Upcoming presidential elections

This post is marked for removal. Thank you.

13 Likes

Nice thread @spaniard90. Thank you.

I would particularly like to know the migration plans for Catapult public chain.
As a business building on NEM and promoting the use of NEM towards various industries - there needs to be planning safety and that clear roadmap which you had mentioned in point (1).

Perhaps we could have an election campaign where the candidates would present their plans and agenda?
I hope somebody of the foundation can pick this up from here.

Rene, LuxTag.io

4 Likes

interesting, will notify the Council about this

3 Likes

Anything? :grimacing:

valuable lecture https://iohk.io/blog/an-open-letter-to-the-cardano-community-from-iohk-and-emurgo/

5 Likes

Great post @spaniard90
Good and valid questions.
Expect to see the foundation to take these questions seriously.

1. This is tough one. Generally NEM would take anyone to become core dev. If they can work, and continuously contribute to the core development, likes in the past, Nanowallet and NEM library. I expect once catapult public chain is launched, and code is fully open source, then started to get attention globally, we would get some genius talented developers chip in and help. From there we should be able to see some bright minds with same direction, and get them into the team.

7.(seven) Something that a lot of people (I talked to) who have shown concern about. Unless catapult public chain is launched, private chain mijin is still owned by Tech Bureau as far as I know, and we are at the mercy of them.

1. (eight) Sad case. We will see Foundation’s answer to Question 2.

seems that has not happened so far

not really sure what you’re talking about… what mercy, catapult is open source

2 Likes

I’ll try to reply to @spaniard90 questions, but in my own words. I can’t reply to some points as I haven’t worked in NEM Foundation and I don’t know all the details (funds and milestones).

Many of NEM members know me from my YouTube channel and all the community work (hosting meetups, writing blog posts, testing tools, advising on products, building tools and connecting devs with projects). I joined NEM at the beginning of 2017 and since then I expanded my knowledge and worked on as many projects I possibly could in my free time.

I am a professional blockchain researcher and developer, working mostly with databases and researching new ways of value transfers. I will candidate for the Council membership in upcoming NEM Foundation elections. I find it important to explain why. Over the last year, I’ve seen many inefficiencies in how Foundation is working and various fields which can be improved if NEM Foundation wants to stay relevant in the race for better developers and bigger community. I am not a jack of all trades type of person. Like all of us, I have some strengths and weaknesses and I believe that one can’t spread himself too thin. I know, I won’t be interested in traveling the world and speaking on conferences, I won’t be working on business partnerships. I won’t be influencing marketing teams. But I am really passionate about bringing Foundation closer to the community. We are all NEM and Foundation should be a tool for NEM blockchain to expand community’s vision. I will focus highly on bringing new people into NEM development. Below is the list of projects I will focus on in 2019 if I will become a Council member (not in the order of magnitude, just a list):

1. Creating a backbone between NEM Foundation and NEM community:
  • influence incentivization of community members
  • creating monthly calls for all concerned community members, explaining the moves of the Foundation (those that may be publicly disclosed),
  • creating a forum topic in which I will be hearing to all the criticism either towards me or the Foundation
  • adding representatives from Japan, sharing more content from Japan.
  1. Bringing up discussion about Silvercoin Fund:
  • setting up voting session just for original NEM stakeholders in which they’ll decide on the future of Silvercoin Fund.
  1. Adding more projects (e.g. new wallets) to NEM repository as official NEM projects. Finding community developers that could expand capabilities of those projects.

2. Adding NEM functionalities to more hardware wallets (e.g. Ledger Nano).

3. Incubating new developers on projects related to NEM Foundation. Picking up the greatest talents and introducing them to Catapult development (this task is basing on cooperation with Core Developers, without they help, it won’t succeed). Support creation of NEM Catapult testnet.

4. I’ll try to work out the deal with Loyalcoin team (owners of the sole NEM mosaic exchange) on developing NEMchange.com. Ideally, I would like it to be a platform where all NEM tokens could be traded, with better User Experience and APIs for coinmarketcap.

What I might do:

1. Give my small advice on creating content (more content and better content).

2. Go to the “basement meetups” for developers to speak about possibilities of NEM blockchain and careers opportunities available.

3. Exploring ways of unlocking possibilities of NEM NIS1:

• unlocking more tps (NEM is on the shallow end with only 2tps)
  • lowering the namespace and mosaic prices to bring more tokens and traffic to NEM

What I won’ do:

1. Speaking at “major” conferences
  2. Working on business relations
  3. Managing NEM marketing efforts

At the end of the day, I am still the same guy, very concerned about NEM future that would like to make a change and finally have the possibility to do it. Since I started my social media (Youtube channel about NEM) I always replied to all comments. The same strategy I’ll use for hearing the voices from the community while deciding on the crucial NEM Foundation moves.
I will judge the effectiveness of my eventual work as a council member in lines of code written for NEM related projects as well as positive comments about the output of all Foundation actions.
Thank you :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi Tony, thank you so much for your answer. If you don’t mind I have a couple of questions:

Finding community developers that could expand capabilities of those projects.
Incubating new developers on projects related to NEM Foundation. Picking up the greatest talents and introducing them to Catapult development (this task is basing on cooperation with Core Developers, without they help, it won’t succeed).

