What was the longest rejected fork in NEM?

The documentation states:

Crypto currencies have the ability to roll back part the block chain. This is essential for being able to resolve forks of the block chain. There is however a maximum number of blocks that can be rolled back, this is called the rewrite limit. Hence forks can only be resolved up to a certain depth too. NEM has a rewrite limit of 360 blocks. Once a transaction has more than 360 confirmations, it cannot be reversed. In real life, forks that are deeper than 20 blocks do not happen, unless there was some severe problem with the block chain due to a bug in the code or an attack of some kind.

Just out of curiosity (I am nem_curious for a reason), what is the deepest fork that happened in NEM (and why have they happened).

You got me interested too :D.
When node is switching to peer fork there should be some info about that in log files.
I will check my nodes when I come back from work …
But having small fork on one node does not mean that split was happening in whole network.
For that you would have to monitor many nodes.

I imagine sb from core devs is monitoring this from the start. @BloodyRookie is managing supernode tests, so maybe he has also some network health monitor.

I didn’t check, usually forks are no deeper than 3 blocks, then the consensus pushes the nodes onto the same sequence of blocks again. It can happen that a node simply is having problems communicating to other nodes but that is not a real fork.

1 Like

Did you have a chance to check it?

As @rajc told information from one node will not answer your question.