What is the point of these 0XEM transfer transactions to an exchange?

I recently saw a couple of strange transfer transaction where the recipient is an exchange. Here are 2 examples:

I can’t understand the point of sending exactly 0 coins to the exchange? Is this an attempt to do anything malicious, just doing some stuff for fun or what is the point of it?

I also noticed that there is a message attached to a transaction, but I also fail to understand why would someone need to send a message to the exchange.

For NEM most exchanges has only one wallet. This is passible because NEM blockchain supports messaging. It allows attach message to transaction. For NEM deposit message is required because exchange need distinguish which account should this XEM tokens be assigned.
This solution is prefered by exchanges because they need store only one private key and it’s not necessary to generate addresses for users.

Why someone want send 0 XEM transaction? If no message is assigned to transaction exchange support ask to send 0 XEM transaction to verify if this account belongs to person who contacting exchange.
This creates message_code <-> exchange account <-> NEM address connection.

3 Likes