Tutorial for desktop wallet

Hi, I recently bought some XEM from Poloniex and want to move them off the exchange. Can someone help me with a tutorial on how to use the nano wallet.

Thanks!

Hello Harsh_Pokharna,
-Please visit https://www.nem.io/install.html and download the Nano wallet.
-Extract the file to your desktop(or somewhere else you like) and double click on the file “start.html”. -It’ll open a browser in your pc and fire up Nano wallet.
-After this click on the “Signup” option in the top right hand corner.
-Choose “Simple wallet” and fill in all the details.
-Provide a Wallet name and type in a very strong password. Remember your password should be very strong and really unique. The password should contain, preferably, more than 20 characters(use special characters to make it more stronger). I prefer a password of more than 32 characters.
-Leave the last option as “Mainnet” itself.
-Then click on “Create simple wallet”.
-Now your browser will download a wallet file. Visit the folder where the wallet was downloaded into. Make a copy of the file(Don’t cut/paste it, just copy it) and keep it somewhere safe for backup.

After you are completed with creating the wallet. Now click on “Login” button on the top right hand corner. Select the wallet name that you just created and enter in the password. Use the address in the wallet to withdraw your XEM from Poloniex. Remember never share your private key with anybody. And welcome to NEM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @iaminitnow06 I have bought some tokens on Poloniex. I have followed your steps and created the wallet. Can you guide me on how to get my tokens from the exchange to the local wallet. Also, what are the best practices for storing the tokens for long term?

Thanks!

Sure. Visit Deposits and withdrawals section under the Balances tab of Poloniex. Go to XEM and click on withdraw. Paste your NEM address form your Nano wallet, type in the amount you wish to withdraw and then click on withdraw. You’ll get a confirmation e-mail for withdrawal. Click the link on that and the XEM will be transferred to your nano wallet.

Storing you XEM safely is fairly easy if you practice even the slightest of caution. Don’t plug random usb drives to your pc, be vigilant online(don’t download programs you don’t know), Always keep your private key a secret. And yes, always have strong passwords for your e-mails and exchanges. Use 2FA wherever possible. This being said, the safest way to store XEM is using the multisig feature of the NEM platform. You’ll find all the details of Multisig and other storing methods here : https://blog.nem.io/how-to-store-your-xem-securely/. Also join our Telegram group- NEM RED https://t.me/nemred. You’ll get quick answers to your queries over there.

Thanks for your help again. I tried doing this. However, it’s not very clear how to generate my public/private key pair. On my account page, it shows an address and says ‘You need to make a transaction to get a public key’. Can you help me in this regard? Also, I will join the telegraph group. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile: