Branding for NEM

Any ideas for a new name/brand for NEM? I am not saying we should change, but just want some ideas.

Can everyone submit 3 names that don’t have the following words:

• coin
  • money
  • block
  • chain
  • crypto
  • currency

??

Stack
Pass
Keychain

(yes, I know that last one breaks the rule, but I still think it is applicable and keeps the spirit of your rule. I once heard somebody say that “wallets” aren’t wallets at all in Bitcoin, what they actually are are “keychains” and I was like… “uhm, yeah, that is actually right. All a wallet is in Bitcoin is a place you keep all your keys in one place, so really basically just like a key chain.” And nobody else has really taken on that word, so I think it is free game still. Not only is a wallet more like a keychain you use for your house keys and car keys, but in someways a blockchain is actually a “keychain” too in that it is a ledger of keys chained together always building on each other, or maybe you could say “stacked” together when each stack is a block. I think a stack is more accurate than a block, so a blockchain, which doesn’t really mean anything to anybody intuitively could be called a “keystack”, and while that isn’t much more intuitive, I think it is some. Because for one while keys could be stacked on each other, blocks are never chained together. Only links are chained together.)

I kind of favor real words for branding than made up ones.

Ex. Apple over Google
Amazon over Microsoft

element
mesh
carbon

Hard to get away from block/chain/crypto words

1 Like

gear

fit to blockchain and currency
beause u want it mainly a toolbox to be able host services and apps on top of it

if u want a differnt name for the chain then

clockwork as the chain and gear as the currency unit

if u set up a service utilizing the clockwork chain
u have gear inside ur services that move around (basical as tx fee but also as fee for other stuff the clockwork chain provide like register names and create assets and so on)

clockwork i think is great it sound technical it sound accurate

here in austria if something works perfect we say

like a swiss clockwork

its basical a positive word

only negative way to use it when its attached to stress like emotions

like saying im trapped in the situation like a gear in a clockwork

i have to operate i cant escape

KASHA - it’s a ninja bomb
火車

Kasha is also a nutritious grain.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-kasha.html

http://thebirkettmills.com/products.asp?ProductType=5

Feeding the blockchains needs of the world, lol

elemental

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elemental%20?s=t

ele men tal

symmetry

Six Sigma

Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving toward six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process – from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service.

I don’t think there is a better name to have for an endeavor. It’s a difficult name to live up to, and a bold statement to make.

1 Like

Six Sigma would be an amazing name!

Erm…nope! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 sigma is such an ancient thing.

I like to look at greek words for inspiration:
asphalia/asphalis/asphalon… (assurance/security)
dynata,dynaton,dynamy (power, possible)
axia (value)

google translate is your friend :slight_smile:

To not embrace σ is to remain ignorant of its use and meaning in economic, business, and other statistical mathematics, much less physics and every major field of science, in which sigma represents a major idea/variable/set.

It’s not inaccessible nor is it overused. It certainly isn’t a thing that crypto nerds think about: real economic theory, real business things, actual statistical mathematics.

For someone to be an exceptional programmer and well-educated in advanced scientific economics… well, wouldn’t that be something…

I particularly like sigma in the context of income convergence. In economic growth literature the term “convergence” can have two meanings. The first kind (“sigma-convergence”) refers to a reduction in the dispersion of levels of income across economies.

It’s also used to measure the elasticity of investment for labor, meaning, the positive or negative rate of substitution of one for the other, ranging from infinitesimally small up to 1. It can be a positive or negative coefficient.

Here sigma would represent +1σ, which would indicate that more investment or more hard work are equally important. Which would jive with what a startup New Economy Movement would be doing.

In mathematical statistics that econometrics borrowed methods from, it means standard deviation, which is a parameter. Within one standard deviation is safe, normal. +σ indicates better than average, and this could be said “sigma plus”, but that’s a little clunky.

In physics it measures the amount of accuracy in testing. The more σ, the more representative of reality, therefore, truth, the findings are.

That’s enough for now :smiley:

six sigma is sort of “taken”, it doesnt make sense imo to use that term for something else, it is way too popular.

generally, as i already mentioned in telegram red channel, i think we should get rid of the “new economy movement” crap, but keep “nem”. if we dont find good words for the acronym, then just “nem”.

rebranding is quite some work and i personally think we can use the time for something better. “nem” as such is not bad, just what it stands for right now sucks.

3 Likes

I completely agree with mixmaster. Actually he expressed my own opinion better than I did in earlier attempts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I think this is the best approach. We’ve been identified as NEM, changing the name now doesnt make sense. But I have no problem dropping the acronym ‘New Economy Movement’

Changing the identity now would be a step backwards. Besides, having the coolest branding only adds sec appeal and attracts people that may be harmful. It’s better to let the good news propagate. Someone just bought 11M nem a moment ago, so that’s probably a result of the good news.

1 Like