Why should I invest in NEM? Voting?

In order to bring in new members to the fold, there needs to be a value proposition.  What is the value of a NEM investment?  Why should someone want to own some XEM? 

We have big plans, but unless the community can vote for the use and control of the funds, then we do not have a movement.  I submit that implementing the ability to vote within the client is paramount to NEM's success.  You can sell NEM this concept, once you own XEM you control NEM.  Of course we already know this is the case and all feel we have been helping here on the forums, IRC, and telegram chats. 

Voting could not only elevate NEM above 99% of cryptocurrency, but matching that with the sizable trust of funds for development, its time to make Voting a major push for our platform. 

1 Like

I think this sounds like a very interesting idea.

Funnily enough I was just talking to someone about how crypto could be the future of voting itself, mixing the nanny-state (passport numbers and iris scans and earlobe angles) with anonymous information.

If crypto-present is the kick back against corrupt banking, crypto-future will be a kick back against corrupt democracy. But that's a talk for another day :slight_smile:

I vote YES to Mr Learys proposal, and look forward to hearing arguments against it, in the spirit of educated decision-making.

1 Like

All for it but i question the priority of it. E.g. m out of n multi-sig should be implemented first.

I like the idea. How would we ensure 1 person 1 vote rather than people with an ulterior motive generating multiple accounts to increase voting in a certain way? Could PoI be used as an entry criteria, could the NEM wallet have to have existed for a period of time?

KC

I like the idea. How would we ensure 1 person 1 vote rather than people with an ulterior motive generating multiple accounts to increase voting in a certain way? Could PoI be used as an entry criteria, could the NEM wallet have to have existed for a period of time?

KC

Yes, POI has to be used to ensure people aren't manipulating the polls.
Votes should probably be weighted according to importance of the voting account. That actually makes sense because people with high importance are also likely to vote for what they think is best for the NEM and not give in to some other motive.

Yea need to use POI, and make it cost a small amount of XEM :slight_smile:

Imagine the use case if NEM can be used for a low cost, as a stable and provable voting system.  Could be the niche that fuels moon rocket :slight_smile:

I’m new investor… I thought NEM already had a voting system in place…? What are the current requirements to be able to vote if so? I do like the proposal of one person one vote based off of poi and charging a small fee.

There has always been voting, but just recently the Nanowallet voting module was released.

Oh okay

A voting system can be much more complex than simply voting for one proposal or another. There could be a parliament of people elected to study the technology and have greater voting power over the paths to be followed, or maybe different parliaments with different powers, or something more complex than that.