Why we may fail,

Why we may fail,

this view does not have to be shared but to be considered.

Decentralization is an often used term in the crypto world. It is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It promises a balanced distribution of power and interpretation sovereignty. At the same time, a decentralized structure prevents the achievement of concrete goals. Anyone who thinks of a decentralized society or order has not understood the world and the people themselves. It is a Utopian thought, the kind of philosophy that is nice to think but impossible to implement. Man likes to centralize himself, since it is useful. An example of this is urbanization. Or to look into the past, the Roman Empire. This appointed in times of war or distress an autocrat to act fast and effective.
Projects that are managed decentrally have similar problems. There is a lack of uniform vision and implementation. Different spheres of influence are formed with different interests. These interests can be difficult to identify without common leadership. To illustrate this, where is / was Apple without Steve Jobs? Central leadership can provide security and motivation, there is a proverb in Germany: trust is good, control is better.

1 Like

Peoples understanding of Decentralization is the problem as its fixed on the meaning defined by computer science. Rather Decentralization can also be an ecosystem of Coin projects that are centrally run, such as we have in economics with companies and businesses. Lets be honest here most cryptocurrenices are centralised and directed by a core group and decentralization is an illusion.

2 Likes

When talking about failure you first need to define succes.

NEM has good characteristics; it shows women can fulfill roles in tradtionally male dominated environments, it has a nice community (especially in Japan) and there are some very nice people working at NEM, the project is also good at pointing out to universities and enterprises the potential of blockchain technology. From this point of view you could consider it a succes.

From an investor point of view however, considering most efforts of NEM Foundation are focused on transitioning, rather than expansion, this is disastrous in an environment that is so terribly competitive. Again for small scale usage I think NEM is nice, however I don’t think it still has that mainstream appeal anymore from an industrial point of view. NEM rose to the top of CMC because it was ahead of its time and there was not much competition, now I consider NEM as a solid community project, nothing more, nothing less. Anything can happen, and I hope NEM will grow organically, however with so much competition in this space, I think it will be an uphill battle.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.