Double Check Your Private Keys

Double Check Your Private Keys

The core developers wish to

Do I need to update NEM to be able to do this? Or will 5.4 do just fine?

Any version that has the verify real account function should work afaik.

Nice idea - but very short notice for something compulsory.  I am a supporter and have really nothing bad to say at all about this whole process, like the care being taken, like the rigorous rooting out of socks, like the focus on quality over timing - all good.  I've downloaded several versions of client, was active on the forum for a couple of months… but I have to say I got a little tired of downloading successive versions of the client and then a little while later, downloading another.  Not fed up - just put my attentions elsewhere for a while.  A watched pot never boils.  so I've been waiting until there's a final, final version of the client until I download the next.  I've been checking in every now & then & never ever made any comment about hurrying up - it takes however long it takes, I'm sure devs have day jobs/families /whatever.  But I think it's fair to say I was reasonable in waiting till there was a release date set until downloading another version of the client.  Also reasonable of you to say - release date not set, but this is definitely the final version so please check it works.  But if you want people to do something new or risk their stake (I have more riding on this than any other crypto), we need a fair warning.  I'm away for a few days, back on 25th.  I have a real address saved, I've been through the whole process already ( a couple of times). I'll check when I'm back, presumably all will be well.  If there's some new problem, caused by the client update, I'm afraid i won't be too happy to be told it's my fault for being away when some fresh deadline got sprung…

Nice idea - but very short notice for something compulsory.  I am a supporter and have really nothing bad to say at all about this whole process, like the care being taken, like the rigorous rooting out of socks, like the focus on quality over timing - all good.  I've downloaded several versions of client, was active on the forum for a couple of months.... but I have to say I got a little tired of downloading successive versions of the client and then a little while later, downloading another.  Not fed up - just put my attentions elsewhere for a while.  A watched pot never boils.  so I've been waiting until there's a final, final version of the client until I download the next.  I've been checking in every now & then & never ever made any comment about hurrying up - it takes however long it takes, I'm sure devs have day jobs/families /whatever.  But I think it's fair to say I was reasonable in waiting till there was a release date set until downloading another version of the client.  Also reasonable of you to say - release date not set, but this is definitely the final version so please check it works.  But if you want people to do something new or risk their stake (I have more riding on this than any other crypto), we need a fair warning.  I'm away for a few days, back on 25th.  I have a real address saved, I've been through the whole process already ( a couple of times). I'll check when I'm back, presumably all will be well.  If there's some new problem, caused by the client update, I'm afraid i won't be too happy to be told it's my fault for being away when some fresh deadline got sprung...

You don't even need the latest client to check your data.
If priv-keys all of a sudden were broken because of a client update then obv we wouldn't launch with that client.

Any version that has the verify real account function should work afaik.

Yes, it should.
How ever in one of the very early version i remember there being a problem with copy&pase so maybe try with the latest client before reporting a broken address or key.

Double Checked!

+1, verified

Everything seems good. Your entered address, public key, and private key match.

Triple checked+registered list.

Hey!!  it is not so difficult!!  DO iT!!

Damn i forget my password doctor
How can i do?

ok patmast3r - thanks very much - will check. & thanks for all the hard work!
john

How can i do?

Do you mean wallet password?
You can always make new wallet and check
your keys with it.

How can i do?

Do you mean wallet password?
You can always make new wallet and check
your keys with it.

Thanks doctor
Everything is ok! Ready for the launch!
  1. Opened NEM client and clicked on the button 'open your wallet'
    2. Client seemed to have found 1 wallet I created for registering the stake
    3. Clicked on the Name, entered my passphrase into the password field. Got an error 121 'address book file does not exist'. WTH?

~ NEM forum chatbox suggested it as a bug ~

4. Clicked on the button 'create a new wallet' and typed in the same name and the same password as the wallet mentioned in bullet number 2: Error 109 'Another wallet with the same name exists already'

~ Alright alright… I'll create a whole new wallet then ~

5. Created a whole new wallet with a new passphrase. And brought into the wallet.
    6. Clicked on the cogwheel icon on the top-left corner and chose 'Verify Real Account Data'
    7. Entered the Address, Public and private key of the wallet mentioned in bullet number 2.
    8 'SUCCESS. 'Everything seems good. Your entered address, public key, and private key match.'

Nice. double and triple checked it. Thanks, although I still cannot login to my first wallet. :slight_smile:

Safest way to check is as follows:
1. Download the installer to a system(trojan free) on which NEM has never been installed before.
2. Install it.
3. Create a wallet and boot a node.
4. Disconnect from the internet.
5. Verify real account information.(Everything seems to be good…COOL!!) If all is not well, Create new real account info. Save the address,public key and private key. Send the new account details to makoto or patmast3r asap.
6. Close program. Go to control panel and uninstall the NEM software and delete all the shortcuts.
7. Go to c:\users\your-pc-name\ and delete the NEM folder.
This way nobody will even know that anything related to NEM ever happened in the pc.

(NOTE: -There is no need to download the whole blockchain to verify real account info.
-If you do not wish to copy paste the real account info, you could always take a screenshot and save the picture for better security. And then you can type in the real account info on launch.)

after i copy the address, public and private key, then click verify
nothing happen…what does that mean?

nothing happen....what does that mean?

Close and try again.

nothing happen....what does that mean?

You have to use localhost not remote NIS I thing for this check.

No you don't even need nis running once your inside the client

I had a successfully check, but my wallet is empty, it's correct? Next step is refill the NEM coins?