Branding Proposal

NIS1 is still NEM, is still XEM. NEM doesn’t go away-Symbol is the name for Catapult.
I hope that clarifies a bit more.

1 Like

Dear NEM/Symbol Foundation

I want to confirm the trademark status of “Symbol” and "Symbl"in Japan.
Please tell me the identification number of the registered trademark.

Thanks.

It’s good. I like the simplicity. However this one thing doesn’t sit right with me.

Symbol. From NEM.

It sounds a bit alien. Like a foreign translation. There is some thought behind it (Symbol evolved from NEM), but I believe NEM is such a strong term that stands for the community, the developers, and the project, that we can safely say:

Symbol. By NEM.

It has the added benefit of keeping the strong NEM name in stead of hinting towards NEM as the Neanderthal that died while giving birth to the first human (Symbol), as well as the entire crypto scene not mistakenly regarding this as a translation error.

I think “From NEM” is intellectually overshooting our goals, and marketing-wise “By NEM” is better. What do you all think about this?

1 Like

There is still no secure Electron app available. A lot of people will not vote then. I will not use the “Universal” wallet. It means opening a single factor authentication wallet in the browser (with dozens of extensions). At least my bank has 3 factor MFA.

Edit: just got clarification from Nate (CTO). New mobile wallet is electron app. Nanowallet is not yet. This is on the list.

What the team is building is already an electron app! :+1:t2: Thanks for the thoughtful feedback too.

2 Likes

We had this in the original scope. It was explored as Powered By NEM… By NEM… From NEM. I like By NEM. As long as it has some tie back to NEM, I’ll be happy. Let me go back and chat with agency. I’ve been sharing community’s feedback with them as it comes in.

2 Likes

We have a new brand because this is a new product that has inconsistencies in code to N1S1. Coincheck hack had hurt our brand originally but that was not the deciding or only factor for why we needed a new brand.
The discovery deck in the proposal explains many reasons why this decision was made.

We now have a house of brands which means we have multiple products under one brand. NEM.

1 Like

How is the vote looking?

I’m not sure if “yes” already has it. If so, this is not important (to me). But I hope the Electron desktop wallet will be released before Christmas.

Actually, I strongly think there should have been an Electron wallet for desktop before we started with these votes. The issue has been open for more than 10 months. I already skipped on the other vote that had its deadline today.

Some people will not import a wallet into the browser or a mobile phone for reasons. I apologize for being so conservative. :mask:

You bring up valid and fair points and I agree with you. We need this and it’s been in the works. Part of the reason in bringing in Nate as CTO was so we would have a strong, well thought out tech strategy for development, product roadmap, CRM, deep platform knowledge, training, enterprise knowledge, and ability to execute on this vision. So we aren’t launching a product without having a rock solid operational spine to build and scale against. Nate has worked with core devs for the past few years so there is also trust between the teams which in a decentralized environment is critical.

2 Likes

Also you asked about the vote. You can get real time status here on how it’s evolving: http://explorer.nemtool.com/#/poll?id=5dfc0295d175da2d629e1205

2 Likes

Not sure if you are aware, but just in case: NEM has a multisig feature which is an equivalent of 2/3/x factor authentication.
You could also use an offline transaction feature on Nanowallet.

Thank you for thinking with me. 2FA or MFA is authentication by using two or more different factors (e.g. knowledge, possession, inherence, biometrics). Multisig is multiple instances of the same factor, namely knowledge. If your browser is leaking keystrokes, it does not matter if you have to enter one, two or three keys. So for this to be secure, I would have to carry two laptops with me, with two wallets. This is not a realistic use case for me.

Interesting. Can I vote this way? Can I generate a vote transaction in the 2.3.2 NanoWallet?

Pretty easy to use a phone and laptop.

2 Likes

Great work, I think this is a nice improvement to the brand but I do think we need some better ticker options.

1 Like

Regarding the choice between ‘Symbol’ and Symbl.

Symbol could be better due to people Googling the word Symbol (for other purposes - it’s a common word), and possibly coming across ‘Symbol from NEM’.

Vote is a regular transaction, you just send an empty transaction to “yes” address or “no” address

2 Likes

But Symbols purpose in JavaScript is to be unique :thinking:

var lol = Symbol(“catapult”);
Not ironic

I checked the Japanese trademark registration but could not find the Symbol Foundation’s registration.

Please tell me the identification number of the registered trademark.

This is answer is exactly what I need.

The documents in this thread mentions the poll address: NC4GOQS4ETBF4NZZJNCPAIOCQ2ROVNBX7LIL4C6S

How can I deduct the yes and no addresses from that? They are not in the block explorer or the poll page.

That said, I see room for improvement in the poll page (show addresses of options) and the proposal poll instructions from now on. :slight_smile: