Hi @r3n3 thanks for flagging the above.
Personally, I like Polkadot and have been keeping an eye on their progress for a couple of years, they are doing some great stuff and the bridge idea is definitely a good step forward. It reminds me a bit of the approach you also see in Kyber and in Ren.
In terms of having it in the ecosystem, I’d support the idea and agree it would create great value for Symbol. I have a list of 15-20 product ideas I’ve been collecting, either from TG/forum/twitter or my own ones, so that we can start looking at which are possible, priorities etc as Nem Software gets going on things other than launch.
Challenge between now and launch is that the teams have pretty full backlogs of things that need to happen to make sure Symbol launches so its unlikely NSL will have capacity to add to them before launch. But if the community were to pull a team together and go for the grant, I would certainly support and be more than happy to make as much noise about the connection.
There are a few others that are worth considering, each of which has different cost/benefit of the efforts, I haven’t heard of grants for them (but havent looked either)
- Eth: I believe a PoC was done and certainly makes sense to have a standard for wrapping assets from Symbol to Eth
- Polkadot: for reasons outlined above and because it is coming up behind Eth due to congestion, fees and functionality (plus we use a common finality solution)
- Ren: Because it is kind of “middleware as a protocol” and lets you connect to any others that are connected to it, traction is early still though
- Kyber: Traction is better and they have a few networks connected to but as less noisy in general
- BTC: Because…well its BTC
Probably a good start point for anyone looking at it would be to get a good understanding of the Using a secret lock transaction for an atomic cross-chain swap - NEM Catapult 101 and assess which other chains support the opposite side of it. In the case of Polkadot, I would imagine deploying the bridge connector to their chain would give the opposite side.
But basically, yes Rene, this is something that would be great for the ecosystem and if you want to pull it together, I’d would be happy to support the effort, its just not something thats likely to be in the NSL delivery capacity pre launch for our dev teams specifically, post launch, whole different conversation I think.