This is really cool goal, but could you please provide decomposition of this goal. What does it mean? In my understanding each of goals should have metrics and should be measurable. For example, NEM made partnership/cooperation with Devslopes. Is it good or bad deal? I think we can find the answer here - https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/devslopes.com

1. Could please provide your current achievements since you are NEMber with the math statistic (views per video/post, again it should have metrics and should be measurable).

2. Could you please set up priorities for mentioned goals.

Let me share my thoughts and critic your points.

Creating a backbone between NEM Foundation and NEM community

Let’s ask ourself “What is NEM community in current interpretation?” Developers/business and speculators. Please correct me If I’ve forgotten someone.
Speculators think ONLY about money, token price and lambo. You can easy check it taking reports of the last 5+ Community voting (they haven’t take any part in voting).

Developers and business have more value, than speculators, so need to focus on them.
Ok, how can we help them? Knowledge, structured base of knowledge. NEM Academy - place with Training Courses or Bootcamp. Course of videos for developers with detailed explanations from A to Z how to build on NEM blockchain. In order to get full success - make your own NEM certificates. How? - Just create clear training program (maybe with different lvls), cooperate with, for example, Pearson VUE (https://home.pearsonvue.com/ ), where every year millions of people around the world take an exam.

NEM Solutions - video course for business oriented people with example of PoC in supply chain industry, medicine and so on. Everything should be clear as for child.

If you make the points above, you don’t need to waste your time for online meetups.

I’ve described the working model worked in many worldwide companies. This is not something new.

As you see this solution covers half of your points. So keep in mind :slight_smile:

1. There are many HUB IT sites/forums. Why we are still not focused on it? Why do we share info about NEM on crypto oriented sites/conferences?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tony, it’s great what you were doing last months , however your behavior in many telegram chats in the past, fighting with other people tells me that you are not able to be a Council member.

But I want to give you a chance because you are the first candidate. So brave!

Some thoughts about your program:

1. A Community Manager is needed. But not a council member. Somewhere outside can be neutral.
  2. Council member is not necessary for that.
  3. COE in Europe is working on that. Japanese community is working with Racoon Wallet and more stuff. NEM US is working on the Devslopes wallet. You are promising nothing new.
  4. Stephen Chia said that there is no deal with Ledger.
  5. Picking up the biggest talents? How? A HR company is needed + High Salary.
  6. ICO market is dead. Exchanges like Coinbase are desperate listing shitcoins. 2019 is all about Securities, private chains, stable coins and a lot companies building their own protocols. Expect many Catapult forks.

Good luck!

Hey @golgo13! See, my community strategy is already working, you joined this forum just to reply to my post :slight_smile: Enjoy NEM Forum!

1 Like

1.)So who is running for presidency?
2.) Who else is running for other positions?
3.) Am I missing something because I have not seen any profiles or candidates, what they are running for and what qualifications they have, even photos or posts, except for one from Tony…is he running for President?
4.) So Nem is going to be like a government?
5.) What other entities organize themselves in this way?
6.) Has any other Crypto done this and if so why is Nem doing this?
7.)Personally all this politics leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and indeed I can see it cripple Nem, just because someone is a council member or President, means little in the business world, even I know that and for example if someone is successful in the business of Nem, then how will this improve that someone simply because they have a moniker?

Dan

1. Don’t know yet
  2. So far, Tony and Mark from Devslopes are running for council members.
  3. Before November 16th candidates need to Apostille their candidacy.
    Between November 16th and 18th all candidates for the election will submit their Candidate Policy Document to the NEM Foundation.
  4. Nem Foundation is a company with bylaws, president, council, etc . Like other companies.
    5.6 There are a lot of foundations out there. (Linux, Ethereum, Tron, Litecoin…) NF is doing because the bylaws says that. A lot of companies and Org are doing the same.
  5. The NEM.io Foundation is incorporated in Singapore as a company limited by guarantee. The sole purpose of the Foundation is to introduce, educate, and promote the use of the NEM blockchain technology platform on an international scale to all industries and institutions.

JOIN FOUNDATION AS INDIVIDUAL

JOIN FOUNDATION AS A CORPORATION

1 Like

Where one can find CV of presidential candidates in English preferably :slight_smile: ?

Probably candidates have a linkedin account.

How will Nem Council and President etc, deal with cross cultures?
Will there be candidates form SEA, Japan, Ukraine, Lithuania,Korea USA…ect ect
I mean if the foundation is incorporated in Singapore will anyone from Singapore be on the council?
How about Japan, Russia, Europe, China…not to mention South America… the list goes on.
Will there be enough representatives for multicultural cohesion?
Or is Nem going with the Facebook, Microsoft model?
Dan

Actual council and Exco members are from different countries. (Japan, Malaysia, , Australia, Europe, China, US)
I expect new council members and Excom from different countries as well. Probably a few actual members will go again to the reelection (probably different position). Will see.

1 Like

So far I found 1 linkedin account from tongokongo (IF that is him),
not impressed with leadership and skill experience but give him big
credit for not hiding behind avatars like others. BTW “Kanada” spells
with C.

NEM should copy cardano’s way of introducing principal people and
projects if they want to move on,
only than we will know what one is voting for.

Probably ?!

I also haven’t heard of any minimums regarding country specific headcount - don’t know if each country will guaranteed have a say on the new council.
Maybe there is something in the bylaws that everybody didn’t see again!

1 Like