of 8 billion coins.

[li]In 20 years, I think we will have more then 10 billion people, so the 1 NEM for every citizen doesn't quite fit the shoe-lid[/li]
    [li]Price of peanut butter is something like 0,00001 NEM. So, how will we pronounce this? Or will we use milliNEM? I personally don't like that. [/li]

In 20 years NEM would have got new names for 0.01 NEM and 0.0001 NEM, etc. Or there could have been a change in the NEM money system: eg. 1 NEM is changed to 1000 NEM, kind of split like in stock shares. Nothing is changed in the values, only in the names.

The total number of coins means nothing IMO.  No one cares that there are 13.4M BTC in circulation. Catering to people that still believe in eating tiger penises and black rhino horns to improve virility seems like a complete waste of time.    ::slight_smile:

The total number of coins means nothing IMO.  No one cares that there are 13.4M BTC in circulation. Catering to people that still believe in eating tiger penises and black rhino horns to improve virility seems like a complete waste of time.    ::)

You forgot to mention, paws and bear bile, cats, dogs, snakes, human fetuses, artificial eggs, floating pigs on rivers, plastic milk and all those great hormones and steroids in feeds.

This means we need longevity and Chinese like 9 for that. 99 999 999 999 would be good.  ;)

43 pople voted  ::slight_smile:
Must be a really important topic for everyone. That's not even as much as the record for people beign online at the same time.

43 pople voted  ::)
Must be a really important topic for everyone. That's not even as much as the record for people beign online at the same time.

Yes not bad for an apathetic community. The vote for the flag was not much higher either. So, all is good. I believe we can then make a decision based on this.

Zoata and I have almost 2000 people following NEM on Facebook, but we are doing good to get over 10 likes on a post and really good to get over 20. 

Lots of people see it every time, sometimes over 500 views, so they know what is going on, they just don't act much. 

Zoata and I have almost 2000 people following NEM on Facebook, but we are doing good to get over 10 likes on a post and really good to get over 20. 

Lots of people see it every time, sometimes over 500 views, so they know what is going on, they just don't act much.

In other words, it is not that they don't know. They all know. And I believe they won't care either way. So, what really matters are the votes etched in here which will determine what we need to do next.

thats not the truth.

People not voting also means that they are not happy with the options
But i guess some people pretend to not see the obvious.

Or just twist reality to suit their needs/

Here's my take on it:

Seeing as there's only two choices to be made (And lets say, the total number of coins HAS to be changed) Im voting for 8 billion.

Why?

Well i'm seeing a shit storm from stakeholders when they first log into their NEM accounts and find they have less NEM's then what they redeemed thier stakes for. On the flipside - them having more then they originally thought each nemstake was worth is probably going to make some happy (even though in reality their circumstances havn't changed)

For this reason alone, out of the two choices on offer in this vote, i'm voting 8 billion. Although frankly i think i'd have prefered it kept to the original 4 in the first place just to avoid controversy. Either way, i'm not too fussed.

Just to add a voice to this, I think there are likely to be a lot of people feeling in the same position as myself, that don't feel massively qualified to weigh in on most matters being debated. My personal feeling was for 8 rather than 4, but I can't back that up with data or research. I have made it my duty though to introduce absolute newcomers to crypto to Bitcoin and to NEM, like a 'here is the original idea, and here is the 'New and Improved' with a view to spreading my stake if it feels like they might get into it at a deeper level.
This might not be the 'right' way to be viewing things, but its an honest response and one I think quite a lot of others might be feeling.

thats not the truth.

well ... THAT is not true.
You cannot say the truth about other people's opinions. If they are not happy with the options, they could write a post to this thread.

You just keep on twisting ...

thats not the truth.

+1
well ... THAT is not true.
You cannot say the truth about other people's opinions. If they are not happy with the options, they could write a post to this thread.

You just keep on twisting ...

Hey guys! How about 888 000 000 000 000 NEM on 888 000 000 000 people in future?
On russian, my post : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455591.msg9494046#msg9494046

This is a silly discussion. Now 10 months after NEMcoin ANN, and one month less from launch of our NEMcoin
you're starting with this silly discussion to change/not to change number of coins

Where have you been in past 10 month's???

from february, i was everyday on btt Nem topic till yesterday, because this NO
IMPORTANT (in this last stage) discussion is about 50% of posts. Please stop  >:( .

IMHO with this discussion ( too late ) you're not working in favor of NEM

To clean the number of coins threads please continue the conversation at https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2661.0