Anybody with low power computer (or even single board computer) running NIS/NCC?

Im curious about the needed performance for NIS/NCC. Since the network spam test we know there is a performance problem and the devs are already working on it. But I would like to link up with everybody who is running NIS/NCC on a low power computer or raspberry pi/banana pi/cubieboard or whatever.

I run on the smallest digitalocean node.

IMHO it makes no sense to have the whole thing (NIS + NCC) running on a low-powered device.
Why not just have NIS running and connect to it via NCC remotely ?

IMHO it makes no sense to have the whole thing (NIS + NCC) running on a low-powered device.

NCC doesnt need much CPU, so that does not make a big difference. And for daily use it is pretty nice to just open your browser, click on a bookmark and login. No need to start any other software...

NCC doesnt need much CPU, so that does not make a big difference. And for daily use it is pretty nice to just open your browser, click on a bookmark and login. No need to start any other software...

Not wrong.
I'd still prefer my setup as my wallet doesn't have to lie on the remote device.

Not wrong.
I'd still prefer my setup as my wallet doesn't have to lie on the remote device.

I use a win 7 notebook for daily use. I feel safer to have my .wlt file on the low power computer (linux with use of iptables and fail2ban->ssh) than on the windows pc :D
We are not talking about a remote device like a vserver or whatever but a computer which is in your local network.

Not wrong.

I use a win 7 notebook for daily use. I feel safer to have my .wlt file on the low power computer (linux with use of iptables and fail2ban->ssh) than on the windows pc :D
We are not talking about a remote device like a vserver or whatever but a computer which is in your local network.

I agree with you but not necessarily for the same reasons. Running NIS on remote server that is purpose built for the tasks means you can dedicate it to one thing and protect it. The standard Windows client is designed to be multi-purpose, good enough at many tasks, two of those tasks being browsing the web and reading emails. These two tasks are the most likely way to fall fowl of malicious attacks.

What I would say is that if you have no previous experience of Linux then I'm not sure building a secure NIS deployment is necessarily the best start. Give it a go but be careful and take your time to understand things so that don't end up with a less secure setup because of experience than you might have on Windows because you have more experience.

I'm trying to get NIS running 24x7 on a Raspberry Pi and then connect using my laptop. I've had some success but I need to do more work because I do get a lot of "NIS unavailable" issues. The same doesn't happen with a remote virtual CentOS server.

KC

Of course you need some experience to run a Linux NIS safely. But most of the things, that you should know for that, aren't really specific Linux stuff.
Examples:
- Use really strong passwords for user accounts and root (especially if ssh is used).
- Your router shouldn't be completely open, but only the port(s) you need.
- Get some software which blocks IPs which are bruteforcing ssh (fail2ban).
- …

I'm trying to get NIS running 24x7 on a Raspberry Pi and then connect using my laptop. I've had some success but I need to do more work because I do get a lot of "NIS unavailable" issues. The same doesn't happen with a remote virtual CentOS server.

I am experiencing that as well with the cubieboard. An I think it happens because the performance of 0.4.12-BETA is still pretty bad.

512M digitalocean VPS, Is that low enouth?
Even can't get running without creating swap space. :)
It all went well except for the ongoing NIS sync problem.

Yes, it definitely is :D

Are you running NCC on the same machine?

I just installed 0.4.17-BETA and let my cubieboard 3 calculate 5 days (block 13960 - 22531) with an old database which was at block 13960.
-> It took 24 minutes. I think that is pretty good for an ARM Cortex-A7 Dual-Core 1GHz CPU.

I also tried to send a transaction by using the web interface on my win 7 notebook connecting to the NCC at cubieboard via local network. It has a little delay (~ 3 sceonds) but then says "transaction confirmed". Good job, devs!

I just installed 0.4.17-BETA and let my cubieboard 3 calculate 5 days (block 13960 - 22531) with an old database which was at block 13960.
-> It took 24 minutes....

How did you workout the age and block height of the database? My RPi is not doing anywhere near as well and keep throwing memory exceptions. To be honest it seems worse than previous builds

KC

I just checked the status in the web interface. Plus I knew that I didn't have it running for 5 days.

Your RasPi is probably having problems because there are a lot of transactions in the last time (because of several bots). I am not able to run NIS 24/7 either. After some hours its throwing exceptions and I have to restart NIS. We definitaly need more performance fixing.

Edit:
In the last time I often can't even see the transaction list without a
"Oops!

ERROR 305

NEM Infrastructure Server is not available."

I just checked the status in the web interface. Plus I knew that I didn't have it running for 5 days.

Your RasPi is probably having problems because there are a lot of transactions in the last time (because of several bots). I am not able to run NIS 24/7 either. After some hours its throwing exceptions and I have to restart NIS. We definitaly need more performance fixing.

Edit:
In the last time I often can't even see the transaction list without a
"Oops!

ERROR 305

NEM Infrastructure Server is not available."

Thanks for the info, useful to know I am not alone. I'm hoping that if it can catch-up to the current block their maybe a better chance of it staying up to date without crashing. As is NIS is reporting block 25201.

KC

Thanks for the info, useful to know I am not alone. I'm hoping that if it can catch-up to the current block their maybe a better chance of it staying up to date without crashing. As is NIS is reporting block 25201.

At least for me this is not the case. NIS is synchronized after some time, but after some hours it crashes anyway.

0.4.28-BETA works great so far.
Since 14 hours now: NIS and NCC are running on the cubieboard, web interface on another machine is connected to NCC, harvesting running, spambot with a transaction every 20 seconds running.
-> No problems.  8)

0.4.28-BETA works great so far.
Since 14 hours now: NIS and NCC are running on the cubieboard, web interface on another machine is connected to NCC, harvesting running, spambot with a transaction every 20 seconds running.
-> No problems.  8)

thats good news

Good news. I'll finish my Raspi config =)

Android tapatalk =)

Good news. I'll finish my Raspi config =)

Android tapatalk =)

Hello

How much memory does this your machine have?

1 core @700 MHz and 512 RAM. If you are thinking to buy onde, dind do this. Buy on banana PI (2 core @1ghz with 1gb ram  if i do remember),
[emoji13]

Android tapatalk =)

1 core @700 MHz and 512 RAM. If you are thinking to buy onde, dind do this. Buy on banana PI (2 core @1ghz with 1gb ram  if i do remember),
[emoji13]

Android tapatalk =)

And you say that NIS runs smoothly on that your machine?
What values have you put in the "nix.runNis.sh" file  instead of "-Xms512M -Xmx1G" ?